Author Topic: America's "Supergun" Destroys Everything in its Path!  (Read 4912 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: America's "Supergun" Destroys Everything in its Path!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 01:11:21 AM »
Good thing we already have large ships and large crews
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
weapons design is a tricky thing since the bulk of research is mainly done with no creativity . it`s litterally waiting for the world to advance enough and hope something comes along that can be applied. medicine is the sameway.

exchange of information is the true drive.

look at the supergun the technology has been around for decades but it took that long to refine to where it`s at now. XO brought up drones but it`ll be years before that`s useable. as a boy I love dreaming up gun designs but as a I actually go into details it`s quite hard.
I`m just pointing out making weapons is alot harder than we think.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »
If it takes a crew of 60 and a megaton ship to get the weapon in place, then it is hardly a versatile weapon.
The idea that this is required, or even useful to take out "terrorist camps" is simply absurd.

The main purpose the Navy has in mind is threatening to put large holes in China's fleet if it attempts to make thew South China Sea, you know, Chinese.
Speaking as an American citizen I do not see how China having a base of Fiery Cross Island makes one tiny whit of difference to me, or any other American.
The idea that my country wants to be the International Big Swinging Dick is simply repulsive.
China making islands where it wishes is less a problem to me than Christmas tree disposal.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
It becomes just another weapons system of the ship, to compliment everything else they have, like the tomahawks, and the harpoons.  You do realize that most naval vessels also carry "bullets", as in shells for the 5 inch deck guns, right??

You really have to get over this pathology you have anytime the term "gun" is brought up.  and once again, nor is this a specific weapon being soley created for a specific target like some nomadic terrorist camp. Anything we can create that will result in bad guys killed and LESS INNOCENT LIVES LOST, in a time of war, is a GOOD thing
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
America has always desired to be the top dog. Nothing in our past has anything that ever changed that desire. But staying in that position is another matter. It's very super easy to make decisions that makes sense to advance but actually delay and reverse progress.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »
I predict that this weapon will NEVER be used to take out any "terrorist training camp" as CU4 claims.

This is about more money pissed away on humongously expensive toys for the military rather than on the needs of American citizens.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 11:10:44 AM »
And I predict a harpoon missile will never take down an apartment building.  And I'd bet the house my prediction holds up more than yours.  Let me repeat for the ignorant that frequent the saloon, anything we can create that will result in bad guys killed and LESS INNOCENT LIVES LOST, in a time of war, is a GOOD thing
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:16:34 PM by sirs »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »
actually it`s proof how hard it is to do most R&D . I often hear complaint how much money is wasted of any kinds of research and the money is better spent on the arts or something. but if you observed the bulk of our advancement is from those seemingly costly wasteful researches. ex.internet,computers.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 02:24:18 PM »
...tis true.  I saw a new technology being unveiled a while back...something along the lines of virtual construction, where the navy and its ship builders could not only design the entire ship on a computer, but could produce virtual productions of whatever compartment they were looking at, and layer the various tubes, wires, vents, etc, that were necessary to the ship's function, to see if they would impede construction, before the ship even began to be built.  Not sure how expensive that software and hardware was, but the millions of dollars it would save in delays, redesigning, and cost over-runs, more than payed for that.

In this case, what's the price we're going to put on a group of kids, where a maverick missile had its guidance system malfunction or misdirected, while a railgun projectile has no countermeasure to thwart it?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
It's interesting how no mstter how advance our technology. It's does not ensure something cannot counter it or that it has to be advance to do it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »
The absolute best thing we could invent would be nutritious, edible, tasty advertising. Solve the pollution and the hunger problems simultaneously.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »
And let the illogical deflections spring forth      ::)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
that`s already done it`s free samples. it`s hard to sell food items if they don`t know what it taste like. but I don`t know how gatorade sold in the beginning because I remember it originally taste like old socks only in the pass few decades it tasted ok.

the counter measure is hiding in populated areas. continual collateral damage will always eventually excede acceptable losses . it`s the one aspect that makes war not a chessgame.

I also think the railgun is too hightech it maybe vulnerable to design issues. remember it`s a military project so it`s definately not design for constant use. it will most definately have a breakdown period. I`m very confidant it`ll behave like the m-16

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
That's why the research and testing is ongoing and so important to continue

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
Perhaps some of the basic principles of the railgun could be used to launch satellites into space without rockets. If not on Earth perhaps on the Moon or Mars or somewhere with less gravity,