Author Topic: Tennessee  (Read 4755 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tennessee
« on: April 28, 2016, 03:50:57 AM »
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam has signed legislation that allows mental health counselors and therapists to refuse to treat patients based on religious objections or personal beliefs.

Critics of the law say it could result in discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. As Nashville Public Radio reported earlier this month:

"A group representing gay and lesbian Tennesseans [asked Haslam] to veto the legislation. ...

"The Tennessee Equality Project, an LGBT advocacy group, says the measure will make it harder for gays and lesbians to find counseling — particularly in rural parts of the state where religiously conservative therapists are common."

Haslam, however, said in a statement that he decided to sign the bill because it addressed two of his concerns. He said:

"First, the bill clearly states that it 'shall not apply to a counselor or therapist when an individual seeking or undergoing counseling is in imminent danger of harming themselves or others.' Secondly, the bill requires that any counselor or therapist who feels they cannot serve a client due to the counselor's sincerely held principles must coordinate a referral of the client to another counselor or therapist who will provide the counseling or therapy."

According to The Associated Press, the American Counseling Association "called the legislation an 'unprecedented attack' on the counseling profession and said Tennessee was the only state to ever pass such a law."

As NPR reported last week, the law is "part of a widespread reaction to the national focus on same-sex marriage and transgender rights."

North Carolina recently enacted legislation commonly known as the "bathroom bill," a law that bans transgender people from using public restrooms that correspond with their gender identity. And a controversial so-called religious liberty bill in Georgia — which would have allowed religious officials and faith-based organizations to deny services when doing so would violate a "sincerely held religious belief" — prompted a number of companies to threaten to boycott the state. The governor vetoed that measure.

Copyright 2016 NPR. To see more, visit NPR.

============

Actually, I could almost go along with this one. If I needed a therapist, I don't think I'd want one that took a religious slant to whatever therapy they provided. I would be there to be helped, not preached at.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Actually, I could almost go along with this one. If I needed a therapist, I don't think I'd want one that took a religious slant to whatever therapy they provided. I would be there to be helped, not preached at.
========================================================================
I can see your point.

Most truly professional counselors  do not let their religious beliefs get involved. That is a standard of professionalism.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:14:58 AM »
  Can a therapist refuse to treat a person based on that person rejecting the therapy?

I am mostly sorry that this must be a matter of law and not common sense.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
AA is christain base would they turn people away? What about suicide hotlines?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:43 PM »
I don't think AA rejects nonbelievers. 
People who work foe suicide hotlines would not get the job if they refused to speak to callers baswed on religion.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »
Just poin Out example that christains has example of not denying people.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
Just poin Out example that christains has example of not denying people.

Because the law requires it?

Or because this is the call they made?

Suppose you were a Christian bartender, should you serve everyone everything as requested?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
Suppose you were a Christian bartender, should you serve everyone everything as requested?

And if I were a vegetarian butcher, I would have to sell meat.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
Well actually a business should post what theme they are. If they got christain restrictions then it should be worded out front. Look at the trouble that bakery got for not doing it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
And if I were a vegetarian butcher....

What the hell is a "vegetarian Butcher"??    ???
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »
Definately not vegan. If such a person exist he or she woukd be like me who has no issue with eating meat but just do not eat it for whatever reason. Which means being a butcher will have no ethical conflict. I say thus because im leaning towards to vegetarian side but not for ethical reasons

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:55:37 PM »
Well actually a business should post what theme they are. If they got christain restrictions then it should be worded out front. Look at the trouble that bakery got for not doing it.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Close, anyway. This goes back to the kosher/halal thing I posted before. Still, you can't absolutely refuse to serve someone based on race, creed, religion, blah blah blah,  BUT you can post a sign saying (stay with me here) KOSHER ONLY or HALAL ONLY or NO SHIRT, NO SHOES, NO SERVICE... get the idea? As long as everyone, every legitimate customer, is treated the same within those guidelines.

So, a bakery can make, say, a generic seven-tier wedding cake for anyone BUT, say, refuse to put anything on it that would in any way signify whether it was for a traditional union or a non-traditional one. No little plastic couple on top, or XX loves OO written on it - well, unless they were perfectly willing to do it for everyone. THAT's what I (and others) have been trying to point out. IF a baker, or whomever, isn't willing to provide the service for everyone, even those he doesn't necessarily agree with, he shouldn't be doing it for anyone, not in a public business establishment. Otherwise they should find another line of work.

That's all people are asking for, to be treated the same as everyone else.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
I believe a senator is trying to do this and she's getting flak for this

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »
A vegetarian butcher would be a person who was a butcher by trade, but who had a butcher shop. It is unnecessary for a butcher to kill the animals whose meat he peddles.

I imagine that bakers who refuse to sell cakes to Gays and lesbians are only slightly more common than vegetarian butchers.

There are surely lots of vegetarians and vegans who work as cashiers in places where meat is sold. We do not hear any lawsuits  occurring among them, because it would not be useful in getting the fundie hick vote like defending the "right" of bakers to refuse to sell wedding cakes to Gays or Lesbians.

This is a silly topic, and has attracted silly people.

I agree with Hnumpah on his comments.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
I googled it and thier is a vega n butchershop but they sell meat substitutes.  One of my recent pet peeves is going on there. People who complain about fake meat. If you don't like it don't eat it but don't criticize it shouldn't be made at all. I grew up in a buddhist household and when it come to meat we acknowledge it taste great but prefer not to eat it but that doesn't mean we should deny eating something close if we can. So I grew up eat lots fake meats and love it. I do notice anerican vegitarians can't eat buddhist dishes due it tasting like meat . But back to the vegan butchershop thirr getting flak from the pork folks saying thier tricking people into not eating meat.  I never thought the meat people are starting to act like the radical vegans.