Author Topic: Remember the Wellstone "Memorial"  (Read 15358 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Remember the Wellstone "Memorial"
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »
There's an 'ol saying that truly applies here.....ACTIONS speak louder than words.  His INaction's spoke very loudly, indeed.  It's simply amazing how utterly impotent he must be, if we're to follow your tact

So if he raised his hands to quiet the crowd would be appropriate ACTION on his part?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
    I don't hold the President responsible for the small details of the event, whether some ship captan hangs a banner with an easily misunderstood celebratory "Mission Accomplished" or some minor local functionary of the Democratic party decides to hand out pro Obama t-shirts leftover from the campaign, the flub was accomplished at a level of details that it is unreasonable to expect the President's personal approval to have been involved.

I always thought that sticking Bush with the "mission accomplished " banner was terribly unfair, I feel the same about expecting President Obama to controll a crouds reaction or for other small details of the setting.

He is directly responsible for the text of the speech and for the tone in which it is delivered, these are considerations I want to evaluate first and more carefully than elements of protocol or set design or anything elese that is the responsibility of people that the president does not choose himself.

This speech uses well chosen words and is obviously ment primarily to be comforting and encourageing. The speech delivery was in a tone of restraint appropriate to the greiving and enthusiasm appropriate to the discouraged.Bravo Zulu Mr. President

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
There's an 'ol saying that truly applies here.....ACTIONS speak louder than words.  His INaction's spoke very loudly, indeed.  It's simply amazing how utterly impotent he must be, if we're to follow your tact

So if he raised his hands to quiet the crowd would be appropriate ACTION on his part?

When they were acting out of line, for a memorial YES.  If that didn't work he could have added 1 little sentence to his prepared speech, to inform the audience where they were, and that such overt applause was inappropriate.  IF he wanted to

But according to you he was completely impotent, as President of the United States,  Most powerful man on the globe, able to facilitate Obamacare down our throats, but layed out flat, by AZ college students
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
It is not the province of the president to instruct university students in the sort of manners you expect them to show.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE PROVINCE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to instruct a rowdy audience, that it is grossly inappopriate for them to be acting out in such a way, AT A MEMORIAL
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »

When they were acting out of line, for a memorial YES.  If that didn't work he could have added 1 little sentence to his prepared speech, to inform the audience where they were, and that such overt applause was inappropriate.  IF he wanted to

But according to you he was completely impotent, as President of the United States,  Most powerful man on the globe, able to facilitate Obamacare down our throats, but layed out flat, by AZ college students

Good thing they didn't act inappropriately, then.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Had President Obama actually given them a tongue lashing, I am sure that sirs would have found fault with that as well.

As BT says, they were not acting inappropriately. They were not whooping and yelling and throwing objects and being otherwise disruptive.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
Had President Obama actually given them a tongue lashing, I am sure that sirs would have found fault with that as well.

Had President Obama provided said tongue lashing, he would have been praised by sirs

As BT says, they were not acting inappropriately.

Right...because every memorial, including the murder of a 9year old is handled with hooting, hollering, and t-shirts.  Yea, happens all the time, doesn't it

not

Bt got it wrong, I'm afraid

bsb

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
Sirs is the only one I've heard who doesn't understand the tone of the event. I wouldn't waste my time trying to explain it to him, as usual it will just fall on incapable ears.

Same thing with the Muslim Center. Everybody I know understands the game being played when it's referred to as a Mosque. If some are too parochial, or unaware, or bigoted, or purposely obtuse, to grasp it, there's nothing you can do but leave them behind. You can lead a horse...............

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Sirs is not the only one who understood both the "tone of the event" and what a memorial is all about.  And since the apparent game about "the mosque" is to compare it to a latrine, one must heed the source of that message

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2011, 06:59:29 PM »
Sirs is not the only one who understood both the "tone of the event" and what a memorial is all about.

Sirs is the only one in this forum making a big deal out of it.

Did Obama even use the "slogan" in his speech?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
Sirs is not the only one who has defended this particular POV, and is only defending it.  If Bt wants to equate that with "making a big deal out of it", so be it.  Not here pounding the desk and holding my breath until everyone sees it my way.  Merely defending what is grossly transparent, as far as I can tell.

Everyone trying to defend the apolitical tact, casts Obama as an egregious wimp.  Then again, Cu4 seemed to bring a brighter light to that being the case.  It's not that he was being opportunistic.  He's merely one of the greatest wimps this country has ever had as a President

And what "slogan" would that be?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
And what "slogan" would that be?

The one on the T shirt that you keep insisting was part and parcel to the campaign atmosphere.

Together we thrive.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
And of course, you'll be able to find that quote where I made that case, where I was "insisting that the slogan was part and parcel" of anything

IIRC, I initially believed the presence of t-shirts were at the behest of the WH.  It seems they were the doing of the University, though Cu4 casted doubt to some of the authenticity of it being solely the University's idea, but is largely irellevent to the point that, NEITHER source makes them appropriate at a MEMORIAL

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »
Whatever, Miss Manners.