Author Topic: Uh ohh....don't look now  (Read 3394 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Uh ohh....don't look now
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 01:42:52 AM »
Speaking of ..... ahem......closed minded, on certain topics      ::)

Sirs, you have never been open minded on this issue....you are the last one I would debate this issue with.

::)

Oh....the irony
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:02 AM »
We really need someone to take up the opposition to most posits.

We don't have a judge calling a winner, do we need one?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 01:45:53 AM »
I notice you did not refute any of the items that your were proven wrong concerning NCLB.

NM previously tested in February. That was one of Cynthia's major complaints. A little digging showed that the state set the date. And the state apparently has just recently changed it.

Another was that NCLB required teaching to the test. Yet nowhere in the law was that stated. Then we find out that incompetent principals were urging teachers to do that, for fear of career repercussions if they didn't try to rig the outcome.

Then we are told that poorly performing schools are penalized. But the truth is more funding is funneled into these same schools (keeping in mind that additional funding is the answer to all our problems, so in a sense poorly performing schools are being rewarded) in an effort to help jump start results.

Perhaps if you focused more upon making your case instead of claiming victimhood or proprietorship of the issue, we could move on and discuss reform. But as long as we disagree with what the law says and who is accountable for implementation or abuse, it is fruitless to move forward.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 01:48:15 AM »
Sirs thinks that teachers are incompetent because they belong to unions, I think.

I hope that the next president will take a closer look at NCLB and also examine what has been done in all those countries where the kids outperform American kids.

I don't think that it serves any purpose to argue about how bad unions are for education, because there is no real chance that teachers will abandon the only national organization that will fight for them and their profession. I don't see businesmen cancelling their subscriptions to the Wall Street Journal or the National Business Journal, either.

Teacher unions are a given and aren't going away. Just like Iraq will always be over there in the Mideast, hanging out near Iran. Not gonna move. Live with it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 01:54:11 AM »
If the class had 30 students, and three were discounted, that would be 90%, would it not?

And if that grade level had 2 classes, and each class was 30 students, that would be 95%, would it not?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 01:58:58 AM »
You are clever with math, but less so at the reality of public schools. The thing is that 3 students were missing from both classes, so only 90% of the grade even showed up. 90% is a pretty high average rate of attendance in my experience.

Having taught in Jr high and Sr high, it was a very rare day when 90% of the class was present. It was more like 75% when I taught in Miami-Dade district.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
Sirs thinks that teachers are incompetent because they belong to unions, I think.

Still racking up that list on how wrong xo can be this week, I see

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:59 AM »
You are clever with math, but less so at the reality of public schools. The thing is that 3 students were missing from both classes, so only 90% of the grade even showed up. 90% is a pretty high average rate of attendance in my experience.

95% have to take the test from each grade level at each school. Nowhere does NCLB mandate that they all have to be done on the same day.

When I went to school, we had "make up days" for standardized testing. Has that become unfashionable?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
Sure, let them have make up days, whatever.

This is a discussion going nowhere, it's all yours.