Author Topic: Talk about potty-mouths  (Read 1535 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Talk about potty-mouths
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:32:01 AM »
Well, this is an interesting post, and I don't know what it means, really.  Your thoughts?  (Be sure to check out the original in its entirety.)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

From a post by Patrick Ishmael at The News Buckit:

The Net's not always a kid-friendly place; there is plenty of foul language out there. And of course, the blogosphere is no different.

But how different are the Rightosphere and Leftosphere when it comes to "dirty" language? Which side produces the most profanity-laced diatribes? Via Instapundit, I happened upon this interesting challenge from InstaPunk:

I propose an exercise to be performed by those who have the software and expertise to carry it out. The exercise is this: Search six months' worth of content, posts and comments, of the 20 most popular blogs on the right and the left. The search criteria are George Carlin's infamous '7 Dirty Words.' [Click this link for the list of expletives.]

And this is what I found, using what I deemed -- through a mix of TTLB and 2006's Weblog Award lists -- to be the 18 biggest Lefty blogs, and 22 biggest Righty blogs. I couldn't account for the 6-month time period, and I even gave the Lefty blogs a 4 blog advantage. But it didn't make much of a difference.

So how much more does the Left use Carlin's "seven words" versus the Right? According to my calculations, try somewhere in the range of 18-to-1.

Yowsers.

<snip>

Update @ 9:16am: Great point by reader Joe.

What? No Democratic Underground? No IndyMedia? No FreeRepublic? No Townhall? No FrontPageMag?

And thus, the numbers:

* Democratic Underground: 947,000
    * IndyMedia: 206,000
    * FreeRepublic: 4010
    * TownHall.com (minus HH blog): 156
    * FrontPageMag: 11,800

It only gets worse... 1537788-to-37285. 41-to-1. Holy mackeral.

<snip>

Update @ 5:24pm: John Hinderaker from Powerlineblog says the following on his News Bloggers site:

...when I looked at the chart that set forth the results of the survey, I found that 68 instances of the "seven words" were recorded for Power Line. This struck me as obviously wrong. I'm certain that six of the seven words have never appeared on Power Line at all, and the seventh (a four-letter word that starts with "s") has appeared only a time or two when we were quoting someone else.

So I ran the search on Power Line the same way it was done for the survey. What I found was that virtually all of the references that came up were in "trackbacks." This means that the language appeared on someone else's site, not ours.

I conclude from this that the survey was pretty badly flawed. Not only did it fail to distinguish between blog entries and comments, which is at least defensible, it failed to distinguish between words used on the site in question, and words used on a different site, which is not defensible.

I certainly won't dispute that this was by no means a perfect gauge of blogospheric vulgarity; it certainly leaves much to be desired. After all, I didn't exactly devote a lot of time to developing an extensive hypothesis and method.

And although I'm sure John is right about his site, the only way that this very basic survey would really be blown (IMHO) is if the errors found therein were especially pronounced.

Powerlineblog is a nationally-recognized and very well-read blog that has at least 17,300 pages to its name. Yet factoring the errant vulgarity count, that means that only .4% of its pages had erroneously been found to have had one of the "seven words." (Technically, it sounds like the words are in fact there, but that's not because of anything the PB guys have done and really doesn't speak to the point of the survey.)

But that .4% is a teeny tiny margin of error. Compare that to Democratic Underground, who at this very moment are humorously reveling in their newfound linguistic primacy and who apparently have no doubt that the 947,000 hits attributed to them are accurate. That's not a trackback problem... Definitely take a look. It's a party in there.

<snip>

Also: On the "For future debate" front, one Meebo respondent presents the following:

...I did the ratio of "7 words" to pages for Daily Kos (260,000 pages with 155,000 "7words") and the Free Republic (466,000 pages with 3840 "7 words"). I chose Free Republic since it's the foulest and I wanted to give benefit of the doubt. In any case, the ratio is even more pronounced with DailyKos at 1 profanity every 2 pages and Freep at 1 every 121 pages for a ratio of 60 to 1, Kos...

Recheck this finding, but it's certainly interesting.

http://newsbuckit.blogspot.com/2007/02/seven-words-you-can-never-say-on.html

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Talk about potty-mouths
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »
What the @*&#38;# is this &*(&* talking about?    ;D

I think there is a tendency to use foul language more among lefties than righties for several reasons.  (This is all opinion, of course.)

First, lefties tend to be younger than righties - that is, people gravitate more towards conservatism as they age.  So more youngsters hang around left-wing blogs and sites than right wing.  Youngsters tend to use more foul language.  

Second, conservatives lean more towards traditional religious values.  Such values sometimes put the brakes on foul language - at least when the blogger/poster identifies himself as religious.  It makes an otherwise foul-mouth Republican more conscious of of his impression.  Some are sincerely disinclined to cuss.  Some are just disinclined to be caught.

I think a lot of " bad words" are used in what would otherwise not be offensive contexts.  An example might be "I just logged on to bitch about that whiner Rush Limbaugh" as opposed to "I just logged on to whine about that bitch Hillary."  So much of the use of the "seven words" is probably just general ranting as opposed to intentionally offensive behavior.  

I think if we changed the criteria from bad "words" to bad intention, the ratio would be a lot closer to even.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .