Author Topic: A "racial" question  (Read 6704 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A "racial" question
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 10:05:13 PM »
If you call someone an Uncle Tom, it's akin to  a member of the French Resistance calling someone a Vichy sympathizer.

My view, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:59:58 AM by Lanya »
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 01:35:06 AM »
If you call someone an Uncle Tom, it's akin a member of the French Resistance calling someone a Vichy sympathizer.

My view, anyway.

The Vichy Goivernment was the puppet of an invader , much as the governments of the South during reconstruction were.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 01:57:26 AM »
If you call someone an Uncle Tom, it's akin a member of the French Resistance calling someone a Vichy sympathizer.  My view, anyway.

But, the former is aimed specifically at a person, based on their race.  The latter is not.  Is not the basis of a racist comment that of some form of demagoguery aimed at a person, based on their race??  Or are you saying the French are their own race?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 02:18:15 AM »

The Vichy Goivernment was the puppet of an invader , much as the governments of the South during reconstruction were.

What I meant to point out was that an Uncle Tom is seen as not being helpful to members of his own race.   
A Vichy sympathizer was seen as not being helpful to the Resistance. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 03:49:31 AM »
What I meant to point out was that an Uncle Tom is seen as not being helpful to members of his own race.   

In other words, 1 is racist, the other is not
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »
<<I`ve been called a yellow nigg&r,yellow tofu,fuckin fob
god damn jap,vc,flip flop,gook & a god damn mexican wet back
but never coolie or even chink
I think those term died off>>

No way did "chink" die off.  I was called that myself a few years ago for eating Chinese food with chopsticks in the fast-food court in the Yonge-Eglinton mall next to the subway station.  (if you still remember Toronto)  Some weird-looking teenage girl (white) with facial piercing and tats and a spiky hairdo who I thought was coming up to ask for a handout said "Hey chink, whyncha learn to eat with a knife and fork?" which I thought was moderately funny.  Then a few minutes later, passed by my table again with a "Hiya chink!"  Anyway, we fell in love, got married . . .     Or could have.  Different movie.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 05:39:45 PM »

In other words, 1 is racist, the other is not
No, Sirs. 

My point is this: they both serve masters who are not members of their group.  Race isn't the be-all and end-all of this. It is more complicated. 
If you want to keep making it into a racial thing you go right ahead, but that is not my point.   
Remember in the bible, where Jesus says, You cannot serve two masters, God and Mammon.
Now if you come back and say, "So this is a Jewish thing, right?"   I'd say "Wrong."  I don't know if I can be any clearer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 05:50:06 PM »
My point is this: they both serve masters who are not members of their group.  Race isn't the be-all and end-all of this. It is more complicated.   If you want to keep making it into a racial thing you go right ahead, but that is not my point.   
Remember in the bible, where Jesus says, You cannot serve two masters, God and Mammon.

Nice rationalization effort, in justifying a racist mindset.  :(  Tee would be impressed though

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 08:43:15 PM »
<<Nice rationalization effort, in justifying a racist mindset.    Tee would be impressed though>>

I AM.  I'm VERY impressed.  I'm impressed by the way every time somebody comes up with an argument you can't answer, (which is almost 100% of the time) you trot out the word "rationalize"  or some variant of it, and act as if you won the debate.  It's hilarious.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 11:06:04 PM »
Tee sez of Sirs:
"I'm impressed by the way every time somebody comes up with an argument you can't answer, (which is almost 100% of the time) you trot out the word "rationalize"  or some variant of it, and act as if you won the debate.  It's hilarious."

andf I say of this.

You have hit the nail on the head. That is precisely it.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 02:52:37 AM »

Would you praise Lester Maddox then, for looking out for his own?

NO way Lester Maddox was an uncle Tom, he looked out for his own people first , then he was fair to the rest.
If Lester had been black you might like him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Maddox

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 08:01:03 PM »
I'm impressed by the way every time somebody comes up with an argument you can't answer, (which is almost 100% of the time) you trot out the word "rationalize"  or some variant of it, and act as if you won the debate.  It's hilarious.

Yea hillarious watching you folks trip all over yourselves in justifying racist remarks, when you're the ones perpetuating & supporting it     ::)