Author Topic: Truths We Dare Not Speak  (Read 14612 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Truths We Dare Not Speak
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »

Now some congressperson who agrees with your position on immigration is free to introduce a bill to change current law, but i don't think the mood of the country right now would encourage passage of same.

Yes, I know. The country is still largely afraid of immigration. And before anyone tells me no they are not, if you're not then why don't you support reducing the restrictions on immigration? On second thought, we've had that discussion before, so nevermind.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »
Now some congressperson who agrees with your position on immigration is free to introduce a bill to change current law, but i don't think the mood of the country right now would encourage passage of same.

Yes, I know. The country is still largely afraid of immigration. And before anyone tells me no they are not..

They're not.  It's ILLEGAL immigration that is the issue.  NOT immigration, in general.  Just thought I'd provide that friendly reminder.  Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

It's ILLEGAL immigration that is the issue.  NOT immigration, in general.

You clearly missed the point of the question. And also, you're wrong.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »
Well, considering I have no problem with legal immigration, and even advocate such, that would make your claim about folks like myself being "afraid of immigration", wrong

I guess you can't be right, all the time     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »

Yes, I know. The country is still largely afraid of immigration. And before anyone tells me no they are not, if you're not then why don't you support reducing the restrictions on immigration? On second thought, we've had that discussion before, so nevermind.

I am all for immigration that is actually beneficial to us. If there any rocket scientists or nuclear physicists looking for a place to land, I am more than happy to have them.

But you'd have quite a bit of talking to do to convince me that a massive influx of uneducated, unskilled laborers is a net plus. Sorry.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »

Well, considering I have no problem with legal immigration, and even advocate such, that would make your claim about folks like myself being "afraid of immigration", wrong

Then answer the question. Why don't you support reducing the restrictions on immigration?

I guess you can't be right, all the time

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »

I am all for immigration that is actually beneficial to us. If there any rocket scientists or nuclear physicists looking for a place to land, I am more than happy to have them.

But you'd have quite a bit of talking to do to convince me that a massive influx of uneducated, unskilled laborers is a net plus. Sorry.

I'm still waiting for the proof that we would have a massive influx if we reduced restrictions on crossing the border. And I wonder who gets to decide what is and is not beneficial. But I can understand your position even though I don't agree with it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »

Then answer the question. Why don't you support reducing the restrictions on immigration?

Because I believe the ones already in place are sufficient, which, don't blink, ALLOWS for orderly LEGAL immigration....thus refuting the notion that folks like myself are "afraid of immigration".  Just because one doesn't support your notion of a near open borders policy, doesn't equate to not supporting immigration.  That's like a leftest who doesn't support measures to decrease an expected increase in a budget, though it still is increased, calling it a cut.  And I know you're not one of those, right?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »

Because I believe the ones already in place are sufficient, which, don't blink, ALLOWS for orderly LEGAL immigration....thus refuting the notion that folks like myself are "afraid of immigration".

You're still missing the point. If you lessen the legal restrictions on crossing the border, you'd still have LEGAL immigration. If the status of legality were the only issue, then you would have no objection to reducing the legal restrictions and allowing people to more freely cross the border. If you oppose reducing those restrictions, then you believe the current restrictions are needed for some reason. Therefore, it is not just about legality, it is about immigration.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
The point being missed here is by you Prince.  Supporting legal immigration is not "afraid of immigration".  If you wanted to qualify your claim as refering to being "afraid of your version of open borders-like immigration", then you might have a leg to stand on. 

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »

Supporting legal immigration is not "afraid of immigration".

Yes, if you want immigration heavily restricted, it is. I advocate legal immigration too, yet you clearly do not support what I advocate. So the issue has nothing to do with legality and everything to do with immigration itself.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »
Good, we're both for LEGAL immigration.  My version simply is more orderly and less problematic to the country.  Glad we have come to some concensus, in that neither of us are "afraid of immigration" in general

And yes, it has everything to do with legal vs not, since support of legal immigration is support of immigration, and NOT "afraid of it"

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »

My version simply is more orderly and less problematic to the country.

In my opinion, the facts do not support that statement.

And yes, it has everything to do with legal vs not, since support of legal immigration is support of immigration, and NOT "afraid of it"

Support of significantly restricting immigration is not support of immigration in general, because support for significantly restricting is support for limiting and inhibiting immigration with intent to keep people out. And every argument I have ever seen for so restricting immigration are arguments of fear of what might happen if immigration were not so restricted. So yes, it is about being afraid of immigration.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »
and i guess fire code building capacity restrictions are actually simply a fear of people.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »

My version simply is more orderly and less problematic to the country.

In my opinion, the facts do not support that statement.

IMHO, they do.  The fact you've applied your own "version" of immigration, to largely be cross our border pretty much anytime one wants, and to apply support of "legal immigration" as simply a massive reduction (if not abolishment) of current laws, and whaalaaaa, its "legal immigration" you support, simply promotes this discussion as one of twisting semantics.  Facts are on my side, as it relates to the massive amounts of financial drain to this country by the massive amounts illegal immigrants.  And simply changing the term to so that its a massive amount of legal immigration, is hardly going to change that hardship on our country

Pre 911, you might have a leg to stand on, Prince.  Post 911, I'm afraid you don't