Author Topic: Quotes from Ghandi  (Read 3201 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quotes from Ghandi
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 11:15:16 PM »
"The destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans, which occurred between the death of Jesus and the writing of the Gospels is not even mentioned once. How could that be irrelevant? I mean really."

This is very specificly mentioned by Jesus, but what tells you that the writing was done after the sack of Jeruslem?

=====================================================
No, it wasn't mentioned by Jesus. The Temple and Jerusalem were all intact when Jesus was crucified. He sorta kinda may have predicted this was to occur at some indeterminate date.

Pretty much all Biblical scholars agree that the Gospels were written after the Roman destruction of Jerusalem. It wasn't sacked, it was obliterated.

For the Jews, this was a far more important event at the time than pretty much anything that happened in that period, including Jesus and his rather short preaching period.

It was Paul that made Jesus famous.

It was specificly mentioned by Jesus , and he said it would be total , and as you mention, it was.
http://www.greeknewtestament.com/B41C013.htm
Mark
13:1 And as he was going out of the temple, one of his disciples saith to him, Master, see what manner of stones, and what buildings are here!

13:2 Jesus said to him, "Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone on another, which will not be thrown down."

http://bible.oremus.org/?passage=Luke+21:5-19
Luke 21:5-19
The Destruction of the Temple Foretold5 When some were speaking about the temple, how it was adorned with beautiful stones and gifts dedicated to God, he said, 6?As for these things that you see, the days will come when not one stone will be left upon another; all will be thrown down.?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »

13:1 And as he was going out of the temple, one of his disciples saith to him, Master, see what manner of stones, and what buildings are here!

13:2 Jesus said to him, "Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone on another, which will not be thrown down."
=======================================================

Have you seen the photos of the Western Wall?

There are MANY, MANY stones on top of another. The Romans did not knock down the Western Wall. It is STILL STANDING.

Not what any sane person could call a decent prediction. Certainly not apt for anyone presumed to be perfect.

I suggest that this was written by "Mark"(whoever he might have been) , AFTER the destruction of the Temple, by some guy whu had heard the news, but never been there.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 01:18:07 AM »

=======================================================

Have you seen the photos of the Western Wall?

There are MANY, MANY stones on top of another. The Romans did not knock down the Western Wall. It is STILL STANDING.

Not what any sane person could call a decent prediction. Certainly not apt for anyone presumed to be perfect.

I suggest that this was written by "Mark"(whoever he might have been) , AFTER the destruction of the Temple, by some guy whu had heard the news, but never been there.

The western wall is a retaining wall ,  the entire temple sat above it.

When his deciples said "Look at all of these beautifull buildings" they might have been standing on the fill that the western wall was ment to hold.

If you want to quibble further there are other buildings in Jeruslem that date from earlyer than this statement , but the buildings referenced by the Question Jesus was asked are just as Jesus decribed , demolished utterly.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
Typical Biblical "scholarship".

We aren't wrong, you just need to understand that the Western Wall of the Temple was not actually a wall of the Temple.

Bah!

Fundamentalist, indeed.

Sure, the evil Romans were just tools of God to punish the Jews for not  following Jesus. Shuuuuuuure.

It ever so easier to make predictions after the event has occurred.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »
What? I have to explain what "famous" means? It means that which has attained fame.

Lookit, famous means "well-known".  Jesus, ML King and Gandhi are all famous. They are all well-known. You can't deny that.

We know much less about Jesus than we do about the other twoi, because Jesus did not want us to know what he had been up to between the age of 12 and 32. Had he wished this to have been known, he would have revealed it. All we know is a bunch of often conflicting tales told by people who may or may not have actually known him. Jesus COULD have written down what is message was, but he chose to let the job be done by amateurs, long after his death.

How about this:

More people have heard about Coca-Cola than Jesus.
Millions, perhaps billions of people in Asia and perhaps Africa and other places have never even heard of Jesus.
But they HAVE heard of Coke.
Coca Cola makes no claim to be divine.
Jesus appeared around 2000 years ago.
Coca-Cola appeared in the 1880's.
How is it that a Perfect Being is so vastly less effective about getting the message out than a popular soft drink?

Please don't tell me that getting the message out was not Jesus' stated purpose.

He was a man of his time. In those times, no one was as competent as Coca-Cola is now.

Unless perhaps, he was omnipotent.

But, alas, it seems that he wasn't omnipotent.
Neither was Mohammad, perhaps not even Allah.

Cynthia

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 11:50:51 AM »
You sure throw words around like they're truth;  "....he chose to let the job be done by amateurs, long after his death"

"Jesus did not want us to know what he had been up to between the age of 12 and 32."

BEcaUse JESUS DID NOT want us to know? really??

"We know much less about Jesus than we do about the other twoi,"

Speak for yourself and the frog in your pocket.

"More people have heard about Coca-Cola than Jesus.
Millions, perhaps billions of people in Asia and perhaps Africa and other places have never even heard of Jesus."

Perhaps if they knew Jesus, the taste test would be ?No contest?. After all, they have been bowing down to the wrong 'POP'!

"Coca Cola makes no claim to be divine."

Thank God!

"Jesus appeared around 2000 years ago.
Coca-Cola appeared in the 1880's.
How is it that a Perfect Being is so vastly less effective about getting the message out than a popular soft drink?"

We'll have to vote one of them off the Island.

"Please don't tell me that getting the message out was not Jesus' stated purpose."

He did get the message out. You just haven't been paying attention in your lifetime, XO.
Coca-Cola is not GOD> period. Big difference.
Faith, XO you must have faith in God to understand the difference between Coke and Christ. Must I teach you the difference here. Sorry but on condescension deserves another.

Look, I can't reply to your faith debate without getting into who Jesus really IS in the life of the "believer", Xavier.  You lack that understanding of "belief and faith". I don't mean to be condescending, really I don't.

"He was a man of his time. In those times, no one was as competent as Coca-Cola is now."

Then Jesus is going to have to get a more competent PR woman.
Perhaps, Mary?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »
Typical Biblical "scholarship".

We aren't wrong, you just need to understand that the Western Wall of the Temple was not actually a wall of the Temple.

Bah!

Fundamentalist, indeed.

Sure, the evil Romans were just tools of God to punish the Jews for not  following Jesus. Shuuuuuuure.

It ever so easier to make predictions after the event has occurred.

The western wall is not a wall of the temple , the temple was frestanding  and the western wall has fill behind it.

The temple court was extended by the fill the western wall holds up.

I can imagine you suffering a fire that mostly demolished your home  but having a conversation like this with an insurance adjuster who refuses to allow the damage to be total and pay the full replacement value because there is a retaining wall left undamaged in your yard.

You feel that I am reaching far to quibble , which is a good match for how I feel about your quibbleing.