Author Topic: A Matter of Character ... Foley's, but Who Else's?  (Read 1515 times)

domer

A Matter of Character ... Foley's, but Who Else's?
« on: October 04, 2006, 03:18:12 PM »
The Foley Watch raises a serious, tangential issue: how far are we to probe into the foibles of our peers? While of course deferring to the facts as they unfold, some versions portraying rather sinister motives on the part of the Republican House leadership, how much knowledge is enough (by that leadership and the entire body of colleagues in Congress) to overcome a "presumption of normalcy" that not only members of Congress extend to each other but which we all do in our daily lives, if only as a matter of politeness? The dynamics of pinning the "sinister" or "reckless" or "negligent" label on the House leadership -- which I will not prejudge -- must unfold against the backdrop of social conventions in general and the mores of Congress in particular. While the question is not, "Am I my brother's keeper?" or "Am I my colleague's monitor?" maybe it is justly, "Am I my colleague's supervisor?" But when does an "oversight responsibility" kick in? Shall we establish a "short leash" approach contrary to our political tradition and the bedrock principle of independence that lets our system work? When does an odd fellow become a creep or a pervert or a criminal, and how hard should we non-law-enforcement people probe to find out? Is the tolerance and mutual respect which are ideals for our legislature now be watered down to a more distrustful standard?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Matter of Character ... Foley's, but Who Else's?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »
What do you think?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Matter of Character ... Foley's, but Who Else's?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:33:10 AM »
Some Congressmen have been censured worse than Foley could have been and were re-elected!

I am thinking that the worst case we have had yet was shortly before the Civil War when a northern Congressman committed calumny in an atrocious speech , then was beaten nearly to death at his desk by a southern Congressman.

Both were re-elected even though one was crippled by the beating and couldn't attend votes and the other was certainly guilty of assault on the floor of the Congress.

Several Congressman have been cencured and re-elected , this has to be fair , the people should be represented by their own choice as much as possible.

Congressmen can be expelled , but I think that Congress is correct to be reluctant to use the power , the ultimate responsibility rests with the electorate.