Author Topic: Any Questions?  (Read 4037 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Any Questions?
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:38 PM »
CBS News has obtained a final draft of House Republicans' legislative agenda for the next Congress, a 21-page "Pledge to America" that they will formally unveil Thursday morning at a Virginia hardware store.

"The need for urgent action to repair our economy and reclaim our government for the people cannot be overstated," the introduction says.

It continues: "With this document, we pledge to dedicate ourselves to the task of reconnecting our highest aspirations to the permanent truths of our founding by keeping faith with the values our nation was founded on, the principles we stand for, and the priorities of our people. This is our Pledge to America."

For a breakdown of the document, check out "Pledge to America: The New Republican Agenda," by CBS News Senior Political Producer Jill Jackson. Below are some highlights, and the full document is at the bottom.

Jobs:
- Stop job-killing tax hikes
- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.

Cutting Spending:
- Repeal and Replace health care
- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)
- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

Reforming Congress:
- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote

Defense:
- Provide resources to troops
- Fund missile defense
- Enforce sanctions in Iran

Sounds like a winning platform.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: Any Questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
Nice start....

A few other things that would be nice....even if it has to be after the election.

If they have the constitutional power, I'd like to see term limits.
US House = 3 Terms Maximum
US Senate = 2 Terms Maximum

Abolish Corporate Taxes (that are passed on to soccer moms and working people)

Severe punishments to any business caught hiring illegal aliens.

Abolish all estate taxes.

Encourage and begin the privatization of our public schools

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
Abolish Corporate Taxes (that are passed on to soccer moms and working people)

I don't know if that will work as corporations have equal status under the law as soccer moms and working people.

14th amendment cases, basically said a corporation was the same as an individual except for the potential of immortality.

The 20% Tax cut for small businesses sounds good on paper but these same businesses would have to be profitable in order to benefit from the tax break.

A better stimulus would be to cut in half or more payroll taxes for both the employer and employee for two years. meeting payroll is often the biggest hurdle each week for the small businessman, and a break on payroll taxes would help slow layoffs.

This might help boost consumption or at least help a little bit in helping people meet rent or mortgage obligations.

In the long run i would like to see the economy swing away from consumption and service based economies to a more production oriented GDP.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »
"I don't know if that will work as corporations have equal status under the law as soccer moms and working people.
14th amendment cases, basically said a corporation was the same as an individual except for the potential of immortality"

I am pretty sure it can be done....it won't be....but thats another subject.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sen-ernest-frederick-hollings/replace-the-corporate-inc_b_546339.html

http://www.partialobserver.com/article.cfm?id=2661

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/nov/30/20041130-084445-1131r/

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2004/4/20/abolish-corporate-taxes-according-to-the/

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »
At best it will be reduced to european rates.

Hollings wants to introduce a VAT (fair tax) in addition to the income tax.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
The cynic in me is saying that the "Establishment" recognizes the wave of the Tea Party, and is now hoping to co-opt its message, even if they don't fully support it.  It's also why, despite the good intentions that Cu4 has provided for a further new "contract with America", they're only going to bite off that which they can electorally choose.  You won't see term limits, nor complete abolishment of either estate or corporate taxes.  But if they run on what they have "pledged", they may even take the Senate

I particularly like their ideas for "Congressional reform", despite the vagueness associated with it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
A Pledge We'll Live With

The GOP is releasing its much-heralded "Pledge to America" this morning in Virginia. This document has been characterized as everything from a grand plan of governance to mere campaign rhetoric. Comparisons to Republicans' famous 1994 Contract With America are inevitable, but the Pledge has been describes as more broad-ranging and even bolder than the Contract.

In the document, GOP leadership lines out their plan for economic recovery, Congressional procedure reform, balancing the budget and rolling back the massive government expansion of Obamacare. On all these fronts, the GOP has put forth a positive agenda for governance that, though sometimes disappointingly light on details, clearly lays out an alternate vision of the future than what the Obama Administration and the Democrats have in store.

Here are a few highlights from the Pledge to America:
*Give small businesses a tax deduction

*Repeal job-killing small business mandates like Obamacare's 1099 reporting mandate

*Cut government spending to pre-stimulus, pre-bailout levels

*Establish a hard cap on new discretionary spending

*End government control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

*Allow health insurance to be purchased across state lines

*Ensure access for patients with pre-existing conditions

*Expand health savings accounts

*Fully fund missile defense

*Demand an overarching detention policy

*Work with state and local officials to enforce our immigration laws

There's a healthy dose of both short- and long-term vision for the direction the GOP wants to take the country in. Some, like "working with local and state officials to enforce our immigration laws," are responses to events happening right now. But their layout for combating the deficit is real, and their alternative vision for health care reform has definite legs.

Many complain that this will give the GOP something concrete for the Democrats to run against. And conservative blogger Erick Erickson has derided the Pledge as "milquetoast rhetorical flourishes." To an extent this is true. The GOP leadership's number one task between now and November 2nd is "don't blow it." As such, they can't afford to take the kinds of risks that many in the grassroots want them to.

The Pledge doesn't go far enough. Many would have been ecstatic if the GOP merely held a press conference announced that Paul Ryan's "Roadmap" will be their governing document. That would have been truly bold, but would have left the GOP very vulnerable to hollow Democrat attacks. The "Pledge" is a good start, and about as bold as the GOP would and could realistically go at this point.

mirstnkim

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32:45 PM »
It is a start, though it should have been done in the first place.  As a Conservative, I expect my elected officials to do the will of the people.  To cut the costs of spending, live within their budget, and make tough decisions.
I would love to see term limits.  Doubt any of these people would ever vote that in.  Also a balanced budget amendment.
I would truly believe in our officials again, if those two things happened.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
MirstinKim For President!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
I'll 2nd the motion

All in favor?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »
Sorry, the GOP has completely lost me.

Not with their promises, mind you. With their actions the last 10 years or so.

Yesterday's Senate vote on don't ask-don't tell just reaffirmed it for me.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:56:11 AM »
Sorry, the GOP has completely lost me.

Not with their promises, mind you. With their actions the last 10 years or so.

Yesterday's Senate vote on don't ask-don't tell just reaffirmed it for me.

The vote concerning DADT was premature. The working group report has not been submitted to Sec Gates, I think that is due in December. One would think a Defense Authorization Bill would just concern DOD spending, but that isn't the way it works and hasn't worked like that in a long time.

They can always bring it back up for a vote later, that's why Reid voted against it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
If the Pentagons study reports that the Army or the Navy would suffer serious failures to recruit without DADT would that make a difference to the congress?

I don't think it would , the people that really want Gay rights to advance , do not count the cost  , nor acknowledge that a cost is even possible. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
I guess I don't understand why/how H is angry at the GOP for DADT, a Democrat program, put in place by Clinton, and given the circumstances of military actions, makes compromising sense, between denying the ability to serve, to those who are openly gay, and giving cart blanche support to openly gay folks, surrounded by men in hostile enviroments

How that dooms any GOP support, requires some esplainin

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
I guess I don't understand why/how H is angry at the GOP for DADT, a Democrat program, put in place by Clinton, and given the circumstances of military actions, makes compromising sense, between denying the ability to serve, to those who are openly gay, and giving cart blanche support to openly gay folks, surrounded by men in hostile enviroments

How that dooms any GOP support, requires some esplainin

It requires nothing. It was a compromise at the time, regardless of which party put it in place (I don't tend to think in R's and D's like you), and has outlived its usefulness. And it is only one of many actions and ideas the GOP has had the last decade that have greatly disappointed me. I'm done with them. They've turned into the party of assholes.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016