Author Topic: Report: Patriots to sign Tim Tebow  (Read 9343 times)

BSB

Report: Patriots to sign Tim Tebow
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »
Report: Patriots to sign Tim Tebow
?Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports
(Photo: Jim Rogash, Getty Images)
5:49 p.m. EDT June 10, 2013
Bill Belichick is now just kicking the New York Jets while they're down. Tim Tebow is on his way to Foxborough to join the New England Patriots.
The former Jets and Denver Broncos quarterback and utility player is expected to sign with the Patriots on Tuesday and be on the field this week for the team's minicamp, ESPN is reporting.
PERFECT PLACE: Pats always made sense for Tebow (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/new-england-has- always-been-the-perfect-place-for-tim-tebow/)
KEPT PRAYING: Tebow never lost hope (http://m.usatoday.com/article/sports/2377877)

??????The reported signing contradicts recent reports that Belichick didn't like Tebow as a player and that Tebow had given up on his chances of continuing his NFL career following his disaster of a season with the Jets in 2012, when he was passed over for Greg McElroy late in the season after Mark Sanchez lost his starting job.
Belichick certainly hasn't given up on Tebow. And if any coach or team is best suited to handle the sideshow Tebow brings, it's Belichick and the Patriots.
Belichick certainly hasn't given up on Tebow, and if any coach and team are best suited to handle the sideshow Tebow brings, they are Belichick and the Patriots.
Remember, too, that Josh McDaniels, Tebow's head coach in Denver, is the Patriots' offensive coordinator.
Tebow brought his baggage to the Jets last year and, despite owner Woody Johnson's visions of him being a draw for the fans, he was nothing more than a distraction. Even Sanchez admitted as much following the year by stating, "I just don't know if it was the best situation for either of us. ... You can avoid that stuff on your own if you like, in my opinion, but he's a popular guy and people gravitate towards the guy."
Consider this Belichick's way of showing the Jets how to handle the attention Tebow brings. If he succeeds, gets some production out of Tebow and doesn't distract from the overall goal of continued success during his regime, that'll be yet another dart sent in the direction of Florham Park, N.J.
As for Tebow, he's been intent on saying he can and will be a full-time NFL quarterback once again. New England is not the place for that to happen, at least not with a healthy Tom Brady under center.
Tebow figures to continue serving as a utility player on offense and a special-teams contributor. It's a role he accepted with the Jets, only to privately sulk when he learned he wouldn't be replacing Sanchez late in the year. That he's headed to back up one of the best quarterbacks in the game reveals Tebow has accepted his role will be as a contributor somewhere other than at quarterback.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/06/10/tim-tebow-another-chance-bill-belichick-new-york-jets/2409685/

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Report: Patriots to sign Tim Tebow
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
Speaking of saloon policy, this would generally be considered more appropriate for the SPORTS section of Debategate.  Just FYI
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »
Tim Tebow is not noted so much for his abilities as a player as he is for his public displays of piety.

I have nothing against his religious habits.

Praying is not a bad thing, but somehow praying before a form of entertainment like a football game seems somehow rather silly. Still, it is his right to do this,and being as he is an entertainer, he needs something to distinguish himself from all the other guys who dress alike and would be indistinguishable if not for the numbers on their identical clothes. I never watch pro anything, and I know who Tim Tebow is. I can name Joe Namath, OJ Simpson and Larry Csonka and Tim Tebow and I would have to think really hard to name any of the other 100-odd NFL players.

I know that the Penguins will never play the Heat, and that seems somehow disappointing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:16:48 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
How is it any different than every other player's public displays??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
How is it any different than every other player's public displays??

============================
It is memorable. Others are not.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »
Speaking of saloon policy, this would generally be considered more appropriate for the SPORTS section of Debategate.  Just FYI

Next time you try to be a moderator i am going to boot your ass right out the door. Got it?

BSB

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
Tebow Finds a New Home in New England
By BEN SHPIGEL
The Jets released Tim Tebow six weeks ago, and the longer he went unsigned, the dimmer his N.F.L. prospects seemed. Arena football beckoned. So did Canada, if he wanted to go, which he did not. Only the N.F.L. would suffice, and now that Tebow is poised to return, it is with the benefit of hindsight that perhaps there was only one plausible destination for him all along.

That would be Foxborough, Mass., the home of the New England Patriots, who in recent years have become a haven of sorts for players seeking a second chance. By agreeing to sign with the Patriots, Tebow will try to resuscitate a career gone astray with a team that in spirit and in personality bears little resemblance to his former employer.

There is no whiff of a quarterback controversy, or history of unreasonable expectations, or atmosphere that welcomes attention. The possibility that fans will chant Tebow’s name during a September game at Gillette Stadium, for instance, is unfathomable, if not wholly absurd. Tom Brady’s backup, Ryan Mallett, will be higher on the depth chart than Tebow, who first must make the Patriots’ 53-man roster.

That quest is expected to begin Tuesday at minicamp. The Patriots have not announced the signing, which was first reported by ESPN, but it was confirmed by a person with knowledge of the organization’s plans who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not official.

In his lost season with the Jets, Tebow was misled and marginalized, a poor fit for a team that lacked offensive creativity. The circumstances, at least in theory, are more favorable in New England.

Tebow will be reunited with Josh McDaniels, his coach in Denver. McDaniels, the Patriots’ offensive coordinator, has been a vocal advocate for Tebow, and he would probably welcome the opportunity to prove that his support was not misguided. Tebow will play for a coach, Bill Belichick, who values versatility in his players and has shown a willingness to use them in unorthodox roles, and at different positions. And Tebow will learn from Brady, one of the best quarterbacks ever.

Even if New England signed Tebow with the intent of using him at quarterback, Belichick — a close friend of Tebow’s coach at Florida, Urban Meyer — is bound to embrace the opportunity to deploy him elsewhere. In other words, what the Jets said they would do last year, but rarely did.

A truth of Belichick’s tenure in New England is his willingness to sign anyone if he thinks the player can produce. If he minimized the potential for distraction of Corey Dillon, Albert Haynesworth, Chad Johnson and Randy Moss, then he can probably do the same with Tebow, who is beloved by teammates for his work ethic but has a fervid following of fans because of his outspoken Christian faith.

New England’s structure de-emphasizes the individual, and Belichick is likely to keep Tebow away from the spotlight as much as possible. At least, perhaps, until Sept. 12, a Thursday night, when the Patriots host the Jets on national television. That could be the ultimate nightmare for the Jets: watching a player they barely used come back to haunt them. New England could give Tebow that chance.

Judy Battista contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/sports/football/tim-tebow-finds-new-home-with-new-england-patriots.html

------------------------------------

Think Belichick would like to rub Tebow in the Jets face? He'd love it.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
Speaking of saloon policy, this would generally be considered more appropriate for the SPORTS section of Debategate. Just FYI

Next time you try to be a moderator i am going to boot your ass right out the door. Got it?

Yo, Bt, I don't know why you have this bee up your bonnet, when it comes to my posts, that you supposedly don't spend any time reading.  B made a moderating "suggestion".  I did as well, a suggestion, nothing more.  Are you clamoring for his to the letter of the law adherence, to who is moderator here?  If you did, I must have missed it.  So, if you're going to "boot me", do it for a legitimate breaking of some rule.  You do have a "sports section" right??  If not, I'd be in error.  But since its clearly there, I'd suggest getting back to basics of debate rather than you finding more reasons to rail on me

Unless you plain just don't like me, and in that case, you have the same boot authority.  Just wouldn't set a very good example, would it now

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »
We have 6 regular posters, Gary. We don't need a hall monitor.

You can also put down the erasers, cleaning those now is a union job.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:34:36 AM »
Which of course refutes nothing I just posted

Whatever

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:25:11 AM »
Which of course refutes nothing I just posted

Whatever

I have no intention of debating you concerning this. You know the line, and the consequences.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 02:30:27 AM »
So, suggestions are now offline.  Gotcha   While my point remains unrefuted, I'll look forward to when you actually start demonstrating some consistency on that front with other posters, for similar suggestions

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:55 AM »
In case you missed it the first time:

I have no intention of debating you concerning this. You know the line, and the consequences.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:37 AM »
In case you missed it, I wasn't debating this either.  Outside of this pseudo-vague line you've drawn, that only you can see, there is nothing to debate here     ::)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
If any team can handle the Tebow factor it's the Patriots.
The starting guy will not feel any pressure and won't feel intimidated by TebowMania.
Plus Tebow is back with "his guy" the coach from Denver that drafted him.

I thought it was odd that the most popular player in the NFL didn't have a home.
Now he does.
Hopefully Tim will see some time on the field.
He seems like a fine young man, leader, and example for youth.
BTW...a doctor told his Mother she should abort him.
Tim Tebow is a miracle beyond his major football accomplishments!

Tim Tebow Interview Exclusive on Girlfriends, Taylor Swift, His Foundation and the New York Jets

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987