Author Topic: Madoff  (Read 2888 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Madoff
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »
Your literal interpretations aside, the rationale for you using them is as transparent as one can get....deflection, deflection, deflection
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
You are a waste of time. A total waste of time. You do appear not read anything I write, and probably are incapable of understanding it, anyway. Go tax Harvard or whatever.

Get hosed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »
That would be yet another deflection effort, this time disguised as a kute-lite insult.  Good diversity though.  Perhaps I should apply an X0-like response.  Should I use a fire hose?, a garden hose?  Perhaps you want me to use pantyhose?  If it's 1 of the 2 former, it should be outside, but should a 2nd person be required.  If it's the latter it could be either, but I'm gonna respectfully decline that one, without any further qualifiers of yours added.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:37:26 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:41 PM »
Yes they are.

Obviously you do not know the defintion of "wind fall profit".

Windfall profit defined:
A windfall gain (or windfall profit) is any type of income that is unexpected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windfall_gain
================

Call it anything you wish. The facts are, however these:

(1) Nearly all donations, unexpected or not, come with many strings attached. They must be spent in the manner agreed upon or the university will not get the money or will have to return it.

(2) Anonymous checks are extremely rare. If they are very large, they might go into the university's endowment, or be used to start a new academic endeavor. If not, they will go into the general fund and might cause a drop in tuition. However, there will be some marketing types in the university administration who will say "how can we spend this money for maximum prestige and attention to our image? Rather than just lower tuition for a few years, let us charge what the public is willing to pay, and let us spend this money in such a way as to enhance our image and attract even more donations." So maybe they will give special scholarships to deserving and poor students exclusively, or they could start a program of studies in a trendy subject.

Ah Ha!

Cuba turns out a doctor on less money than we need to graduate a tech school diploma, what determines what an education will cost and should we be willing to p-ay a significant fraction of the income an education will help to produce?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 12:10:32 AM »
Cuba turns out a doctor on less money than we need to graduate a tech school diploma, what determines what an education will cost and should we be willing to p-ay a significant fraction of the income an education will help to produce?

========================
Obviously, what we need to do is to end the embargo and send medical students galore to study in Cuba.

I was just stating what seems to go on in some universities. Education is marketed just like other products. That is the way this country works. It certainly isn't my doing or desire.

And the fact remains that if non-profits are taxed, then the cost of education will go up even more, because if donations are taxed, there will be far fewer donations.

I don;t see this ever happening, just as I do not ever expect any religious group will be taxed.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »
because if donations are taxed, there will be far fewer donations.

Why? The donor will still be able to write off the donation - we're talking about taxing the recipient.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 08:10:03 AM »
The donor will still be able to write off the donation - we're talking about taxing the recipient.

=======================
Because the donor will not donate to a cause that will have to turn over a portion to the taxman when he knows that 100% of what he donates to another cause (such as a church or a foundation) will not be taxed at all.

You could donate to Harvard Business School and only 60% goes to that building or program with your name on it.

Or you could donate to the Famished Children Fund and 95% goes to feed the hungry little tykes. They wil be glad to put your name on their building, too.

Which would you choose?
========================

This is as you are surely intelligent enough to know, a totally moot point. Donations to even the wealthiest universities will never be taxed.

But in the event they were, the above would apply.

When anyone donates money, they do so with at least as much care as they took when they earned it, in most cases.

People tend to donate to charities that will send a greater share of the money to the intended cause.