Author Topic: Obama's Speech  (Read 11066 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama's Speech
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »
The difference being Brass, if this were my pastor making overt racist remarks that I "strongly disagreed with", I'd have had the judgement in finding a new congregation for the very next Sunday.  I wouldn't be embracing him as my spritual advisor and mentor. 

In other words, it has nothing to do with hate, and everything to do with his judgement

So, you're pastor has never said anything that you disagree with?  None of your lifelong friends has ever disagreed with you or made cringe-worthy remarks?

I understand this is about making Obama put his feet to the fire for you.  Fine.  Great. 

Obama considers this man as close to him as a father, I would think.  My father has been a blatant and ugly racist for all his life until the last few years and even now, he slips.  Should I disavow my father?  Should I stop talking to him or cast him out?  What if in so many years I, through some sirs'-nightmare-situation get a real shot at being a party's presidential nominee?  Are you going to lambast me because my father is a racist (and not me)?

Obama is following his christian teachings.  Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Score your points and sleep with yourself at night.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »
 Wright makes less diffrence than Senator Obamas attitude twards him.

I think his speech was a success , but I had decided that I didn't like Obama already based on his voteing record , this kurfluffle doesn't ruffle those who have already dedcided , it will make a diffrence only with the people who are still makeing up their minds.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »
Would the VP influence your decision?  If so, who would you prefer?

Possibly. If McCain picks either Romney or Paul, I'd vote that way. I don't know who Obama could pick that might influence me in that direction.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »
The difference being Brass, if this were my pastor making overt racist remarks that I "strongly disagreed with", I'd have had the judgement in finding a new congregation for the very next Sunday.  I wouldn't be embracing him as my spritual advisor and mentor.  In other words, it has nothing to do with hate, and everything to do with his judgement

So, you're pastor has never said anything that you disagree with?

Brass, with all due respect, wreckless racist rhetoric isn't just "anything I disagree with".  And I think you know that, but are letting your fawning for Obama ruin your objectivity

None of your lifelong friends has ever disagreed with you or made cringe-worthy remarks?

Of course not......but I don't embrace them as my mentor and advisor.  And if they were racist, they wouldn't be my friend

Obama considers this man as close to him as a father, I would think.  My father has been a blatant and ugly racist for all his life until the last few years and even now, he slips.  Should I disavow my father?

But he NOT (his father).  A father is something you tend to have to accept...they're family.  they brought you into this world.  A pastor is NOT.  You can leave them anytime for any reason.  And if he were a racist, the leaving should be clocked with the 2nd hand of a watch

Obama is following his christian teachings.  Love the sinner, hate the sin.

So, in other words, he's delusional.  Gotcha
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
What bothers me more is the likes of Rush, Hannity and other RW pundits joining into the feeding frenzy. They should have let Hillary do the dirty work and keep their hands clean.
============================================================================
This might be wise if their goal is to seem like rational individuals, but what would they talk about, if not Obama? They are political commentators, and are pretty much obligated to comment on whatever flaps arise during the week. They have each spent something like 16 years dumping on Hillary, so that is bound to sound like a cracked record to their most loyal followers.

Basically, they are entertainers. Their job is mostly preaching to the converted, who need new nasty things to tell their buddies, because many of them are lacking in the talent to come up with amusing remarks, which are preferable to say, death threats, which few find amusing. Limbaugh is a jerk, but he IS funny sometimes.

If they do not comment on Obama, they are like Moe Shemp and Larry surrounded by banana cream pies they dare not throw.

I don't think these guys have ever actually had clean hands. Perhaps CLEANER hands might result if they were to let Obama be. But I would not hold my breath waiting for that.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
Their job is mostly preaching to the converted, who need new nasty things to tell their buddies, because many of them are lacking in the talent to come up with amusing remarks, which are preferable to say, death threats, which few find amusing.

Kinda like Rev. Wright

Limbaugh is a jerk, but he IS funny sometimes.

While Wright is a racist, and have found nothing he says as humerous
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »
Possibly. If McCain picks either Romney or Paul, I'd vote that way. I don't know who Obama could pick that might influence me in that direction.

I wouldn't mind seeing Paul as McCain's VP, but I'm not sure if I believe that's feasible.  Romney just doesn't do it for me, although I haven't seen him pander to the center, so it's hard to say.

If Obama gets the nod, I think that it is very, very possible that Richardson could be the VP.  Not only for his experience as a diplomat, cabinet member, legislator, and governor, but because he could mitigate the Hispanic vote that could well go to McCain.  If Obama continues to play this theme of change, he could very plausibly opt for a double minority ticket.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »
Would the VP influence your decision?

Absolutely. Odds are they might have to fill the shoes.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »
I think McCain couldn't go wrong with either Romney OR JC Watts.  Those would be my top 2 gut hunches

Rich

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
JC Watts certainly would provide a stark contrast. One more in line with mainstream African Americans.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:11:55 PM by Rich »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
Obama's real problem is Rezko, not Wright. Plenty of fodder there for the pundits.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
Obama's real problem is Rezko, not Wright. Plenty of fodder there for the pundits.

Personally, I think the Wright issue is more the problem.  At least until I hear more detail, Rezko is just demonstrating that Obama is just like practically every other politician when it comes to nefarious campaign contributers

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Rezko leaves Obama open to ethics charges. Wright doesn't.

Rich

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
Obama First White House Contender to Call for Imus' Firing Over Racial Slur
By JAKE TAPPER
April 11, 2007?
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3031317&page=1

In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus' show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

Obama said he appeared once on Imus' show two years ago, and "I have no intention of returning."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »
Rezko leaves Obama open to ethics charges.

Wright leaves Obama open to severe judgement issues