Author Topic: Hey Prof!  (Read 5164 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hey Prof!
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »
Just in case you missed the announcement: Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Hey Prof!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:45:04 AM »
I know. I keep track of ANYTHING related to Bablyon 5. I have already ordered several as Amazon is offering a "deal" right now.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »
But....................will they ever bring back Firefly? 

OR

With all the books that have been written  post Star Wars, will we ever see a non Lucas production of a Star Wars sequal?  I realize Lucas has no intentions of making any more, but is his permission required to produce any Star Wars offshoots?  Leia actually gave birth to twins, and Luke apparently married a former sith assasin, taking orders directly from Palpatine.  I think they even had a child they named Ben
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »
I know. I keep track of ANYTHING related to Bablyon 5. I have already ordered several as Amazon is offering a "deal" right now.

Did you end up with a copy of the "Declaration of Principles" limited edition print?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Firefly as a series? Nope. We might get a few more movies, though.

I would like to see episodes 7-9 of the Star Wars saga completed, but Lucas has already said that he is not going to do it or authorize anyone else. If it gets done, it will have to be one of his children that do it after he dies.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:10:36 PM »

Did you end up with a copy of the "Declaration of Principles" limited edition print?

No, I got a shirt with it on it. Thanks for the heads up, though, I'll go check about it.

Plane is into Doctor Who. Plane, check this out: http://www.cafepress.com/buy/doctor%20who/-/cfpt2_/cfpt_/source_searchBox/copt_
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:54:36 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

I'm afraid that won't happen.  The director and writer of the series would have, had the movie Serenity made some reasonable return in the Theaters.  And despite my contribution in going to see it, it apparently bombed in the boxoffice, and he made it known that Firefly is no more.   :(

I would like to see episodes 7-9 of the Star Wars saga completed, but Lucas has already said that he is not going to do it or authorize anyone else. If it gets done, it will have to be one of his children that do it after he dies.

Actually, he "can't" do it, since in the original scripts, Lucas didn't have the Emperor showing himself until episode 9, and Leia wasn't actually Luke's sister.  Luke's sister would show herself in episode 8 I believe.  However, for whatever reasons, Lucas decided to modify his original plan and brought in the Emperor in our Return of the Jedi episode, as well as deciding as early as Empire Strikes Back that Leia would be Luke's sibling.  So early on, he made his decision that his 9 episodes was only going to be 6.  But I don't see why he couldn't allow some other director(s) to take a shot at some follow-up episodes,........for a small "fee" of course      8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:52:52 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
"I'm afraid that won't happen.  The director and writer of the series would have, had the movie Serenity made some reasonable return in the Theaters.  And despite my contribution in going to see it, it apparently bombed in the boxoffice, and he made it known that Firefly is no more"

Really too bad. I liked Serenity/Firefly almost as much as Babylon 5. I liked B5 better in that it was a five-year story arc and so the characters became deeper and the plots more complex. But, as you say, it probably will not happen. The same thing happened to B5's "Legend of the Rangers" on TV. It was our hope for a follow-on series once the network screwed up Crusade.

My current favorite TV series, Jericho, apparently is "on the bubble" and so might not make it. Dangit!
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 03:24:56 PM »
Really too bad. I liked Serenity/Firefly almost as much as Babylon 5. I liked B5 better in that it was a five-year story arc and so the characters became deeper and the plots more complex. But, as you say, it probably will not happen. The same thing happened to B5's "Legend of the Rangers" on TV. It was our hope for a follow-on series once the network screwed up Crusade.

Firefly had a 5 year arc as well. But it fell victim to the mentality among network heads that "science fiction won't make money" and they dorked around with it just like they have every other reasonable sci-fi show, changing dates and timeslots on a nearly weekly basis.

I missed most of the 3rd season of B5 when it originally aired because of this - TiVo makes it easier to handle, though. I never missed any of Firefly even though it moved around all the time, because I already had a TiVo by then.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
Really too bad. I liked Serenity/Firefly almost as much as Babylon 5. I liked B5 better in that it was a five-year story arc and so the characters became deeper and the plots more complex. But, as you say, it probably will not happen.

Firefly had a 5 year arc as well. But it fell victim to the mentality among network heads that "science fiction won't make money" and they dorked around with it just like they have every other reasonable sci-fi show, changing dates and timeslots on a nearly weekly basis.

Strangely, I never had the chance to see Firefly until it came out on DVD, and only after I had seen the movie Serenity.  I made such a mention of how much I liked the moviem that my wife bought me that 1st and only series for my Birthday, and I went thru it within 2 weeks, it was that good.  I told her she needed to see it, and now she's severely bummed that no other season/show will be made.  Yep, major depression for us Sci Fi fans

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »

I missed most of the 3rd season of B5 when it originally aired because of this - TiVo makes it easier to handle, though. I never missed any of Firefly even though it moved around all the time, because I already had a TiVo by then.

I believe the only reason Babylon 5 made it was it it was on the UPN Network at the end. Scifi, as you know, has a difficult time on network TV due to the Nielsons. Look at Jericho, for example, a marginally scifi show. It is on the bubble and may not make it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:17:32 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
Really too bad. I liked Serenity/Firefly almost as much as Babylon 5. I liked B5 better in that it was a five-year story arc and so the characters became deeper and the plots more complex. But, as you say, it probably will not happen.

Strangely, I never had the chance to see Firefly until it came out on DVD, and only after I had seen the movie Serenity.  I made such a mention of how much I liked the moviem that my wife bought me that 1st and only series for my Birthday, and I went thru it within 2 weeks, it was that good.  I told her she needed to see it, and now she's severely bummed that no other season/show will be made.  Yep, major depression for us Sci Fi fans

I agree, sirs, wholeheaertedly. But then again I remember all the cool scifi shows over the years that also have not made it like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Crusade, The Original Battlestar Galactica, The Time Tunnel (dating myself here!), Land of the Giants, etc. At least we have The Dresden Files, Stargate and Stargate: Atlantis. And, probably, the only reason these survive is that it is not network TV, its the Scifi Channel.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:18:19 PM by The_Professor »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 08:47:54 PM »
Excellent point, professor     8)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 11:36:33 AM »

Firefly was a great series (and the movie was good as well). I think all the actors have moved on to other projects though. I think I was one of the few hundred people that watched the show while it actually aired. Unfortunately Fox was the worst network to host the series. They showed it out of sequence and didn't even bother to show the pilot (if I recall correctly). Plus they would go weeks without showing an episode. The major networks never fail to amaze me with incompetence. Or perhaps they know what they are doing and it is the viewers that are really to blame for the garbage that eventually gets air time.

If the prequels are any indication, perhaps it is best if one of Lucas' children does the 7-9 movies for Star Wars.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »
Got my print in today. Included a handwritten note from JMS: