Author Topic: Patient fixes hospital machine  (Read 1649 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Patient fixes hospital machine
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2168776.html?menu=

A Bosnian hospital patient spent seven hours repairing hospital machinery so his operation could go ahead.

Doctors had told car mechanic Slobodan Mocevic, 56, his operation to remove a kidney stone was cancelled because of faulty equipment.

Mocevic asked to borrow a set of tools and then stripped down and repaired the Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy machine at the hospital in Kasindol.

He said: "I was in agony, and there was no way I could have waited any longer."

The device removes kidney stones by sending a sonic wave through a patient's body to break up the stone.

[Poor guy.]
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Patient fixes hospital machine
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:41:36 AM »
I fixed the fetal heartrate monitor in the delivery room while waiting for my daughter to be delivered.

Machines is machines.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:00:33 AM »
I'm a little surprised they let you, but on second thought, I'm not.  Waiting for 'biomed' to get around to fixing stuff was a pain in the neck.  Good for you.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:19:44 AM »
I'm a little surprised they let you, but on second thought, I'm not.

Most of the time there was no one in the room but me and my wife. They had her on a petossin drip.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:15:47 PM »
this is quite true.

my brother in law was a mechanic and now he maintains dvd stampers without any educational background

a friend of mine was trained air conditioner repair but now services inductrial printers.

the connection is a general understanding of electronics.
these guys can pretty much figure out most machines.
is it my imaganation or the current crop of college grads are too specificly trained?
they seem way less flexible with their skills.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »
is it my imaganation or the current crop of college grads are too specificly trained?
they seem way less flexible with their skills.

One of my bosses did say that he'd never (again) hire someone right out of college with no experience. Thought they were pretty much useless.

As he put it, "If I asked her to write a new program, it was fine. Her solution to debugging someone else's program, however, was to throw it out and write a new one from scratch."