Author Topic: The passing of a legend: Arthur C. Clarke  (Read 1855 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The passing of a legend: Arthur C. Clarke
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »

Arthur C. Clarke, a giant of modern science fiction, has died in Sri Lanka at the age of 90. An aide told the Associated Press that Clarke had been suffering from breathing problems and had been in and out of the hospital.

It didn't seem possible that we would ever hear such news: Didn't Clarke seem timeless? As unchanged as the monolith discovered on the moon in the story "The Sentinel"? That story was later expanded into the novel "2001: A Space Odyssey." He was as prolific (the A.P. estimates that he authored more than 100 books) as he was optimistic about science and technology. His name is everywhere.

In his characteristically sniffy manner, critic Thomas Disch once called Clarke's "2010," a followup of sorts to "2001," as representative of the science fiction genre's "meat-and-potatoes mid-range." He also grudgingly pointed out that Isaac Asimov and Clarke were "as close to household words as any writers in the field."

Clarke certainly reached the mainstream, but not only because of his speculations about the future. I think it was also because readers detected something else dominant in much of his work: the presence of religion. That's what has always drawn me to him, and that is what has always startled students in my writing classes when, near the semester's end, I ask them to read a brief story of Clarke's called "The Star." A starship's chief astrophysicist, who also happens to be a Jesuit priest, undergoes a religious crisis when he realizes that a star that went supernova 2,000 years ago, annihilating the peace-loving inhabitants of a nearby planet, was the same star that brought the magi to Bethlehem to witness the birth of Jesus. The priest's realization of this is moving and ironic: It never fails to disappoint the students.

If there's any legacy that Clarke has left us, it is that science doesn't solve the problems of the human condition. In fact, science forces us to wrestle even more deeply with our beliefs, choices and what we understand about ourselves. Clarke struck notes that were poignant and challenging, as with this final, anguished question which ends "The Star":

"There can be no reasonable doubt: the ancient mystery is solved at last. Yet, oh God, there were so many stars you could have used. What was the need to give these people to the fire, that the symbol of their passing might shine above Bethlehem?"

Nick Owchar

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2008/03/the-passing-of.html
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The passing of a legend: Arthur C. Clarke
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
I thought he was a older than 90. His first novel I read a very long time ago, about a British astronaut who was forced by the lack of British funds for space exploration, to travel in a coffin-shaped craft around the moon. I don't think he was religious as much as he was spiritual. He certainly was no sort of traditional Christian. His message to me seemed to be that both science and such ultimate truths as might exist are perhaps at least  unknowable in part, but worth pursuing because of other things we might learn in our quest to make sense of the Universe.

One of the leitmotifs of his work seemed to be that all knowledge brings with it an ironic set of unforseen disadvantages, not unlike Adam and Eve munching on the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, and discovering shame.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »
Clarke was responsible for my love of science fiction...one of my favorite books - and one that I can read over and over - is Childhood's End.  I've always wanted to see that made into a movie.

Rich

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:25:41 AM »
I particularly enjoyed the Rama series.

Rich

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:44 AM »
Hey Missus,

I'm sure you already know, but I'm geared up about the Hobbit being made ino a film.

http://derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »
Oh, so am I! And I was outraged when the original decision was to leave Peter Jackson out of the loop. I can't imagine any film associated with Tolkien being made without him or the geniuses at WETA. Thank goodness that's been resolved.

I just wonder if they're going to 'back-date' Ian Holm in order to play a younger Bilbo - in The Fellowship of the Ring, that was accomplished by using tape to pull his skin tighter, but I doubt that trick would work for the length of an entire film shoot.  I'm not sure who else would be suitable to play the role.

Rich

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
>I'm not sure who else would be suitable to play the role.<<

Yeah, it's going to be a tough decision. It's like picking someone to play Batman, Superman, or any character that people have been seeing in their minds eye for decades.

But hey, more Tolkien is always a good thing!

(A house we're looking at in Jacksonville is on Tolkien Ave. .... unfair! How can I be objective when I could have an address like that!)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
Clarke was a very strong writer , his wildest fantasys seemed plausable , and included scientific principals that became more understandable from the vivid word pictures , for example , the curved waterfalls of Rama.

I really liked Clarke .

Clark and Gygax die the same month , geeks everywhere are reeling.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:41:17 PM »
I really like this:
Clarke's three laws
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Arthur C. Clarke formulated the following three "laws" of prediction:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
   2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
   3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Cynthia

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »
At least he made it to the YEAR 2001!

I'll be on spring break tomorrow for two weeks!

I'll have to pick up a good Sci Fi book to read 'in his honor'.
 :)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »

Read Peter F. Hamilton's Realty Dysfunction series yet?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »

Read Peter F. Hamilton's Realty Dysfunction series yet?

Omygosh, No, Ami, but I'll check into the used book online,..thanks!