Author Topic: A "racial" question  (Read 6689 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A "racial" question
« on: November 22, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »
Is a white person a racist if he tells another white person he's an "n..... lover", if he happens to work, socialize & fraternize with blacks?

If so,

What's the diff, when a black person (or any person for that matter) calls another black person an "uncle tom", if he happens to work, socialize & fraternize with whites?

Inquiring minds, would love to know.  Let the overt rationalizations begin   
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A "racial" question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »
I think it is the same
I get called a banana afew times.
but due to the fact not many people uses iit kinda loses steam
too bad chinaman is just as strong as ni**er
because too many people don`t see it as a insult despite it has the indentical reason it`s a insult.
the crazy part is it get used so much it looks like a term of enderment to someone who never heard of these words

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:33:15 AM »
I think it is the same
I get called a banana afew times.
but due to the fact not many people uses iit kinda loses steam
too bad chinaman is just as strong as ni**er
because too many people don`t see it as a insult despite it has the indentical reason it`s a insult.
the crazy part is it get used so much it looks like a term of enderment to someone who never heard of these words

I do too, Kimba.  And yet, you have a plethora of folks, like Tee & Crane, and likely Brass, even Lanya perhaps, who have no problem supporting folks who call other folks "uncle toms", when it suits their purpose of demeaning & condemning.  In my book, it's a racist comment & thought process, but do you think they think themselves as being racist when they make or support such comments?  Unlikely
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:41:45 AM »
<<What's the diff, when a black person (or any person for that matter) calls another black person an "uncle tom", if he happens to work, socialize & fraternize with whites?>>

An Uncle Tom is not a black person who "works, socializes and fraternizes with whites."

An Uncle Tom is a black man who promotes racist policies aimed at other blacks and thereby betrays his own people for his own personal advantage.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »
An Uncle Tom is not a black person who "works, socializes and fraternizes with whites."  An Uncle Tom is a black man who promotes racist policies aimed at other blacks and thereby betrays his own people for his own personal advantage.

So then as long as a white man is calling another whitman a "n..... lover", as long as it's not in reference to "promoting racist policies", its a perfectly acceptable term to use then.  Gotcha

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 01:14:28 AM »
I hereby invite everyone to call me a Cracker .

Then redneck or whatever .

Get it overwith and rob the word of its power.

http://www.amazon.com/Ecology-Cracker-Childhood-Janisse-Ray/dp/1571312471/sr=1-4/qid=1164258730/ref=sr_1_4/104-2006869-5654338?ie=UTF8&s=books

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 01:23:54 AM »
<<So then as long as a white man is calling another whitman a "n..... lover", as long as it's not in reference to "promoting racist policies", its a perfectly acceptable term to use then.  Gotcha>>

"Nigger" is a highly offensive term.  Offensive by itself and offensive in combination with other words.  You seem to have a really simple mind, so I'll make this really simple for you.

It is NOT "perfectly acceptable" to call anyone a "nigger."

It is NOT "perfectly acceptable" to call anyone a "nigger-lover."

It is NOT "perfectly acceptable" to call anyone a "nigger-hater."

If you can understand that, maybe now for probably the first time in your life, you can say "Gotcha" and really actually understand what you are claiming to understand.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 01:52:10 AM »
<<So then as long as a white man is calling another whitman a "n..... lover", as long as it's not in reference to "promoting racist policies", its a perfectly acceptable term to use then.  Gotcha>>

"Nigger" is a highly offensive term

And "uncle tom" is a much more endearing term?  Gotcha

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 02:00:39 AM »
In the Navy, the Captain might put you on bread and water for two weeks or a month if one were to persist in use of "flag words".

And the Navy is the home of "pass the F-----G butter".

All flag words count, as long as the Captain understands them.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 10:09:06 AM »
It is NOT "perfectly acceptable" to call anyone a "nigger."

Funny, I hear blacks call each other that all the time.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 10:49:47 AM »
whats even strangers is teenage asians call themselves n!gg&r.
I don`t know if this would offends blacks since it`s not dirrected towards them at all and their not white.
I think it`s a offensive words and I wish it would be treated as such
meaning no more double standards
oprah went to africa and the reps there said hi n!gg&r.
she stated to the outside observer it does look like a term of enderment

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 11:34:18 AM »
Logically, I don't see where "Chinaman" is any worse than "Frenchman", "Dutchman" or "Englishman".

True, Chinese people are not actually made of porcelain, but then again, porcelain is a pretty high status substance.

The logical equivalent of "nigger" would be "coolie", I suppose.

Most White folks who use the word "Chinaman" are not aware that anyone takes offense from it. It seems to me that to take offense, a person should have to be aware that offense was intended.

I think Michael Richards was way over gthe line, but I hardly think it merits any sort of lawsuit. It is not nice to offend people based on their ethnicity, but it's not illegal. I don't think it should be either. Threatening people with physical harm is something else, though.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 02:03:58 PM »
the correct term is france man,hollandman &englandman

note we don`t even get to be called chinese man
and also notice no racist will ever say chinese
chinaman is always thee prefered term to all asians.
the 1st use is not a offense,but after the warning it is a offense
one other problem is the WORD  n1gg&R doesn`t have that courtasy
if a dutch person says it he`s automatically banded a racist despite he never heard of that word except on the streets and thinks its a word of affection.
at least I don`t see chinaman used that way
I never even heard anybody use the word coolie
I`ve been called a yellow nigg&r,yellow tofu,fuckin fob
god damn jap,vc,flip flop,gook & a god damn mexican wet back
but never coolie or even chink
I think those term died off

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »

http://ptah.lnf.kth.se/marios/pictures/set3/SF_CNY_street.jpg

I am not sure it is the same for everyone , I get the impression that even in the midst of persicution the Chineese of California had confidence that their traditions were honorable and represented a true civilization.

My people have pride even though we get a lot of encouragement to have humility by Yankees.

Black people were more cut off from their origins and more effort was spent on convinceing them of inferiority than most of us can complain of , this is not currently ongoing , but it is recent enough to still be felt .

Reguardless the origional cause of the persecution or the unequal effects , I consider it universally a good idea to cut that out.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 06:25:04 PM »
       "...     quotes from Watching the English, the book I enjoy reading in so many respects. It's on consciousness of an acculturation:

In fact, I would go so far as to say that Englishness is rather more a matter of choice for the ethnic minorities in this country than it is for the rest of us. For those of us without the benefit of early, first-hand influence of another culture, some aspects of Englishness can be so deeply ingrained that we find it almost impossible to shake them off, even when it is clearly in our interested to do so […]. Immigrants have the advantage of being able to pick and choose more freely, often adopting the more desirable English quirks and habits while carefully steering clear of the more ludicrous ones. [p.18]

Many of those who pontificate about 'acculturation' are inclined to underestimate this element of choice. Such processes are often described in terms suggesting that the 'dominant' culture is simply imposed on unwitting, passive minorities, rather than focusing on the extent to which individuals quite consciously, deliberately, cleverly and even mockingly pick and choose among the behaviors and customs of their host culture. ..."

http://iaslash.org/aggregator/sources/89?from=20