Author Topic: but isn`t he right?  (Read 2850 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: but isn`t he right?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
<<There are plenty of fair skinned Hispanic / Lusitanic people.>>

There are, but I believe this one is Jewish.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
There are, but I believe this one is Jewish.

Xuxa is Roman Catholic.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
You're probably right.  My apologies.  She checks out in Wikipedia as German, Austrian, Italian and Polish background and her father was a military officer.  I'd been told she was Jewish a long time ago by somebody that I figured would know.  That's why I said "I believe" this one's Jewish.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
I didn`t say this
the article I read says this
it also stated the overwelming majority is fairly dark,but the media will show mainly light skin folks.
I think xuxa is polish partly

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 07:03:13 PM »
I'm talking here about the Mexican telenovellas (sp?)
Look at them next time and see the skin color of the rich dudes, and their wives.  Then look at the maids, servants, etc.   
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 09:22:02 PM »
I'm talking here about the Mexican telenovellas (sp?)
Look at them next time and see the skin color of the rich dudes, and their wives.  Then look at the maids, servants, etc.   

Are you talking about the 60s & 70s or now?

Because they've changed much over the years, just like TV in the US.

You could say the same thing about TV in the US in the 50s and 60s.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »
I never saw them back then, so I'm talking about now.  At least 2 months ago when i last watched one, the hacienda owner was very European in features, dark hair and light skinned.  So was his wife.  The maid was of darker skin, and had more Indian-looking features. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »
Getting back to Schwarzenegger's comment, I think he is correct. There is a difference between catching up on the news from Mexico in Spanish (which is reasonable) and spending every minute between dinner and bedtime watching TV in Spanish, if one's goal is to learn English. Arnold is better than average, I think, at learning English, but here in Miami there are hundreds of thousands of people who have been here for decades who cannot pronounce anything in a manner recognizable to an English speaker, even one who has lived in Mexico and is fluent in Spanish like myself.

If you are going to get anything but crappy jobs here, you need English or a major connection with someone Hispanic who owns the business.

I think everyone can learn a foreign language, and should, but it takes either talent and a lot of time and effort, or less talent and even more time and effort.

Missing 1000 telenovelas so far as culture goes, is like missing 1000 sitcoms like Martin or 1000 episodes of Days of our Lives.

Commercial TV is best described as "chewing gum for the mind"

The best thing about telenovelas is the fact that they always end. Within two years if they are popular, less if they aren't.

They are so utterly predictable that pretty much everything about the plot can be determined just by looking at the characters, their dress and body language. Mistaken identity, confusing sets of twins, people getting total amnesia when whacked on the head, and total recall when clobbered a second time, parents who lie about who their children are or aren't... all these are used over and over again. Like the Disney movie, where we always know that the geeky kid will hit the homerun that will win the championship in the last moments of the game, everything is predictable.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 08:18:59 PM »
Xavier,
I was really trying to hear more spoken Spanish so I could maybe brush up on it a little. 
It didn't work out like that, because I couldn't get interested enough to really care what they were saying, I guess.  I should have stuck with news.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 01:52:17 AM »
I learned spanish from reading several books on it and found people thinking I speak uppity.
a friend called it high school spanish
from what I knew isn`t near enough to understand tv.
my friends tell me tv is the worst way to learn spanish,because several show are from different countries so the dialect goes back and forth.