Author Topic: Non Binding Resolution Simplified  (Read 6227 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Non Binding Resolution Simplified
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:06:50 AM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:12:23 AM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 03:19:48 AM »
Newsflash for soldiers criticizing the debate on the surge (escalation): you're not policy makers, and you have only one vote each. Further, democracy in action is not as clear and direct as a military order. It is often awkward, though always necessary, yet more akin to an art than a science. It's life in action, people deciding or exerting pressure for themselves. It's what you're trying to install in Iraq -- through a thus-far pathetic maze of top-down incompetence.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 03:22:25 AM »
Newsflash for soldiers criticizing the debate on the surge (escalation): you're not policy makers, and you have only one vote each. Further, democracy in action is not as clear and direct as a military order. It is often awkward, though always necessary, yet more akin to an art than a science. It's life in action, people deciding or exerting pressure for themselves. It's what you're trying to install in Iraq -- through a thus-far pathetic maze of top-down incompetence.

That sounds like a good reason for us to inflict it on Iraq.

domer

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 03:24:24 AM »
LOL.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 03:30:27 AM »

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html
JUST DO IT, DAMMIT

The Senate and House of Representatives – under Democrat control – seem to exist for one purpose --- to debate and pass meaningless resolutions relating to the Iraqi front on the war on Islamic fascism (sometimes called by those who haven't thought it out the "war on terror.").

OK .. enough. This "non-binding" resolution is getting a bit wearisome. If you peace-at-any-price Democrats and RINOS are so determined to undercut and weaken President Bush in his attempts to bring the war in Iraq to a successful conclusion .. why not just do away with your non-binding rhetoric and take a real stand!

Cut the funding for the war!

Come on .. .just do it! You've been waving your "Bush lied, people died" flags for years now. You've been lighting your candles at the altar of moveon.org while dreaming of a Barbra Streisand – Susan Sarandon threesome ... just get it done! No more non-binding this, that and the other thing. If you're so damned sure that everything would be just fine if we would just get out of Iraq right now ... vote to cut the funding! The Constitution gives you control over the purse strings ... stand up for your convictions and exercise that control!

And as for you, Hillary ... time to show that you can be a leader. You want the troops out .. and you're saying that if you were president they would be coming home, right? OK ... then show some leadership in the Senate and announce that you're ready to vote ... right NOW ... for legislation that would end all funding for the war in Iraq in 90 days, except for funding directly related to withdrawing our troops and materials. Show you're a leader, Ms. Rodham .. not just a talker.

And just why won't the Democrats take this tact? Because they know that once again they would vividly illustrate to the American people that they are, have been, and will be weak on defense.

When Hillary wins and the Democrats increase their measure of control in the congress .. will things change? When the chips are down will they really send the unmistakable signal to the wonderful world of the Islamic Jihad that the U.S. no longer has the will to fight?
Looks like we're going to find out.

AN ENCOURAGING NEW POLL ABOUT IRAQ

More bad news for the Democrats: a new poll shows that Americans actually want to win the war in Iraq. On top of that, they think we can actually win. Uh-oh...this poses a major problem...how is the Left going to push its defeatist agenda now? Let's take a look at what the new poll says, shall we?

According to the poll by Investor's Business Daily, 66% of Americans say they believe a U.S. victory in Iraq is somewhat or very important. Even 53% of Democrats think so. 58% are somewhat or very hopeful that we will succeed. Not surprisingly, Republicans outweigh the Democrats in the hopeful department by almost 2 to 1. Still though, this is good news. This might help explain why The Hildabeast is riding the fence over opposing the war in Iraq.

If this truly reflects how the American public feels about the war...then things are about to backfire on the Democrats, big-time. If people want us to win over there...how are they going to feel about cutting of funding to the troops? Not very good, it would seem.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:48:46 AM by Plane »

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
He said he wouldn't criticize the president because to him that behavior would be treasonous.

And what is the penalty for treason?

I don't recall seeing where he said that those who do criticize the president should be put up against the wall.

Again, what is the penalty for treason?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:19 AM »
And what is the penalty for treason?

This Sergeant does not have the power to prosecute nor punish treason.

Your question is meaningless in relation to that simple fact.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »
My question pertains to what the sergeant said.

He believes it is treason to criticize the president.

The penalty for treason is death.

You are accusing me of projecting.

I say I am following his statement through to its logical conclusion.

Whether the sergeant has any ability to carry out the penalty on anyone he deems has committed treason is irrelevant to that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »
I say I am following his statement through to its logical conclusion.

Actually you aren't. You are acribing powers to him, he simply doesn't have. So your logical conclusions are illogical.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
Army First Sergeant Louis Barnum: "It makes me sick. I was born and raised a Democrat, but when I see that it just kind of makes me sad."

And using your logic, this sergeant is accusing anti-surge folks of biological and pyschological warfare.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:21:52 PM by BT »

yellow_crane

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »

It certainly was true during the old dispensation that soldiers were blowing air when ciriticizing policy makers.

But the big change in the policy makers' use of military has undergone huge change--I speak here of the use of Blackwater and other private paramilitary concerns.

Were I now serving in Iraq, and witnessed that Blackwater people can elect to either stay or not stay, either fight or not fight, and generally to see National Guard troops--who are under the direct command of US military and do not have the gleeming options that private paramilitary goons have--pushed like fodder to serve indicentally the needs of the Blackwater people.  Too, the payscale is about jibing with the class war of the Neocons--really big money for the paramilitaries, while GI's and their families at home on meagerly issued food stamps are struggling, and have probably heard of the bullshit way their brethern are treated once they get out and get back.  It would take a whole lot of patriotism and a nincompoop compliancy to remain silent and not criticize the Neocon "policy makers."

I wonder, too, just how much fragging is going on.  Were I a GI, and saw that hired goons not subject to military orders or military control were getting off while me and others were subjected to increased danger because of their ability to fight or walk, I might get an attitude.  Were I to see my GI pal get blown up directly caused by smug, elitist retreat by these soldiers of fortune, I might just be impelled to take the matter into my own hands. 

It is clear to see why the Neocons have initiated no draft.  Draftees are a different breed from merit-badge worshipping National Guard, who actually believe the shit spewn out by Neocon cheerleaders.

If you cannot see the over-all detrimental effect to the military and its tradition as well as its honorable well-being by using civilian paramilitary operatives, you haven't thought the matter through.  It ought to be obvious from the debacle of Rumsfeld--a civilian who insinuated himself within the Pentagon, proceeding to establish a divisive atmosphere by use of intimidating swagger, all to the end of completely fucking up the war in Iraq by massive incompetence and, tangential wrongful deletion of our military tradition.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
Actually you aren't. You are acribing powers to him, he simply doesn't have. So your logical conclusions are illogical.

Actually I am. I am speaking of the sergeant's state of mind, which is that he apparently believes that criticizing the president equals treason, which just happens to be punishable by death. Whether or not he has the power to carry out that penalty is irrelevant. That he believes that, is.

Telling that he is so willing to deny others a basic right guaranteed by the Constitution, if only in his mind. He joins hordes of others on the far right who keep squawking that it is treasonous, or unpatriotic, or un-American, to even consider putting the brakes on the madman in the White House.

Oops. There I've done it again. Ah, well, hell, I've criticized pretty much every president since Johnson for one reason or another, and I'm still kicking. Fortunately the framers of the Constitution didn't believe as the good sergeant does.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »
Perhaps yopu can show in the sergeants statements where he said he wants to deny others the right to criticize the president?

I don't see it.
I see where he said criticizing the president would be treasonous behavior for him.
He might think abortion is murder.
Does that mean he wants to prosecute for murder those who have abortions?

yellow_crane

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 08:06:48 PM »

Does that mean he wants to prosecute for murder those who have abortions?

If he is a mega-church Christian, probably.