Author Topic: You know its bad when Dems ban audio/video from debates  (Read 7439 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
You know its bad when Dems ban audio/video from debates
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- U.S. Rep. John Spratt will debate his Republican challenger Mick Mulvaney on Tuesday, but the only people who will get to see any of it have already bought tickets to the sold out dinner at a South Carolina Lions Club.

Reporters will be allowed, but Spratt's campaign asked for no audio or video recording of the debate between the candidates.

Mulvaney's campaign protested the request when agreeing to the debate, then sent out a news release Monday slamming Spratt saying "in this country, we have open debates."

It's the latest indication that Republicans see a good chance to knock off Spratt, the longest serving congressman in the South Carolina delegation and chairman of the House's budget-writing committee.

Spratt was first elected to the sprawling Fifth District in 1982.

No cameras in debate after Spratt's request

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: You know its bad when Dems ban audio/video from debates
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
just like with concert bans on cameras
which as a matter of fact i never understood
it wont work
cell phones have camera/video/recording
somebody will get around this BS
it's harder for TaxoCrats to hide these days
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
You'll notice no condemnation from Xo, or any leftist punditry.  Instead, we have a new obsession, folks in orange suits
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
You'll notice no condemnation from Xo, or any leftist punditry.  Instead, we have a new obsession, folks in orange suits

Where is there an obligation to condemn anything you have no control over?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »
Since when is a requirement of control necessary to condem/criticize <enter anything here>

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »
Since when is a requirement of control necessary to condem/criticize <enter anything here>

Control isn't necessary to comment. My question concerned the requirement to comment negatively or otherwise upon an issue .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:01 AM »
You must have erased the post where I was requiring a response.  I can't seem to find it, in my archive

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:53 AM »
Then why this snark?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 04:27:36 AM »
Precisely what exactly is wrong with it?  It was merely an observation.  No mandate, no demand, no requirement of any kind.  Merely an astute observation.

::)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
Well it certainly was an incomplete observation, as Pooch, UP, Brass, and myself failed to offer up any comments on the main subject matter of the thread. Which kinda renders the acute observation meaningless, absent a requirement to comment.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
If such comments were generated from the likes of you, Pooch, or even Up, I can guess where they may have been, on the criticizing table.  Being this is a story about Democrats, my observation noted an obvious omission of any such condemnation from those who generally support democrats, cart blanche

So again, not sure what you're getting at, since my observation was specific to leftist punditry.  Why would it include critical commentary from the right??      ???

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
No matter the point on the spectrum from which my comments would be based on this particular issue, i find it odd that singling out one poster for failing to voluntarily comment on one of your offerings seems strange.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
In context I didn't single anyone out, since I referenced Leftist Punditry, which basically encompasses.......anyone with a leftist view.  Xo's name was merely used since he's the only one on the left currently posting in the saloon, who fits the parameters of leftist punditry.

Nothing odd there, what-so-ever.  Then again, I think you already knew that, which begs the question, why this riding sirs down with the misrepresentation of supposed demands for condemnations by the likes of Xo??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
Unfortunately, i don't think you made your case that leftist punditry did not comment on this dem candidates actions. Did you do a search and come up empty, or did you just decide to include leftist punditry to give you wiggle room in your obvious barb towards XO.

Argue ideas, not personalities. And yeah i know XO is just as guilty as you of personalizing the debate.

And that was the point of my post. And i do think singling out a non commenter as speaking volumes for an entire spectrum of political thought is not only annoying but pointless to boot , as last i heard there is no requirement to comment.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
I think I did, since in fact, leftest pundity has NOT been commenting on this Dem Candidate's actions.  No, I did not facilitate a serach.  Yes, I have been paying attention to the various news outlets, as well as the saloon.  And I have yet to hear any serious criticism or condemnation from such sources

So yes, I have argued ideas...this one is the conbtinued non-existent criticism of a Democrat by those on the left, that would be excoriated by everyone, including those on the right, had this been a Republican

Your issue is a misdiagnosed conclusion, that someone I was trying to pick on Xo, and Xo alone.  And you'd be wrong, as my commentary has clearly demonstrated.  Perhaps your efforts would be more put to use in trying to reign in those who are merely calling each other names, here in the saloon.  That would fit far more closely to the notion of advocating the arguement of ideas vs personalities