Author Topic: Days of rage: There's something happening here  (Read 6839 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Days of rage: There's something happening here
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
Come to the Carolinas and you can write nasty death threats to Hispanic or Black leaders. It happens everyday.

I've been in Charlotte for nearly two years. Haven't seen any of those.

I was listening to NPR just the other day and they ran a story on the leader of an Hispanic group in North Carolina that watches for any sort of hate crimes, but also helps find opportunities for Hispanic people. The lady that runs the group has received death threats nearly every day for the past few years, unfortunately they have gotten much worse recently and more specific.

Not seeing them, does not mean it does not happen.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Come to the Carolinas and you can write nasty death threats to Hispanic or Black leaders. It happens everyday[/b].

I lived in Columbia, SC for a year.  Me neither.  It included traveling back and forth from the more urbanized Columbia area to a much more rural area in Ridgeway.   
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

richpo64

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
>>You don't see it in Jacksonville either, and it doesn't get any more consevative than here.<<

It could be that since the left hasn't been able to fool the citizens into voting for their candidates very often therefore we on the right think they are far worse than we are. So if we just compare the most recent presidents, Clinton and Bush, the left wins the nastiness contest hands down. The right attacked Clinton, not the country. Over the past eight years the left has arguably committed treason. The right has never done that. So IMHO, using that criteria the left is bare far more unscrupulous and hateful.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »
Come to the Carolinas and you can write nasty death threats to Hispanic or Black leaders. It happens everyday[/b].

I lived in Columbia, SC for a year.  Me neither.  It included traveling back and forth from the more urbanized Columbia area to a much more rural area in Ridgeway.   

Hmmm.

You can measure the time I've lived in the South in decades, which includes two states and time spent in all eleven of the confederate states. I have a deep Southern drawl. I did not attend a prep school in New England or any Ivy League Universities like the current President...

But by all means I defer to the expert with one year in Columbia.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
The lady that runs the group has received death threats nearly every day for the past few years, unfortunately they have gotten much worse recently and more specific.

First off, with no specifics, I find that hard to believe. She hasn't turned them over to the police? No investigation was done? Anybody can make such claims, I've seen many examples of claims that turned out to be not true. There was one posted in here just a few days ago. And for all we know, it's one guy writing each letter, mailing them once a day. Doesn't mean that there are hoards of people making death threats daily in the south.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »
Hmmm.

You can measure the time I've lived in the South in decades, which includes two states and time spent in all eleven of the confederate states. I have a deep Southern drawl. I did not attend a prep school in New England or any Ivy League Universities like the current President...

I've lived in the south for decades as well, having first moved to North Carolina in 1977. My wife grew up along the NC coast, we were married in Belmont, and my daughter was born in Charlotte. I've also moved around a bit. I have a southern drawl when I speak to others from the south (which becomes a NJ nasal accent when I talk to someone from the northeast, and midwesterner twang when I talk to someone from the midwest, and a B'more accent when I'm talking to someone from the mid Atlantic).

Maybe I'm too close and can't see it, as Mikey says?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
The lady that runs the group has received death threats nearly every day for the past few years, unfortunately they have gotten much worse recently and more specific.

First off, with no specifics, I find that hard to believe. She hasn't turned them over to the police? No investigation was done? Anybody can make such claims, I've seen many examples of claims that turned out to be not true. There was one posted in here just a few days ago. And for all we know, it's one guy writing each letter, mailing them once a day. Doesn't mean that there are hoards of people making death threats daily in the south.

Actually, the police are investigating.

By all means, go listen to the story on NPR if you think I'm lying.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »
Hmmm.

I've lived in the south for decades as well, having first moved to North Carolina in 1977. My wife grew up along the NC coast, we were married in Belmont, and my daughter was born in Charlotte. I've also moved around a bit. I have a southern drawl when I speak to others from the south (which becomes a NJ nasal accent when I talk to someone from the northeast, and midwesterner twang when I talk to someone from the midwest, and a B'more accent when I'm talking to someone from the mid Atlantic).

Maybe I'm too close and can't see it, as Mikey says?

I love it here. I really do. The food is wonderful. The people are friendlier than most any other place I've ever been (Canadians are the closest). I love a great deal of the culture (no one from outside the South truly appreciates college football, grimace all you like - but it is true).

But there is a duality in the South as in no other place. On one hand a person can be extremely friendly and hospitable, on the other they may spout something as hateful as you've ever heard. Race is a big deal here and those who say otherwise are simply not telling the truth or they've never left the comfortable confines of the suburbs.

I don't know about California, New York, or elsewhere, but people here still purposefully move to all white school districts. There are people who still hate to see mixed racial couples and they are not afraid to let you know about it. I used to play basketball with a county judge's son whose father kept racist (klan) memorabilia in his garage. I've seen campaign ads, back when immigration was a big deal, that blatantly portrayed Mexicans in a terrible, cartoonish light.

So yeah...somewhere just underneath the surface, race plays a major role in Southern life. Perhaps it is a lot to expect for a region to change so quickly.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »
You can measure the time I've lived in the South in decades, which includes two states and time spent in all eleven of the confederate states. I have a deep Southern drawl. I did not attend a prep school in New England or any Ivy League Universities like the current President...But by all means I defer to the expert with one year in Columbia.

I must have missed the part where I referenced my being "an expert".  I'm sure Js can higlight that for us though.  I thought I had simply referenced my experience, for what it was worth, and at no time did I ever witness some "daily racist event"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
Did you notice where the white folks in Columbia live? The black folks? Did you notice who has the money?

Did you ever make a trip down to the Low Country?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »
Yes, yes, never asked, and yes (though only as a vacation).  And all the while none of those examples of daily racist acts aimed at blacks or hispanics

I'm assuming of course you are the self proclaimed, "expert", now, correct?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:32:38 PM by sirs »

richpo64

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
JS wrote:
>>Did you notice where the white folks in Columbia live? The black folks? Did you notice who has the money?<<

Notice they've voted democrat for decades and decades and they still live in the same area and still have no money.

You'd think they'd make that connection at some point.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
Yes, yes, never asked, and yes (though only as a vacation).  And all the while none of those examples of daily racist acts aimed at blacks or hispanics

I'm assuming of course you are the self proclaimed, "expert", now, correct?

Trying to have a discussion Sirs. I have lived here for quite some time, but nowhere did I claim to be an "expert."

I can see that there is little point in discussing the South with you. Hell, I can see that there is little point having a discussion with you at all. What is the point of this forum?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
By all means, go listen to the story on NPR if you think I'm lying.

I didn't say that you are lying about the story being on NPR. CBS carried a story about a McCain campaign worker named Ashley Todd that was attacked and mutilated by an Obama supporter in Pittsburgh; does that make the story automatically true?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »
Yes, yes, never asked, and yes (though only as a vacation).  And all the while none of those examples of daily racist acts aimed at blacks or hispanics  I'm assuming of course you are the self proclaimed, "expert", now, correct?

Trying to have a discussion Sirs. I have lived here for quite some time...

As has Ami, apparently.

...but nowhere did I claim to be an "expert."

YET....there you were with almost the knee jerk application of such to my post, simply because I never witnessed what you apparently witness on a daily basis.

I can see that there is little point in discussing the South with you. Hell, I can see that there is little point having a discussion with you at all. What is the point of this forum?

To debate issues without kneejerk defensive responses would be a start, to a more constructive forum.  Again, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them dumb, stupid, racist, and/or more superior (NOT, that that's what you have claimed, yet the inferrence, especially aimed at political figures/pundits you don't care for and who are not present to defend themselves, sure tends to be front & center