Author Topic: Jerry Falwell as enabler of Pagan proselytizing  (Read 3219 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jerry Falwell as enabler of Pagan proselytizing
« on: December 09, 2006, 09:54:03 AM »
Last summer a pair of students attending Hollymead Elementary School in Albemarle County, Virginia, wanted to advertise their church's Vacation Bible School in the school's "backpack mail" (a school program of distributing info about school related events and the like by putting folders of fliers into student backpacks). The school initially refused, but someone contacted Jerry Falwell's Liberty Council, and after a letter from the Liberty Council, the school relented and allowed the VBS advertising.

Which brings us to the Pagans. A Pagan group from a Unitarian-Universalist church has received permission to advertise “an educational program for children of all ages (and their adults), where we’ll explore the traditions of December and their origins, followed by a Pagan ritual to celebrate Yule.” Apparently a number of Christian parents are displeased with the decision. And the school is now considering not allowing material promoting religious events or groups in backpack mail.

I am left wondering how long it will be until some parent or other becomes upset that the school won't allow their child(ren) to advertise some Christian event.

More on this story at the end of this link and this link. Warning: both links go to biased versions of the story. The first one leads to the Americans United for Separation of Church and State blog. The second leads to a WorldNetDaily article. The WorldNetDaily page does include a copy of the Pagan ad. Oddly enough, the WorldNetDaily article does not mention the Liberty Council, saying instead School Board chairwoman Sue Friedman is blaming a decision by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Maryland.

Of course, this is why we need more separation of church and state, not less. No Christian fliers and no Pagan ones either. Then the Christian parents won't have to worry about having Paganism pushed on their children. Pah ha ha ha ha. Sorry, it's just hard to drum up concern for Christians worried about other people proselytizing. And I say that as someone who regularly attends church.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Jerry Falwell as enabler of Pagan proselytizing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »
I am shocked , shocked I say at this proposal of censorship.

I don't think that Christianity needs to be quashed , nor protected from competeing ideas .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »

I don't think that Christianity needs to be quashed , nor protected from competeing ideas .

Who said anything about quashing Christianity? Or protecting it from competing ideas?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:20:54 AM »

Who said anything about quashing Christianity? Or protecting it from competing ideas?

Who ever it wa that said" No Christian fliers and no Pagan ones either. ".

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:33:35 AM »

Um, okay. Would you care to explain how that qualifies as quashing Christianity and protecting it from competing ideas? I mean, I really do not see how not having fliers distributed by schools suppresses the entire religion. And I cannot figure out how it protects the religion in any fashion. So please, if you would, elucidate.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »
Ugh! Vacation Bible School wasted far too many of my Summers.

It's not like they actually got very deeply into the Bible. They just read the parts of the Bible they like. The rest, they ignore.

Ten hours with Isaac Asimov's Guide to the OT and NT taught me more than three years of VBS.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 07:04:15 AM »

Um, okay. Would you care to explain how that qualifies as quashing Christianity and protecting it from competing ideas? I mean, I really do not see how not having fliers distributed by schools suppresses the entire religion. And I cannot figure out how it protects the religion in any fashion. So please, if you would, elucidate.

I misunderstood you then , I thought you were going to remove the right of free speech from a large group of citizens for the length of time that they were students.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »

I misunderstood you then , I thought you were going to remove the right of free speech from a large group of citizens for the length of time that they were students.

G'HUH? What could possibly have given you that idea? Are you making a joke?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »

G'HUH? What could possibly have given you that idea? Are you making a joke?

No Christian fliers and no Pagan ones either.

I guess it is funny , but either you are proposeing a ban on religious discussion , or I am misunderstanding you badly.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 12:29:21 AM »

I guess it is funny , but either you are proposeing a ban on religious discussion , or I am misunderstanding you badly.

Clearly you are misunderstanding me. Who said anything about a ban on religious discussion? How did you pull "proposing a ban on religious discussion" out of "no Christian fliers and no Pagan ones either"? I did not say a word about banning discussion or free speech. What I proposed was the school not approving the use of the school's "backpack mail" for the distribution of fliers promoting religion oriented events. This would not constitute a ban on religious discussion, a removal of free speech or a quashing of a religion. And I have no idea how it is you could have concluded otherwise. So either you're pulling my leg on this one, or you're misunderstanding me because you've jumped to completely erroneous conclusions for no apparent reason.