Author Topic: better than calling him "Maccca"  (Read 620 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
better than calling him "Maccca"
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
"During my general election campaign for the U.S. Senate, for example, my____________ opponent assigned a young man to track all my public appearances with a handheld camera. This has become fairly routine operating procedure in many campaigns, but whether because the young man was overzealous or whether he had been instructed to try and provoke me, his tracking came to resemble stalking. From morning to night, he followed me everywhere, usually from a distance of no more than five or ten feet. He would film me riding down elevators. He would film me coming out of the restroom. He would film me on my cell phone, talking to me wife and children.

"At first, I tried reasoning with him. I stopped to ask his name, told him that I understood he had a job to do, and suggested that he keep enough of a distance to allow me to have a conversation without him listening in. In the face of my entreaties, he remained largely mute, other than to say his name was Justin. I suggested that he call his boss and find out whether this was in fact what the campaign intended for him to do. He told me that I was free to call myself and gave me the number. After two or three days of this, I decided I'd had enough. With Justin fast on my heels, I strolled into the press office of the state capitol building and asked some of the reporters who were having lunch to gather round.

" 'Hey, guys,' I said. 'I want to introduce you to Justin. Justin here's been assigned by the _______ campaign to stalk me wherever I go.'

"As I explained the situation, Justin stood there, continuing to film. The reporters turned to him and started peppering him with questions.

" 'You follow him into the bathroom?'

" 'Are you this close to him all the time?'

"Soon several news crews arrived with their cameras to film Justin filming me. Like a prisoner of war, Justin kept repeating his name, his rank, and the telephone number of his candidate's campaign headquarters. By six o'clock, the story of Justin was on most local broadcasts. The story ended up blanketing the state for a week--cartoons, editorials, and sports radio chatter. After several days of defiance, my opponent succumbed to the pressure, asked Justin to back up a few feet, and issued an apology. Still, the damage to his campaign was done. People might not have understood our contrasting views on Medicare or Middle East diplomacy. But they knew that my opponent's campaign had violated a value--a civil behavior--that they considered important."

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94138