Author Topic: Transformers shirt gets jet ban  (Read 1040 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Transformers shirt gets jet ban
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
AIRPORT guards stopped a man boarding a plane ? for wearing a Transformers T-shirt showing a cartoon gun.

By ANDY CRICK

Brad Jayakody, 30, was shocked when he was told to change his top if he wanted to catch his flight from Heathrow?s Terminal 5.

IT consultant Brad - on a British Airways trip with four colleagues to Dusseldorf, Germany - asked to see the security chief.

He thought the boss would "see sense" - but he backed up the decision and threatened him with ARREST. Aussie-born Brad said: "My mate set off the alarms and was searched.

"But then the guy told me to stop and said 'you cannot get on the plane because there is a gun on your T-shirt'."

The top has the Transformers film character Optimus Prime on the front.

Brad, of Bayswater, West London, added: "It?s a cartoon robot with a gun as an arm. What was I going to do, use the shirt to pretend I have a gun?

"I was flabbergasted. I thought the supervisor would come over and see sense, but he didn?t. After I changed he said if I changed back I would be arrested."

A spokesman for Heathrow operator BAA said: "If a T-shirt had a rude word or a bomb on it for example, a passenger may be asked to remove it.

"We are investigating what happened to see if it came under this category."

Last year Gatwick guards made a woman hand over a beef sandwich before boarding and last week a PhD student was stopped for wearing a gun-shaped charm necklace at an airport in Canada.

Original Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Transformers shirt gets jet ban
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »
I wonder if one can get on a plane wearing a t-shirt with
(1) a pair of nail clippers.
(2) a bottle of hand lotion,
(3) a Bic lighter,
(4) an image of the Mutant Ninja Turtles,
(5) perhaps a menacing image of the Hulk in full beserker mode?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »
Not to minimize the insanity of the other requests, but what on earth is wrong with a beef sandwich?  My wife and I, particularly in this age of no-frills air travel, have more than once brought hot pastrami sandwiches with us to the airport.  Usually eaten before boarding, due to the lengthy delays in the boarding process.

Just asking.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
Not to minimize the insanity of the other requests, but what on earth is wrong with a beef sandwich?

Perhaps it could have been a beef sandwich BOMB. With TNT instead of horseradish.

============================
Here in Miami, a woman had a bottle of formula on which her baby was sucking. But alas, it was more than was permitted and the Homeland Security droid told her to hand it over. When she refused, a supervisor was called, and she was forced to turn it over and missed her flight. After the bottle was seized, it was thrown into a barrel about 15 feet away from the search area.

If we assume that the confiscated lotions, balms, formulae, unguents and other emollients are deadly nitroglycerine, then why would we put them all together in a barrel where they would blow up a hundred or so passengers and HS agents if there WAS an explosive in some bottle or tube? 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:41:38 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »
Not to minimize the insanity of the other requests, but what on earth is wrong with a beef sandwich?

Mad cow disease was the excuse used for that one.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)