Author Topic: Why is this minority filled school not in the news  (Read 6583 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why is this minority filled school not in the news
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
Why don't you go fix it, genius?

If I had the power, I would.  What I do know, is that it'll never be fixed if the Teachers unions are still running it.  Those that run the unions (not to be confused with the the millions of teachers themselves, but their union bosses) don't include the children's education as their top priority.  Job security is.  As such, they'll fight any reforms that have actually been demonstrated as improving education, because of the potential of competition that would hurt current teachers' job security.  What was that recent program out of DC that nearly EVERY parent thought was great, and WAS improving education, but because it ran counter to teachers unions and their job security, it's being cancelled at the end of the school year.

Not to mention that its tax dollars that pay for it, and the teachers' beneifts and pensions, which keep going up, placing more obligation of the tax payers to pay for it.  I don't think I need to remind some here of the exponential teacher salaries and pensions that CA is obligated to pay its teachers and school administrators.

So yea, if I had the power, I'd fix it......and here's a hint, it doesnt involve or require even MORE $$$'s, than we're already pouring into a failing system.  Only an ignorant moron would believe that we simply need to add more $$$$'s

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
Hmm

Not really sure competition will help; also job security is a tricky thing if it's removed we don't know if thiers enough pro teacher enviro sentiment to staff these schools. You stated teacher gets good pay. But these same teacher also buy thier own supplies for the kids sometimes. This focus to fix teachers is can backfire. My niece has a offer for better pay overseas. So its possible america itself may not fanancially compete in retaining teachers as another factor.i do notice quite afew teachers has done a teaching stint from abroad

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
Hmm...Not really sure competition will help

I'm confident it would, since it helps facilitate one to do a better job of .... whatever, and works ....whever its been tried.  The one area that its really been prevented from occuring is in the Public schools......and we can tangibly see those results

also job security is a tricky thing if it's removed we don't know if thiers enough pro teacher enviro sentiment to staff these schools.

Job security for the sake of simply job security, helps not only maintain the status quo but allows bad teachers to remain entrenched. 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 04:16:24 PM »
The thing is i know teachers who left for lower pay to work at private schools. So thier is other factors involved.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »
That kinda helps reinforce my point, as it relates to Public Schools.  Private schools have greater competition, easier to fire bad teachers, & more opportunity for good teachers to flourish

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
XO says:
That is why there needs to be a national core curriculum of subjects that everyone must master to graduate, and that there be adequate competency tests to assure that this happens. This has been done in other countries and could be done here.

Sounds like NCLB.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
I kinda doubt competition is the reason teachers go to private schools. How about being allowed to teach students? I heard thats the reason teachers leave public school and going to private school and one i teacher i know was a hardcore union member . She taught drama at my nephews high school.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »
Never said it was a reason for teachers to go anywhere.  I said its one of the main incentives in bettering oneself/organization/institution.  When there's competition, there's a sigificant motivation factor that's absent when there is no competition.  Its one of the main reasons anything improves.  And it's one of the main things missing in Public Education

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
But whats the competition to go against?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »
Other schools, out performing them and their test scores

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
NCLB had the right FOCUS but the wrong way of setting criteria and testing results. It was better than doing nothing.

In education, the competition is not one student against another, nor one school against another, but the student against his innate ignorance. Everyone is born ignorant. Education seeks to replace ignorance with knowledge.
In education there should be no losers. Only winners.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 01:22:38 AM »
Who said there has to be a loser?  Is that one of the other reasons there's such a knee jerk negative reaction to competition in schools......the ignorant notion that there has to be a loser??

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 03:07:34 AM »
I believe that has been the core impression of competition. I hear that quote abit. Pretty alot of sports minded people will back it up

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 03:31:43 AM »
Well, I guess it's all about perspective.  Is the Silver medal winner in the Olympic 100meter dash a "loser"?  Is the team that made it to the World Series, but came out on the short end "a loser".  No, it means they didn't win.  Competition breeds motivation.  Motivation is the thing teachers try so hard to harness in their students.  Some teachers have a gift for bringing it out in their students, most don't.  Competition is the cornerstone to pushing/motivating one's self to do better, whether its themself personally or yes, other students.  Do we put a stop to all spelling bee competitions because, *gasp* there's going to be losers??

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:00 AM »
Personally i believe everyone who made it to the olympics is a winner. I would love to be good enough to be in it.

But wouldn't competion encourage teachers to pass students who really didn't earn it?  Private schools and charter schools has better scores by picking who goes to thier school. Also anther factor why teacher take lower pay to go to private school.