Author Topic: Some Things About Traffic That May Surprise You  (Read 3304 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Some Things About Traffic That May Surprise You
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »
Some Things About Traffic That May Surprise You

Drivers seated higher think they are driving more slowly than drivers seated lower, and so tend to speed more often.

Anywhere from 10% to more than 70% of people in urban traffic are simply looking for parking.

More than 80% of traffic in a typical city runs on 10% of the roads.

People who live on streets with more traffic spend less time outside and have fewer friends.

Saturday at 1 p.m. has heavier traffic than weekday rush hours.

Highways can handle more cars at 55 mph than 80 mph.

When roads are closed for construction, traffic on other nearby roads often decreases rather than increases.

SUVs can reduce the capacity of signalized intersections by up to 20%.

It takes longer for people who circle looking for the ?best? parking spot in lots to get to their destination than those who pick the first spot they see.

People are willing to spend longer walking to and from a parking spot in parking lots than on city streets.

A driver driving at 30 mph sees an average of 1320 pieces of information every minute.

The top 10 most dangerous cities for pedestrians in the U.S. are all below the Mason-Dixon line. Five are in Florida.

After thirty seconds of waiting, most people will begin to cross against the light. People are more likely to jaywalk when well-dressed people do it first.

Studies have shown driving aggressively, which raises crash risk and increases fuel consumption, saves just a minute on a 27-mile trip.

350 people die every year entering the freeway the wrong way; at least 50 are killed by cars in driveways.

One in five urban crashes is related to searching for parking.

New cars crash at a higher rate than older cars.

Most crashes happen on sunny, clear, dry days.

More New Yorkers are killed legally crossing in crosswalks than jaywalking.

Drivers drive less closely to oncoming cars on roads without center-line markings.

The fatality risk in the backseat of a car is 26% lower than in the front.

Parents on the ?school run? increase local traffic by a third. Only about 15% of U.S. schoolchildren walk to school.

If everyone waits to merge at the point where a highway loses a lane, rather than earlier, traffic flows better.

U.S. statistics show that half of all fatalities happen at impact speeds of less than 35 mph.

Men honk more than women, and men and women honk more at women than at men. Drivers in convertibles with the tops down are less likely to honk than those with the top up. Drivers honk faster at cars whose drivers are on cell phones. And drivers are more likely to honk at people from another state or country than their own. Drivers honk less on weekends.

The average driver looks away from the road for .06 seconds every 3.4 seconds; drivers search for something in the car 10.8 times per hour.

Pedestrians think drivers can see them up to twice as far away as they actually can.

The most commonly dropped objects on Los Angeles freeways are ladders.

The more Stop signs a road has, the more likely drivers are to violate them.

In the U.S., fuel taxes would have to be raised from 20 to 70 cents a gallon for drivers to fully pay for the cost of roads (unlike in Europe, where drivers pay more than roads cost).

Car drivers drive closer to helmeted cyclists (and farther from cyclists who who appear to be women).

http://tomvanderbilt.com/traffic/some-things-about-traffic-that-may-surprise-you/
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Some Things About Traffic That May Surprise You
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7000908

In order to shave money off its annual $200 million fuel bill, UPS has developed software that maps out driver routes with no left turns.

I really like this idea.

It makes me wonder if a city planner could lay out roads with effeciency in mind , having routes through and around town easily accomplished in a clockwise rotation and rolling against the rotation forbidden?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »
It makes me wonder if a city planner could lay out roads with effeciency in mind , having routes through and around town easily accomplished in a clockwise rotation and rolling against the rotation forbidden?

===========================================
Yes, someone could do this. It would no doubt have to be in a fairly flat place with few rivers and streams. Washington DC was planned to resemble a wagon wheel, with spokes radiating out from the center. Of course, it was built partly on a marsh with a major river in the vicinity, and I think that a gridiron pattern is far more efficient. Salt Lake City is the easiest place to find directions in.

Streets crossing at right angles are easier to deal with than concentric circles when driving, I think. Circles will cause you to have to make turns at varying degrees.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

If everyone waits to merge at the point where a highway loses a lane, rather than earlier, traffic flows better.

Having done more than a little driving in my time, I find that extremely difficult to believe.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »

Having done more than a little driving in my time, I find that extremely difficult to believe.

It's true, if people actually do one-for-one merging, and at speed. The problem comes when you have a line of jerks who won't let someone merge in.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »

===========================================================================
I find it safer to do, but like you, I am skeptical.

People who weave and bob from one lane to another without signaling see to slow things down more than anything else except accidents and stalled cars. Places where there are a different number of toll booths open than lanes of the road a half mile back or so are really scary.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »
The problem comes when you have a line of jerks who won't let someone merge in.

=======================================
I agree most wholeheartedly with this. Here in Miami, we have a lot of dorks who believe that driving on the freeway is some sort of competition in which they lose points by letting someone in. They ignore signals, and believe that it is proper to punish those they disapprove of by honking at them a lot. They seem to believe that this gains them point as well.

I prefer to allow morons to get in front of me, because I can see them and dodge them better.

The most interesting to watch  (from a very respectable distance) are the fools who buy a mattress and lack a rope to tie it down, so four of them grab it from underneath. They tend to be unaware that a mattress can generate a pretty hearty lift at around 30 mph. If the driver takes his hand away to flip a bird or shake a fist or pick an itchy nostril, the mattress will levitate quite rapidly.

I-95 frequently has an ample number of sofa cushions, mattress and mattress particles and ladders along the shoulders with  the "gators" (thrown tire treads).

fatman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
The problem comes when you have a line of jerks who won't let someone merge in.

I see you've been to Seattle.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
I see you've been to Seattle.

Not yet. But in Maryland, a turn signal is taken as a challenge to other drivers to stop you from turning or changing lanes.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:16 PM »
My rule is let one car in, unless they are on a cell phone.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 11:45:22 PM »

It's true, if people actually do one-for-one merging, and at speed. The problem comes when you have a line of jerks who won't let someone merge in.

That isn't generally the problem I've seen. About 5 times out of 10, and I'm guesstimating here, the person who waits until the end of the merge lane to merge with the other traffic is driving slower than the traffic with which they intend to merge, forcing other people to slow down. On top of which, about 1 time out of every 10, the person who waits until the end of the merge lane actually stops rather than merge even if they have room. I know this is anecdotal, but my experience makes me skeptical.

Yeah, if we're talking about one-for-one merging where the people merging have actually accelerated to the the speed of the traffic with which they intend to merge (or at least to interstate speed, say 55 or 60 m.p.h) then yes, I could see how everyone waiting until the end of the lane would make traffic flow better. But that isn't what always happens.

Of course, at the moment, I live in South Carolina, among some of the worst drivers in the nation, that may color my view a bit. But I've driven in several other states, and the type of incidents I described still happened in those places too. I think the only place I've driven for a while and not seen someone stop at the end of a merge lane is California.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
My experience has often been that if I am in the lane that is about to be merged and disappear, there is an increased likelihood that someone in front of me will stop dead, and so will the rest of the lane of traffic.

It seems even more certain here in Miami that the lane that stops totally will be the lane being merged into. All it takes is one inattentive soul to fail to stop and there is a fender-bender and an extended delay for all concerned.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

That isn't generally the problem I've seen. About 5 times out of 10, and I'm guesstimating here, the person who waits until the end of the merge lane to merge with the other traffic is driving slower than the traffic with which they intend to merge, forcing other people to slow down. On top of which, about 1 time out of every 10, the person who waits until the end of the merge lane actually stops rather than merge even if they have room. I know this is anecdotal, but my experience makes me skeptical.

Yeah, if we're talking about one-for-one merging where the people merging have actually accelerated to the the speed of the traffic with which they intend to merge (or at least to interstate speed, say 55 or 60 m.p.h) then yes, I could see how everyone waiting until the end of the lane would make traffic flow better. But that isn't what always happens.

Of course, at the moment, I live in South Carolina, among some of the worst drivers in the nation, that may color my view a bit. But I've driven in several other states, and the type of incidents I described still happened in those places too. I think the only place I've driven for a while and not seen someone stop at the end of a merge lane is California.

Oh hell, none of you have seen traffic and bad drivers until you've seen it here. Take the worst city you know for driving, that has the heaviest traffic, then remove all of the traffic laws (or have them so under-enforced that they're just a joke) and make sure that in most places you can't see the lane markers so everyone just drives every which way they want. No one can just drive in a straight line, one car behind the other - everyone at every second is trying to get around the person in front of them no matter what speed the traffic is moving at.

And merging? Not if you turn on a turn signal. Just push your ass in and hope not to get hit.

And don't forget - honk your horn all the time, at everything and everyone.

I hate driving in Amman.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47:48 PM »
Sounds like bumper cars

fatman

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
Oh hell, none of you have seen traffic and bad drivers until you've seen it here. Take the worst city you know for driving, that has the heaviest traffic, then remove all of the traffic laws (or have them so under-enforced that they're just a joke) and make sure that in most places you can't see the lane markers so everyone just drives every which way they want. No one can just drive in a straight line, one car behind the other - everyone at every second is trying to get around the person in front of them no matter what speed the traffic is moving at.

And merging? Not if you turn on a turn signal. Just push your ass in and hope not to get hit.

And don't forget - honk your horn all the time, at everything and everyone.

I just got back from a neat little trip to Seattle, where there is 8" of snow (I have 18" here at home).  What you described is exactly like Seattle right now, where the news crews get out to report a half inch of snow like it's the second coming of Christ.  I don't know how anyone can live there (or any large urban area for that matter) and have to drive.  I sure couldn't do it.  And I have to go back again tomorrow.

On the plus side, temps are supposed to be below freezing for a week, with more snow expected this Sunday and Wednesday.  Looks like it will be a white Christmas, a rarity here in the Pacific Northwest.