Author Topic: Someday this OUTRAGE will end! - How can anyone not be OUTRAGED?  (Read 7518 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Someday this OUTRAGE will end! - How can anyone not be OUTRAGED?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »
Not sure what you're trying to get at Kimba.  Would you agree that the notion of trying to treat everyone equally literally requires a removal from the notion of group think?.  If not, how can you treat everyone equally, or at least have that as a goal??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
Not sure about the equally part

In academics we get accused of affirmative action despite several school actively raise entry requirements of asians. Even here I hear asian are unfairly stealing college spot from americans.
It's the very reason awhile ago  i asked awhile ago do people outside of california know that some asians actually study hard.

Fun fact: the tigermom actually encourage her daughter to not mention she's part asian knowing it would be lower her chances to getting into harvard. Most part asian students don't mention it for that reason.

What exactly do quota preferences in college have to do with the GOP?

Who complained when Asians were taking minority slots in Berkeley based on academic merit.

What party do they usually belong to?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
not Berkeley
uc san diego and Kramer complained

and that got me thinking about the quotas in general and found quite afew universities place higher requirements toward Asians. hell high school here in san Francisco does it.

I Said the GOP stated we got nothing to complain about. I pointed my main concern is safety.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Kramer is not the GOP.

I think all admissions to college should be merit based. And if that means more Asians get slots so be it.

BSB

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
Kramer is the GOP, that's the problem.

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
If Kramer is the GOP, then Kimba represents all Asians.

And since he doesn't, and neither does Kramer,  there is no problem.

BSB

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 08:34:25 AM »
If Kramer is the GOP, then Kimba represents all Asians.

And since he doesn't, and neither does Kramer,  there is no problem.

Says who, you? That doesn't mean anything.

BSB

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
Well

Not voluntarily, even though san francisco is one of the few cities with a high density of asians. If you work in most business asians will likely be a rare thing to see . So i represent whether i like it or not.
The job i have now is the largest lawfirm in the world and I'm literally the only chinese there. I joke most of the mistake i make is because everything is in english.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
I am all for merit based means for determining who fills limited spots in public institutions, but the main trick is determining how the merit is ascertained.

Asa rule, the tests given are all multiple choice tests.

While choosing between A, B, C or D, DOES reveal a person's knowledge, it does not reveal ALL of a person's knowledge.

For example, if I ask, "Who was president between 1853 and 1857" as a fill in the blank question, it is unlikely most people will get the right answer.

But if I offer these choices, it becomes simple:

A. John Quincy Adams
B Henry Ashton
C. Franklin Pierce
D. Dwight David Eisenhower

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
Well

Not voluntarily, even though san francisco is one of the few cities with a high density of asians. If you work in most business asians will likely be a rare thing to see . So i represent whether i like it or not.
The job i have now is the largest lawfirm in the world and I'm literally the only chinese there. I joke most of the mistake i make is because everything is in english.

Even in Atlanta there is an Asian Community, Sean is different from Lu, who is different from Howard. Even if they are all Hsieh's. In the Computer Industry it was not uncommon to do business with Asians.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Lemme try asking Kimba this 1 more time, since I don't think I understood any answer to it, if it was given......Would you agree that the notion of trying to treat everyone equally literally requires a removal from the notion of group think?  If not, how can you treat everyone equally, or at least have that as a goal??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
Obviously a political party, particularly the current Republican party, is made up largely of like minded people when it comes to their agenda. Asians are made up a vast group of people many of whom may share no agenda at all. So clearly to say that kramer is representative, political agenda wise, of the republicans is very different than saying kimba is representative o Asians.

Only a conservative would make that mistake. 

BSB

BSB

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
No one in this country right now is guiltier of group think than the republicans/conservatives. Further this country from when it was a mere collection of colonies right up the present has been made up of favored groups, and individuals. And those who weren't favored lobbied to become so.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
The Republican Party is an assortment of fatcats, fundies and lumpenproletarians in the process of becoming extinct.

The sooner they vanish as the Whigs have vanished, the better for the nation. They are the turds in the punchbowl of American politics.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
Despite how erroneous the attempted premise happens to be, those last 2 little rants didn't exactly answer the question now, did it