Author Topic: Elephant in the Room  (Read 461 times)

BSB

Elephant in the Room
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »
Anyone else seen this movie/documentary? It's kind of an expose on exotic pets, their proliferation, danger, owners, shows, etc. The main story is about an unable to work due to injury Ohio truck driver. He has two African lions, one male one female. He refuses to give them up. At one point, post an escape, than a recaptured, of the male, he has them in a horse trailer. That's one 500lb Lion, and a 250lb or so female in a relatively small horse trailer. Nature than takes it course and 3 cubs suddenly appear.

There are some very dramatic scenes. In particular, the male gets electrocuted and dies in very gut wrenching, to watch, fashion. Truly an amazing scene.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Elephant in the Room
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
It sounds interesting. Can't say that I look forward to seeing a lion electrocuted.

I would say that injured or not, anyone keeping large wild animals like lions has a screw loose. Lions are lousy pets, and individuals who own them generally lack the ability, resources or knowledge to care for them.

Cats, dogs, even ferrets, foxes, parrots, and rats (and a lot of other smaller animals) can be good pets. Why try to domesticate an animal that cannot really be domesticated?

There was this recent thing in Ohio where another guy had a whole park full of wild animals, and he killed himself and turned them all lose. The cops, lacking tranquilizer guns, simply shot nearly all of the animals. All in all, a sad tale.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

Re: Elephant in the Room
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:54:37 AM »
I should make it clear that the Lion was killed by accident. It wasn't an execution by eclectic shock. And no XO, the Lion's death is not something you want to see at all, but it's a remarkable scene nonetheless, and brings home the kind of tragic, sad, and painful end a majestic animal like a Lion can meet if they are kept as pets. Frankly I'm still taken by the scene 24 hours after seeing it. 

BSB