Author Topic: Obama's Speech  (Read 11065 times)

Rich

Obama's Speech
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »
Obama's Speech
By Thomas Sowell
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/03/19/obamas_speech?page=full&comments=true

Did Senator Barack Obama's speech in Philadelphia convince people that he is still a viable candidate to be President of the United States, despite the adverse reactions to statements by his pastor, Jeremiah Wright?

The polls and the primaries will answer that question.

The great unasked question for Senator Obama is the question that was asked about President Nixon during the Watergate scandal; What did he know and when did he know it?

Although Senator Obama would now have us believe that he is shocked, shocked, at what Jeremiah Wright said, that he was not in the church when pastor Wright said those things from the pulpit, this still leaves the question of why he disinvited Wright from the event at which he announced his candidacy for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination a year ago.

Either Barack Obama or his staff must have known then that Jeremiah Wright was not someone whom they wanted to expose to the media and to the media scrutiny to which that could lead.

Why not, if it is only now that Senator Obama is learning for the first time, to his surprise, what kinds of things Jeremiah Wright has been saying and doing?

No one had to be in church the day Wright made his inflammatory and obscene remarks to know about them.

The cable news journalists who are playing the tapes of those sermons were not there. The tapes were on sale in the church itself. Obama knew that because he had bought one or more of those tapes.

But even if there were no tapes, and even if Obama never heard from other members of the church what their pastor was saying, he spent 20 years in that church, not just as an ordinary member but also as someone who once donated $20,000 to the church.

There was no way that he didn't know about Jeremiah Wright's anti-American and racist diatribes from the pulpit.

Someone once said that a con man's job is not to convince skeptics but to enable people to continue to believe what they already want to believe.

Accordingly, Obama's Philadelphia speech -- a theatrical masterpiece -- will probably reassure most Democrats and some other Obama supporters. They will undoubtedly say that we should now "move on," even though many Democrats have still not yet moved on from George W. Bush's 2000 election victory.

Like the Soviet show trials during their 1930s purges, Obama's speech was not supposed to convince critics but to reassure supporters and fellow-travelers, in order to keep the "useful idiots" useful.

Best-selling author Shelby Steele's recent book on Barack Obama ("A Bound Man") has valuable insights into both the man and the circumstances facing many other blacks -- especially those who were never part of the black ghetto culture but who feel a need to identify with it for either personal, political or financial reasons.

Like religious converts who become more Catholic than the Pope, such people often become blacker-than-thou. For whatever reason, Barack Obama chose a black extremist church decades ago -- even though there was no shortage of very different churches, both black and white -- in Chicago.

Some say that he was trying to earn credibility on the ghetto streets, to facilitate his work as a community activist or for his political career. We may never know why.

But now that Barack Obama is running for a presidential nomination, he is doing so on a radically different basis, as a post-racial candidate uniquely prepared to bring us all together.

Yet the past continues to follow him, despite his attempts to bury it and the mainstream media's attempts to ignore it or apologize for it.

Shelby Steele depicts Barack Obama as a man without real convictions, "an iconic figure who neglected to become himself."

Senator Obama has been at his best as an icon, able with his command of words to meet other people's psychic needs, including a need to dispel white guilt by supporting his candidacy.

But President of the United States, in a time of national danger, under a looming threat of nuclear terrorism? No.

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute and author of Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Obama's Speech
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
I suspect that this country is not ready to elect a negro to the highest office in the land.

Rich

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
Not this one anyway.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »
Probably better off with Hillary anyway.

Best to deal with the known. Safer that way.

Rich

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I'm not sure how much this will actually effect his chances with democrats anyway. You've heard democrats disassembling and urging us to "move on" since the entire scope of Obama's advisor's anti-Americanism and racism has been made clear. Black democrats have been voting for him in the low 90 percent range, and White democrats are voting for Mrs. Clinton in the mid 70 percent range. Do African Americans care about this at all? Will White democrats back a winner regardless of his racist associations simply because of White guilt? what about the super delegates? If Obama actually wins the nomination will they put forth Mrs. Clinton instead because this has made Obama unelectable?

As for the known and the unknown, I'll be holding my nose and voting for McCain.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
"I suspect that this country is not ready to elect a negro to the highest office in the land."

When they are, I hope it's one like the one that wrote the article Rich posted to begin this thread.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »
I can't vote for McCain because i don't trust him.

But what bothers me about this whole Wright - Obama thing is the racial underpinnings to the issue. What bothers me more is the likes of Rush, Hannity and other RW pundits joining into the feeding frenzy. They should have let Hillary do the dirty work and keep their hands clean. Lends credence to the whole southern strategy  slur even if that is not truly the case.

Rich

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »
So I should ignore it because I don't want people who think I created the AIDs virus to kill people of color won't like me?

I understand your point, but it won't make any difference to these people anyway. So if Rush, Sean, and myself can persuade people to reconsider their support for a candidate who supports this kind of thing, then I think that's in the best interest of America.

fatman

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »
So if Rush, Sean, and myself can persuade people to reconsider their support for a candidate who supports this kind of thing, then I think that's in the best interest of America.

I'll leave you out of it, because I don't know your motivations, but as for Rush and Sean, they don't convince anyone of anything.  They simply preach to their respective choirs, which, while not necessarily a good or bad thing, doesn't really convince anyone except those that are already more or less convinced, and are just looking for validation.  I've yet to hear of anyone doing a 180 degree turn in their political beliefs because they listened to Rush or Sean.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 11:53:01 AM »
There was no way that he didn't know about Jeremiah Wright's anti-American and racist diatribes from the pulpit.

FYI.

From Obama's speech yesterday:

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely ? just as I?m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

Why is it that you hate Obama MORE than Hillary whom you've hated for years?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »
"I suspect that this country is not ready to elect a negro to the highest office in the land."

When they are, I hope it's one like the one that wrote the article Rich posted to begin this thread.

Have you even heard or read Obama's whole speech?  I don't think you really have because I would think that conservatives would be falling over themselves to acknowledge that he is right considering how they've fawned over and lavished praise on Bill Cosby for the last few years.

Obama has offered Americans of all races to come together and acknowledge their culpabilities in the race issue but it seems all you are interested in is tearing him down over whether or not he was sitting in the pulpit when the preacher said "God DAMN America" which it has already been proven over and over again that he wasn't but he has still gone so far as to repudiate those comments.

BT fears that America is not ready to elect an african-american president but I fear that Americans are not ready to elect a president that talks to them and actually wants to solve problems rather than use them to divide up the electorate for their own profit.

I hope that you'll take the time to put aside your disdain for "other" for a few minutes and actually hear Obama's words beyond the points that you want to use to further your alleged political agendas.  http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/03/18/text-of-obamas-speech-a-more-perfect-union/

It was never my intention to support Obama's candidacy beyond ending Hillary's chances at the nomination but after paying more attention and hearing his speech yesterday, I'm a believer again in his wisdom that I saw a couple of years ago.

http://www.brassmask.com/comment.php?comment.news.38

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
So I should ignore it because I don't want people who think I created the AIDs virus to kill people of color won't like me?

I understand your point, but it won't make any difference to these people anyway. So if Rush, Sean, and myself can persuade people to reconsider their support for a candidate who supports this kind of thing, then I think that's in the best interest of America.

Um, not to labor the point, Stan, but Obama has said that he doesn't support it.  Anymore than Oprah did when she went to church there.

I re-iterate.

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely, just as I'm sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

It seems you're intent on making Obama out to be something he is not and has never been.  This is not racism on your part, it's merely party loyalty run amok.  It would do well for you to re-consider.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
The difference being Brass, if this were my pastor making overt racist remarks that I "strongly disagreed with", I'd have had the judgement in finding a new congregation for the very next Sunday.  I wouldn't be embracing him as my spritual advisor and mentor.  

In other words, it has nothing to do with hate, and everything to do with his judgement
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »
Have you even heard or read Obama's whole speech?  I don't think you really have because I would think that conservatives would be falling over themselves to acknowledge that he is right considering how they've fawned over and lavished praise on Bill Cosby for the last few years.

If it comes down to McCain v. Obama, I've got a tough choice. I don't like either of 'em.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

fatman

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »
If it comes down to McCain v. Obama, I've got a tough choice. I don't like either of 'em.

Would the VP influence your decision?  If so, who would you prefer?