Author Topic: Gun restrictions: OK with us, says Bush administration  (Read 2590 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gun restrictions: OK with us, says Bush administration
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
Well, let me know when some decide to oppose H.R. 1022, a new assault weapon ban.

The bill was written by a Democrat, all the sponsors were Democrats, and it got killed in committee by Republicans. This bill gets submitted every year by a Democrat, and gets killed every year.

Does this really apply to this discussion?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 03:12:56 PM »
And apparently he thinks assault weapons bans are just fine and dandy.

I'd like to see the quote that supports this comment.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 03:17:14 PM »

And apparently he thinks assault weapons bans are just fine and dandy.

I'd like to see the quote that supports this comment.

"Given the unquestionable threat to public safety that unrestricted private firearm possession would entail, various categories of firearm-related regulation are permitted by the 2nd Amendment," he wrote in the brief, the Times reported.

He noted especially the federal ban on machine guns and those many other "particularly dangerous types of firearms," and endorsed restrictions on gun ownership by felons, those subject to restraining orders, drug users and "mental defectives."

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »
And if Clement had merely argued that federal laws about keeping firearms away from the mentally insane and/or violent criminals were okay, then I wouldn't really have a problem with what he said, and I'd be agreeing with you. However, that isn't really what he argued. He argued, basically, federal laws were not subject to Second Amendment challenges.

Actually, from his brief:

The court's decision could be read to hold that the Second Amendment categorically precludes any ban on a category of 'Arms' that can be traced back to the Founding era. If adopted by this court, such an analysis could cast doubt on the constitutionality of existing federal legislation prohibiting the possession of certain firearms, including machineguns.

and

like other constitutional rights, that individual right is subject to reasonable restrictions.

So, I think my interpretation is closer to the mark than your's, and my comparison is apt.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
He noted especially the federal ban on machine guns and those many other "particularly dangerous types of firearms," and endorsed restrictions on gun ownership by felons, those subject to restraining orders, drug users and "mental defectives."

Machine guns and "particularly dangerous firearms" (sawed off shotguns, etc) have been banned for many years (1934). I asked for a quote that supported the "Assault Weapons Ban" - which bans only semi-automatic firearms that LOOK dangerous, but are no more dangerous than common hunting rifles.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »

Machine guns and "particularly dangerous firearms" (sawed off shotguns, etc) have been banned for many years (1934). I asked for a quote that supported the "Assault Weapons Ban" - which bans only semi-automatic firearms that LOOK dangerous, but are no more dangerous than common hunting rifles.

Not quite sure why "particularly dangerous firearms" applies to sawed-off shotguns but not the assault weapons ban. But whatever. I give up. The political right never opposed gun control laws. Just laws that meet some vague concept of going "too far". We're all authoritarians now.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
The political right never opposed gun control laws.

As I have said repeatedly - they do not oppose ALL gun regulations.