Author Topic: Obama's Grandmother Dies At Age 86  (Read 9378 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama's Grandmother Dies At Age 86
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:40 PM »
he supported the reauthorization of the "Assault Weapons" ban. That reauthorization would have outlawed my WWII-era bolt action hunting rifle.

I have this feeling that you have sufficient other weapons to continue hunting unimpeded.

All the WWII-era wildlife have died of old age by now, anyway.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »
The literal nazi, strikes again
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 07:56:14 PM »
I have this feeling that you have sufficient other weapons to continue hunting unimpeded.

I have this feeling that you do not want to discuss this seriously.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 03:50:39 AM »
Is this really what it is going to be for the next four years?

What next four years? Can you say forever?

Let's see - when I started in 3DHS, Clinton was president, and Republicans were tearing him apart for every little thing.

Then 8 years of Bush, and the Dems have been having their Clinton revenge and tearing him to pieces.

Now it's back to a Dem and office and the next 4 - 8 years will be spent with the Repubs having THEIR revenge and tearing him down.

And 'round and 'round we go.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »

I have this feeling that you do not want to discuss this seriously.
=========================================================================

I am fairly certain that you do not depend on shooting guns for either your survival or principal recreational activity. But if you can still shoot a deer or elk, or moose with a weapon that you enjoy shooting, I do not think that your choice of weapons is a major problem even for you.. What you can or cannot amuse yourself with shooting is not a serious matter for me.

In the same way my success or lack of same at completing Mist or Riven (or my favorite choice of protein)  is a serious matter for you.

If your best motive for owning a rifle designed to shoot humans with involves a potential use against overthrowing an oppressive government, then that would surely be more illegal than any law Obama might want to pass against your using your favorite homicidal toy. I really doubt that any bill will be passed which would involve anyone actually taking your antique firearm away from you, anyway.

So I really dont think that this is in any way a serious matter. Certainly not for me, and a streatch for you, in my opinion.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »
If your best motive for owning a rifle designed to shoot humans with involves a potential use against overthrowing an oppressive government, then that would surely be more illegal than any law Obama might want to pass against your using your favorite homicidal toy. I really doubt that any bill will be passed which would involve anyone actually taking your antique firearm away from you, anyway.

Any firearm designed to shoot humans is also designed to shoot any other form of large animal. It so happens that the hunting rifle I speak of (of which I own 3 different varieties - same caliber but different stocks / scopes) was made by the British for their military. My favorite is a British sniper rifle from WWII, it is excellent to shoot. Since these rifles are designed for military use and capable of accepting a magazine greater than 10 rounds (even though I don't use large magazines) they would have been banned by the previously mentioned legislation. And it's ludicrous to consider a bolt action rifle to be an "assault weapon" of any sort.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »
they would have been banned by the previously mentioned legislation.

=======================================
As they say, "If we had some ham, we could have hams and eggs. if we had some eggs". No law exists or was passed, only proposed and rejected.

I suppose your hunting does not resemble assault on wildlife, and if an assault weapon is an automatic weapon (hold down the trigger and spray bullets all about), then a bolt action rifle is not an assault weapon.

I am going to say that I do not believe that any of your antique British weaponry is likely to be even on the top 100 of the objectives of the Obama administration. It would make sense to just outlaw magazines of over 10 rounds. I doubt that anyone really needs more than 10 rounds at once for hunting, since deer rarely hide out in trenches or bunkers and shoot back. Mostly, they are unarmed (except for horns and hooves) and when they  hear one shot they tend to flee the scene.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »
No law exists or was passed, only proposed and rejected.

Yes, and Obama - IIRC - supported that legislation (regardless of whether or not it passed). That makes him anti-gun.

It's pretty simple, really.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »
That makes him anti-gun.

=======================
Anti- a particular kind of gun at a particular point in time, perhaps.

He's not anti- all kind of hunting guns.

You are still free to go out and kill or wound large mammals at will. I am pretty sure that you will not lose this right even four years hence.
It's a pretty minor issue, in any case.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »
That makes him anti-gun.

=======================
Anti- a particular kind of gun at a particular point in time, perhaps.

He's not anti- all kind of hunting guns.

You are still free to go out and kill or wound large mammals at will. I am pretty sure that you will not lose this right even four years hence.
It's a pretty minor issue, in any case.

Is he against the public owning wepons that make the public dangerous to the government?

Is he planning to earn the ire of the public?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »
Is he against the public owning wepons that make the public dangerous to the government?

Is he planning to earn the ire of the public?

==========================================
Obama has said that he is not going to take away anyone's guns--atleast not those that are now legal.

The goal of gun control is to reduce violent crime. With as many pistols as Americans own, I doubt that a ban would accomplish much. But in other countries, handgun murders are a tiny fraction of what they are here. Rifles, being difficult to conceal, are rarely used in crime, and therefore are less a threat.

I seriously doubt that any group could overthrown the govt. with hunting weapons, considering the sort of equipment the government now owns.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »
The goal of gun control is to reduce violent crime.

No it isn't
With as many pistols as Americans own, I doubt that a ban would accomplish much.
So you anticipated my arguennt.
I seriously doubt that any group could overthrown the govt. with hunting weapons, considering the sort of equipment the government now owns.

Exactly , but that is the real purpose of the second admendment so weapons dangerous to the government should be the trust of the people and the government should never let itself be estranged from the people.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:10:25 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »
The second amendment was written at a time when (a) many people needed to hunt to put meat on the table and (b) people with firearms could overthrow a government. Neither of these is true any more. Handgun controls are passed to prevent violent crime. This may or may not work here, but it certainly does in countries where there are many fewer handguns.

In 1790, the government could not have taken away people's rifles even if they had wanted to. In Latin America, only civil wars got the weapons out of the hands of the few who owned them. Of course, a single-shot black powder musket is not very effective for either hunting or rebellion. In the later case, once the govt. had repeating rifles and pistols, muskets are a joke.

The stuff that the Army is using now in Iraq is going to make rebellion totally impossible. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
The second amendment was written at a time when (a) many people needed to hunt to put meat on the table and (b) people with firearms could overthrow a government. Neither of these is true any more. Handgun controls are passed to prevent violent crime. This may or may not work here, but it certainly does in countries where there are many fewer handguns.

In 1790, the government could not have taken away people's rifles even if they had wanted to. In Latin America, only civil wars got the weapons out of the hands of the few who owned them. Of course, a single-shot black powder musket is not very effective for either hunting or rebellion. In the later case, once the govt. had repeating rifles and pistols, muskets are a joke.

The stuff that the Army is using now in Iraq is going to make rebellion totally impossible. 

Hunting is a red herring and is a waste of your time to type, the Second Admendment specificly mentions public Militias not hunting.
Rebellion as a matter of principal should not be impossible .The amount that the public is disadvantaged already is like the preparation nessacery to a crime.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »
So, how many guns do you have stashed away to overthrow an oppressive government?

What is your rank in that militia?

I really don't think that they will let you buy what you'd really need to overthrow any US govt.. Perhaps you could fly one off that base.

Your chances of overthrowing the US got with the weapons that are legal for you to own arte about the same as the Cherokees getting Georgia back from the palefaces. Remember, the Supreme Court said they were evicted illegally. The Law is on their side, too.