Author Topic: Question about brick and morter  (Read 1468 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question about brick and morter
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:39:45 AM »
If regular store start to go away goes the quality of product go down since people can't see the produce anymore. True customers can return product but most live with it as long as its usable. People are reading a whole lot less since bookstore are disappearing.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Question about brick and morter
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »
People are reading a whole lot less since bookstore are disappearing.

Are they? I think they are reading more or the same, just using different methods. ie kindle.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
True I plan to buy a mini tablet so I can read a bunch of books in my travels. But I got some serious doubts  that many ebooks are read. The price difference of a ebook to a real one is not very much and a used books are cheaper than ebooks and has more titles. The classic books are free but I also doubt many are reading those. On the bus I dont see many ebook readers. I can easily tell thier playing video games. Before i see alot of book readers ;now not so much. Doubt the short attention span may make it hard for folks to read the whole book and not peek at the ending.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »
On the bus I dont see many ebook readers.

That's probably true, but reading books on a bus or a plane had a dual purpose, one to have something to do to pass the time and 2 to send a signal to people sitting close to you that you were busy and not to be disturbed.

Now people can text or play games or yes even read because there are more entertainment devices available too fill those needs.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
Texting and games are replacing reading nowadays. My sis didnt understand why i want to keep my encyclopedia since i can just go online. For the data. I prefer the more in-depht content an encyclopedia has. Internet data always felt summuraized to me since its caters to short attention span crowd. So i believe soon reading will be considered a greater hardship to people.  I think even foriegn films will more ignored unless it already happened due to the subtitles.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
Amazon sources close to the situation have told us that the company is planning on rolling out a retail store in Seattle within the next few months. This project is a test to gauge the market and see if a chain of stores would be profitable. They intend on going with the small boutique route with the main emphasis on books from their growing line of Amazon Exclusives and selling their e-readers and tablets.......

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/amazon-in-the-process-of-launching-a-retail-store/

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
If you want to read books on a computer, I think you will be better off with a Kindle or a Nook. It is LOTS easier to read on them, and you can attach a headset and they will read to you as well.

I have an ASUS e-book and a first generation Kindle, and it is far far superior than trying to read on a tablet. It has a permanent connection to Amazon and even has a tiny keyboard. I bought both the ASUS and the Kindle on Woot!, and I like them both. A tablet with no keyboard sounds like a rather dumb idea, also more expensive than either a netbook or a Kindle, and perhaps even both. When I travel, I have a sportcoat that I got from Haband that has a pocket that the Kindle fits into perfectly, so it is ideal for travel. The Netbook, not so much.

The battery on the Kindle charges faster and lasts longer, and the screen is much easier to read. If you can, try them both before spending your money.

I think I will eventually get a Kindle Fire, since it has a lighted screen.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
well apple store exist to ensure customer loyalty. it focus more on teaching people to use apple product than profit. which makes sense since it creates people more likely to buy more apple products. most business just sell product to people who don't have a good knowledge of the product which hardly means they`ll buy their band. I hear best buy will attempt to mimic apple`s system but the problems will be that these store has a much larger variety of produce than a apple store

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
Apple has expensive stores and that increases the prices that consumers must pay.

Some people refuse to buy online, because they feel that they have to touch the product first. A friend of mine bought an Apple iPad to read books on, he said, and shortly afterward tried reading a book on it. Then he saw my Kindle and bought a Kindle Fire.

Apple has researched their customer base and found them to be touchy-feely. That explains the stores. Apple is very clever at marketing. That is what makes them so profitable. Many mutual funds I own hold Apple stock, and it has paid off. I have zero Apple products, and that has paid off for me as well.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
not just touch, people go there to learn how to use them. all those staff people are not actually selling but teaching people . it creates product loyalty.I call it consumer engineering. the only reason I switched to android is because I needed something more businesses friendly. paying extra to edit a document is not business friendly. 

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
If regular store start to go away goes the quality of product go down since people can't see the produce anymore. True customers can return product but most live with it as long as its usable. People are reading a whole lot less since bookstore are disappearing.

Kimba....I am not sure that the internet has much to do with poor quality, but I do agree about returns. I recently bought a light from a company and they have a 50% re-stocking fee, plus I'd have to pay for return shipping. The light was $150, and it was large and somewhat heavy....so I'd get maybe $55 back after shipping costs when I returned it....so I might try to get $90-$100 on Craigslist/E-bay/Etsy.

There are all kinds of ways the e-world is affecting things...like reading and music. Growing up I used to adore reading every word cover to cover on albums....now most of that is gone....but people interested can actually read more stuff like that about their favorite bands on the internet.  Another thing that has been lost with music is "accidental hits". When I was growing up you'd buy a Rolling Stones album or an Aerosmith album because you liked a couple of songs, but then usually as you listened to the hits on the album you would begin to hear other great "hidden songs" on the same album and some of those songs became classics. Now-a-days kids just buy the hits on i-tunes and miss all the "hidden gems" that are lost because they don't get heard. Another thing I hate about e-music is there is no fast forward or fast backward button. You can repeat a song, but you cant fast forward an i-tune just a few lines and keep repeating say the chorus only. As a kid when I was trying to learn to sing a certain song, I may fast forward or backwind a chorus 25 times till I got it right. Course it's nice to be able to have 1000 song selections on a flight these days....how would one have lugged that many CD's on to a plane 15 years ago?...lol.... I guess the world is always changing...some good...some bad.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »
People are reading a whole lot less since bookstore are disappearing.

===================================================
I really doubt this. If people are reading less, this is not the reason. Most literate people have a computer connection and can easily find the books they want online. In fact, it is both cheaper and easier to find any book online.  I used to cruise  used bookstores looking for specific books, usually not finding them. Online I can find any book in 10 days or less.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »
Hmm
I was under the imppression if a book s not very popular your chances get real slim in finding  a digital version. Since your depending on somebody thinking it worth the trouble of making a digital copy. Thats how i found out not all vhs make it to dvd ,let alone the internet.

I read rare pulp books and know some of those will never be made digital. Since some copies simply dont exist to today.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
People are still reading printed books, and it is cheaper and easier than ever to get them online. People are not reading less because fewer books are digitized.

When I say I can find books online more easily than ever before, I was referring to printed books, not digitized ones. Shipping from Amazon is $3.99 usually, and often the sale price of a used book is a dollar or less. Digitized books cost more.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
That makse sense. I heard of this massive usedbook reseller that buys book from bookstores closing down and i doubt thru bother going through all thier purchase to maximize the profit so its likely they sell them at a very low cost