Author Topic: Obama perfect?  (Read 56327 times)

Cynthia

Re: Obama perfect?
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2008, 07:58:32 PM »
While these numbers are not without flaws, their similarity reveals a concerning fact: Despite the funding increases brought about under NCLB, there are still millions of low income children that are underserved by the very program designed to ensure they were not "left behind."

http://www.newamerica.net/programs/education_policy/federal_education_budget_project/nclb/numbers

and there's even a disclosure within; not without flaw!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2008, 08:00:25 PM »
Of course, we don't teach the test, but we are restricted to teach exactly what is on the test. Period. Thus our kids are not receiving a decent well rounded education. We are forced to teach through scripted programs, etc.

There is nothing in the bill requiring scripted programs, either.

Ok, sure,  there are no punitive mandates stated in the NCLB, but it is implied that systems had better find a way to DO WHATEVER it takes to improve failing schools but at what cost?

Not only are there no punitive mandates, if a school does not meet it's AYP, it gets more money. My, that's a terrible punishment.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:34 PM »
http://www.newamerica.net/education_budget_project/#

If you look at the % of 4th graders who read at the national standard across the states on this map, you will see that most are below 50%.

That is one telling point that reminds me WE NEED MORE FUNDING!

Mass. 44%. Wow.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:26 PM »
The system is underfunded, Ami.

"Underfunded" is not "unfunded".

And the system is not "underfunded".
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »
Of course, we don't teach the test, but we are restricted to teach exactly what is on the test. Period. Thus our kids are not receiving a decent well rounded education. We are forced to teach through scripted programs, etc.

There is nothing in the bill requiring scripted programs, either.

Ok, sure,  there are no punitive mandates stated in the NCLB, but it is implied that systems had better find a way to DO WHATEVER it takes to improve failing schools but at what cost?

Not only are there no punitive mandates, if a school does not meet it's AYP, it gets more money. My, that's a terrible punishment.
WEll, Ami, apparently that's not enough to help the children, is it?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »
While these numbers are not without flaws, their similarity reveals a concerning fact: Despite the funding increases brought about under NCLB, there are still millions of low income children that are underserved by the very program designed to ensure they were not "left behind."

Those figures are bogus. They're taking only the money for NCLB and using that to "prove" that there is not enough money for all students. They need to use the total funding figures in that calculation, not the "bonus" money that is supposed to only be allocated to schools that need it under NCLB, if they're going to use the total students number.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »

How much is needed per student to be "enough"?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »

Bush did NOT say that the war would be swift? Ok---- INSTEAD !  He told the U.S. Military that because of their actions; ?The tyrant has fallen, and Iraq is free? in 2003!

Free yes , peacefull no.

Kinda like Los Angles.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »
Well, we better look out then in 2009! {/quote]

No need to worry, remember, I'm not a teacher.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »
http://www.newamerica.net/education_budget_project/#

If you look at the % of 4th graders who read at the national standard across the states on this map, you will see that most are below 50%.

That is one telling point that reminds me WE NEED MORE FUNDING!

Mass. 44%. Wow.

How do we know these figures?

Were the kids tested or something?

Cynthia

« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:21 PM »

How much is needed per student to be "enough"?

You know, Ami, the bigger issue here for me, is how the kids are subject to being over"kill" tested, and stressed out all because the gov. does not want to leave them behind. That's something I can comment from first hand experience.  I believe that Obama will do more for education than Bush ever did. That's my bottom line. I can and will continue to google articles, facts and figures. But, the reality is there. Kids are not getting what they deserve and it is not the teacher's fault.

The children ARE OVER TESTED. The pressures to teach to the test are a reality, no matter how much you and BT and Sirs want to say that isn't true. It is.

The act, the reaction to the act, the states fault, the teachers' fault--- you all can speculate until the moos come home, but there are problems within and I see it every day. Numbers can come in handy for any argument, but there is an ugly element that continues to be a reality becasue of the way the current act is set up.
You can laugh at the situation and bring in personal hits...like Sirs, against me. That's ok. I am not going to let those insults change my truth. I have taught too long and I know that there is a problem here. I have explained it. I am not Obama, so I can't prove what he is going to do or not. He is obvisously better qualified for office than you or bt.... 8)
and Mr. Sirs ;D

Like I said, whatever Obama can do to help this situation will be better than the current administration.

Cynthia

« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »
Well, we better look out then in 2009! {/quote]

No need to worry, remember, I'm not a teacher.

Ha. That's for sure.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2008, 08:38:50 PM »
Ha. That's for sure.

Which means i am far less likely to cause harm.

Cynthia

« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »
Ha. That's for sure.

Which means i am far less likely to cause harm.

It means that and more, BT.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
The children ARE OVER TESTED.

I don't see how one assessment test per year is "over tested".