Author Topic: "What I particularly abhor is inequality"  (Read 5047 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "What I particularly abhor is inequality"
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
In other words,  you have nothing to back up yet another asinine claim.  Here's a hint,  doesn't require you to read us a book.....merely ONE quote from the book to back it up.  Ball in your court
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
If you are so lazy that you cannot read ONE DAMNED BOOK, then to Hell with you. I read this several years ago, and  my experience with your feeble attempts at debate is that you deny everything anyway/ You believe that the Founding Fathers could own slaves and not consider this in their writing of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, you refuse to recognize that the racist Dixiecrat rightwingers shifted from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party in the 1960;s and '70's, and you still think invading Iraq was an act of genius.

I have no hope that you will ever be capable of understanding reality. It is bloody obvious that Murdoch is obsessed with money and that he is in no way any sort of positive innovative force to any country whose media he has defiled.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
I'm not the one who made the claim that rich conservatives in general & Murdoch specifically are only motivated by money to be successful.  Ball in your court to back it up
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 06:37:32 PM »
No, you are the one who makes idiotic remarks and asks stupid questions and reveals zero desire to actually read or research one damned thing.

The topic is not about Murdoch, anyway. The main thought is that true innovators, unlike investors,  are very often not motivated only by money. But you are to fucking dumb to know what the topic actually is. All; you want to do is sit by the sidelines and quibble about crap that has little to do with the main topic.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
The topic is about the irrational claims regarding inequality.   You tried, erroneously of course, to imply rich folk who give to liberal causes, are rich merely by happenstance, that they were motivated to be successful because they just "wanted to make the world a better place.   You say that is backed up by what they "say" or by some biographer.  But then the same breath, you claim those rich folks who support conservative causes are only to get rich, yet have squat to back that up.  Those folks can be just as motivated to want to better the world as your precious Soros, but because you're so blinded by partisan ideology, it just breaks down to liberals good & conservatives evil greedy bastards.  No need to consider reality.  It is what it is, and that's all that it is

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Kamen

Dean Kamen is one of my favorites.

He isn't only a good engineer and scientist , he is effective at improving the standard of things he cares about , like dialysis machines and wheelchairs.

He is a leader in whatever field he chooses , from medical devices to clean energy innovations.

And , he is whimsical , inspiring and fun to listen to as he speaks.

That he is also making a mint seems an afterthought.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 07:45:34 PM »
And , he is whimsical , inspiring and fun to listen to as he speaks.

That he is also making a mint seems an afterthought.

=============================================
This is typical of innovative people. They are seldom in it for the money. They would be doing the same thing even if their innovations only provided them a comfortable existence. Their motive is not bazillions.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 09:41:02 PM »
And yet no examples of folks like Murdoch motivated by bazillions.  Funny that

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 11:21:39 PM »
... Their motive is not bazillions.

Perhaps with some of them the goal is a high score in the cash game , and with some of them the cash is a tool for getting something worthwhile done. 

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 12:02:48 AM »
In matter of innovation  thiers no one answer and definitely no one path. Steve jobs talents is that he does not think like an engineer but understand what they can make. His flaw is he doesn't understand money enough to gauge his limits and he got fired for it.

Money can motivate but also limits.

The reason we have government sponser research is because it has the advantage to fail. Corporate research has financial limits which limts the variety and narrows innovation.

Steve jobs has funded many research that are very risky with no concern of failure. I know someoneon apple and we have talked in length about this.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 12:20:11 AM »
I think that Jobs was very competitive, but he was not particularly motivated by money. He wanted to constantly be on the cutting edge.In that way he seems to be like Elon Muck.

Murdoch has issues with his father and is very competitive, but he  sees money as a gambler as sees a pile of chips in front of him. Money, not admiration of the public or other techies, is his way of keeping score.

After the first billion or so, money is not really meaningful: one lives with one billion the way one would live with ten billion.

Trump wants everyone to admire his huge pile of money and his name on everything. He egotism borders on psychopathology. Silvio Berlescone is similar to Trump.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
As I said, it's utterly amazing this ability you have at reading other people's minds & what motivated them.     ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »
Your mind is pretty simple, sirs.     

This entire discussion is based on the constant harp, harp, harping by the ratbag right that rich people should pay even LESS in taxes so they can provide jobs for all the rest of the people.

No one, they tell us, can be expected to invent anything new, develop any new drug, start any new industry unless they can be assured that it will make them filthy rich beyond their wildest dreams, because getting rich is what motivates everyone. The goal of every American is and should be "He who dies with the most toys, wins."

And I disagree with that. I do agree that the people who spew this gross materialistic dream are in fact themselves motivated by money, but they are wrong to believe that everyone is like them.

That is what this is all about, regardless of all the nonsense that sirs bandies about. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 01:13:30 AM »
More projection......this "discussion", coming from your end, is nothing more than you harping that the only thing that motivates those who become successful, but happen to support conservative causes, is purely greed and nothing more......with not a shred of 1 quote to support any of it.......just your amazing mind reading say so.

While any rich person who happens to support liberal causes had all sorts of altruistic motives, and becoming wealthy had nothing to do with anything.   The double standing blinders are firmly attached

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 03:42:27 AM »
Money can motivate but it can't make you creative. Dvae chapelle was offered 25 million to do one more season of his show he turned it down because he likely cant produce the material. It easy to say you would not turn the money down but its doubtful anyone can say they can do the job