Author Topic: Remember the Wellstone "Memorial"  (Read 15312 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Remember the Wellstone "Memorial"
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 08:23:09 PM »
It was a memorial, and they're handing out t-shirts, with political slogans??

Together we thrive is a political slogan?
For what party?

Pushed by the Obama adminstration....a political slogan....AT A MEMORIAL.  Did you not hear his speech.  It was arguably a campaign speech, reaching out to the middle, that he so desperately needs back, come 2012.  Dovetails with his recent position announcements of previous moderate Democrats under the Clinton Administration.  He's tacking middle, and used this memorial as a campaign platform

The sending of Mueller was pretty transparent.  The speech, even worse.  But the t-shirts??

Why would you defend the GOP if you think them hypocrites?

Why wouldn't I, if they've come to their senses, via the Tea Party movement, and will start adhering to their own platform

Have they? or did they simply regain the House on the backs of the Tea Party.

We shall see now, won't we.  If its on the backs, they'll be out on their butts next election cycle, won't they

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
Pushed by the Obama adminstration....a political slogan....AT A MEMORIAL.

So the GOP version would be Divided We Thrive?

Where did the T shirts come from? Who paid for them?   

Have the dems used this slogan before?
If so when?

I watched the speech. I thought he hit the right notes. Apparently Glen Beck and CU4 did too.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
Must have missed the part where I was referring to Obama trying to tack back to the middle.  No biggie
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »
Must have missed the part where I was referring to Obama trying to tack back to the middle.  No biggie

No i saw it. Just didn't understand the relevance to either the t shirt nor his speech.

Perhaps you can tie them all together for me.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »
Asked and answered already.  You can choose to reject it, which you apparently already have

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
Asked and answered already.  You can choose to reject it, which you apparently already have

Nice dodge

Please show me a direct link to Obama vis a vis the T shirts.

Please explain to me why a speech delivered by the President of the United States at a memorial service should be anything other than neutral, main stream and above the fray.

What did you expect him to do?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:34 PM »

Please show me a direct link to Obama vis a vis the T shirts.

I explained it already

What did you expect him to do?

SKIP the tax payer payed T-shirts, and limit the "testamonials" to just him and perhaps the Governor of AZ

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »
SKIP the tax payer payed T-shirts, and limit the "testamonials" to just him and perhaps the Governor of AZ

Source that he is responsible for a: the T-Shirts and B: the program

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
I never claimed they were definatively Obama's shirts.  It's deductive reasoning based on who was giving the "testamonial", on how many shirts there were, and how the shirts dovetailed with what Obama was speeching, (coordinated)  I highly doubt it was sheer coincidence. 

If you wish to provide contrary facts, by all means.  I'm willing to be seen as incorrect in my initial assumption

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
I never claimed they were definatively Obama's shirts.  It's deductive reasoning based on who was giving the "testamonial", on how many shirts there were, and how the shirts dovetailed with what Obama was speeching, (coordinated)  I highly doubt it was sheer coincidence. 

If you wish to provide contrary facts, by all means.  I'm willing to be seen as incorrect in my initial assumption

So you have no proof that Obama was behind the T shirts or the program? Do you think perhaps your rant was knee-jerk and premature?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »
I never claimed they were definatively Obama's shirts.  It's deductive reasoning based on who was giving the "testamonial", on how many shirts there were, and how the shirts dovetailed with what Obama was speeching, (coordinated)  I highly doubt it was sheer coincidence.  

If you wish to provide contrary facts, by all means.  I'm willing to be seen as incorrect in my initial assumption

So you have no proof that Obama was behind the T shirts or the program?

I think I already answered that...it's called deductive reasoning.  Sheer coincidence that every chair had a t-shirt imprinted with the centrist message that Obama was speeching??  I think not

Do you think perhaps your rant was knee-jerk and premature?

No, on all 3 accounts.  But as I said before, I'm perfectly willing to see the error of my assumption with some facts that refute it.  I would not at all be surprised of the Campus coordinated things with the WH, and pre-arranged the shirts from their end
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:40:25 PM by sirs »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »
The White House "branded" the memorial service for the Tucson shootings with a "Together We Thrive" logo and slogan.

Michelle Malkin on Wednesday, January 12th, 2011 in a blog post
Did the White House "brand" the Arizona memorial service with a logo and slogan?
False

The University of Arizona memorial service for the victims of the Tucson, Ariz. shootings was called "Together We Thrive." But Michele Malkin claimed the slogan was cooked up by the White House

In an opinion piece about the Jan. 12, 2011, memorial event, Malkin, a conservative pundit, accused the White House of "branding" the memorial service with the slogan, complete with its own logo.

Malkin noted that all 13,000 people who attended the "Together We Thrive" event were given blue and white T-shirts with the logo.

"Can't the Democrat political stage managers give it a break just once?" Malkin wrote in her column.

The Drudge Report subsequently ran a headline atop its web page, "Political Theme, T-Shirts at Memorial?" It linked to an AP photo of "Together We Thrive" T-shirts draped over the back of chairs before the memorial service at McKale Memorial Center on the University of Arizona campus.

But officials at the University of Arizona said the White House had nothing to do with the name or the logo.

"The name of the event and the logo for the event were done entirely by the university," said Johnny Cruz, a spokesman for the University of Arizona. "Branding of the event was not done in consultation with the White House, or any elected officials or political organization."

The T-shirts were also the university's doing, Cruz said.

"That was the university's idea," he said. "We wanted to give people something to remember, to symbolize the community spirit."

The university bought the shirts without the use of taxpayer dollars, although he wasn't sure if the cost was borne by donations.

"Almost everything was done by the university," Cruz said, including selection of the location for the event and planning the agenda. Once the president accepted an invitation, he said, the White House helped coordinate some logistics, such as security, but that was the extent of the White House involvement.

And "Together We Thrive" was conceived by a University of Arizona student, he said.

White House spokesperson Robert Gibbs said during his briefing that the university was responsible for logistics. "I think it?s important to understand we were invited to and accepted quite happily the invitation of the university," he said.

We should note that Malkin later added an update to her blog posting that stated, "As noted above, the University of Arizona announced the Together We Thrive event ? and a few readers wrote in to say that the campus initiated the logo/campaign. Given U of A president Robert Shelton's embarrassing, thinly-veiled partisan cheerleading for Obama tonight, it may indeed be a 100 percent-campus-initiated campaign. Given the Obama White House's meticulous attention to stage prop details, however, I would say the odds of involvement by Axelrod/Plouffe & Co. are high."

But university spokesman Cruz said all of the "stage prop details," as Malkin called them, were entirely conceived by and arranged by the college.

The burden of proof is on Malkin and she has failed to prove any White House involvement. She may believe she sees the handiwork of the White House at play, but there's no evidence to back that up. Certainly not enough to justify her claim the White House used the shooting tragedy as an opportunity to orchestrate a "branded" political event. We rate Malkin's claim False.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/jan/13/michelle-malkin/did-white-house-brand-arizona-memorial-service-log/

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:54 AM »
So I was actually pretty close on my alternate assumption.  Cool

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 03:04:06 AM »
Yeah always a good idea to leave yourself some wiggle room when you are basing accusations on "deductive reasoning" . And if you don't, you can always go back and modify your post.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
Yea, I suppose you could