Author Topic: You know, the more I read the more I  (Read 6851 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You know, the more I read the more I
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
The US spends less on foreign aid per capita than most, if not all, of the big eight economic powers, ...
How do you figure that?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »
The US spends less on foreign aid per capita than most, if not all, of the big eight economic powers,

Country    Financial Aid
$M per 100k
France15.417
Germany14.920
Italy6.580
Japan6.035
UK16.271
US7.117
Canada11.733
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:07 PM »
The US spends less on foreign aid per capita than most, if not all, of the big eight economic powers,

Country    Financial Aid
$M per 100k
France15.417
Germany14.920
Italy6.580
Japan6.035
UK16.271
US7.117
Canada11.733

I wouldn't have guessed, where did you find that?

Does this include non-government?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »
I wouldn't have guessed, where did you find that?

Does this include non-government?

Dollar figures from the UN, populations from Wikipedia. Math courtesy of an HP RPN calculator.

This was only government spending. Incidently, in terms of raw dollars, the US spends nearly twice what the next highest government spends, but we have about 3 times the population.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:07:03 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 02:49:06 AM »
But the United ARAB Emirates, Qatar and also Arabic countries, and Egypt & Syria used to call themselves the United ARAB Republic. Jordan is officially the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, and the Hashemites are an Arab people. I think Libya calls itself the Libyan ARAB Jamahurayyat. Not sure of the last word's spelling, but it means republic, i.e. no monarchy. I realize the term Arabic is linked to the religion, and is therefore not always used as precisely as the Germans use the word German or the Swedes use the word Swedish.

Of course the others are Arab countries, however, I think you're overstating the extremism in education within those countries, hence why I excluded most of them. However, I forgot Egypt and Yemen which are still pretty backwards in the rural areas.

Jamahirayyat comes from Jamahiriya, which means ruled by the people, or masses, in the literal Arabic translation. Qaddafi changed the word from the original meaning which started with "jum" instead of "jam." "Jum" means public; "Jam" indicates people, or masses.

(Just for the sake of trivia, when you see the words Juma and Madrassa together, it means public school.)

My point was that the  traditional system that is used to teach a majority of Muslims was largely based in memorization in a language spoken by virtually none of the locals. That is a tremendous handicap.

I agree on that point. However, in this day and age, the handicap is reversed - most Muslims have to go for special study to read the Qu'ran because they don't understand the language. Further confusing everything is the fact that there is "formal" Arabic and "informal" Arabic that are so extremely different that you have to be educated in both.

Iran, being Shiite, has an entirely different educational tradition, which still retains some of the reforms made under the Shah.

However, in practice, there is still a great deal of extremism in education in Iran - which is why I mentioned them while missing your point about language.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 03:11:56 AM »
Jamahirayyat comes from Jamahiriya, which means ruled by the people, or masses, in the literal Arabic translation. Qaddafi changed the word from the original meaning which started with "jum" instead of "jam." "Jum" means public; "Jam" indicates people, or masses.

(Just for the sake of trivia, when you see the words Juma and Madrassa together, it means public school.)

Also - I forgot to mention (again for the sake of trivia or general interest in language) - when you add "at" on the end of a word you are simply making it plural.

And speaking of Libya - what a sad little country. Even though Qaddafi is moderating to a great degree, it is simply miserable and almost a time capsule as nothing has changed there in years and years. My husband had to spend 2 months there on business and I've never seen him so unhappy before. Of course, it could have had something to do with the fact that he got sick the first time he ate in a public (non-hotel) restaurant... with amoebic dysentery for crying out loud!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »

However, in practice, there is still a great deal of extremism in education in Iran - which is why I mentioned them while missing your point about language.

========================================
I was thinking about Azar Nifisi's book, "Reading Lolita in Teheran", which was written by a literature professor of the upper class who tells of her trials in teaching British and American lit in several universities. The educational tradition was American, and the yokels in the Revolutionary Guard took a very long time to affect the curriculum, because they couldn't read English, and spent most of their efforts on forcing women students and professors to wear the veil and other articles of clothing.

Some fields, like engineering and match, really can't be affected much by religious restrictions in the subject matter. Mohammad said nothing about differential calculus, logarithms or reinforced concrete.

Iranians seem to see the Arabs as a backward and unclever bunch of people who lack all the cultural amenities of Persians, who invented everything -- pretty much as many uneducated Americans think of Iranians, curiously.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."