Author Topic: Mark Twain  (Read 3761 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mark Twain
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:20:39 AM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Mark Twain
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »
During nearly all of Mark Twain's life, there was exactly ONE Democratic president.

I bet you cannot even name him.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »
So...is the attempted implication here that since it was predominantely non-Democrat presidents, during "nearly all" of Twain's life, then he must have been referring to any and every politician not Democrat??  Seriously??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
   One Republican Mark Twain really didn't like was Teddy Roosevelt.

But was he really a Wilson supporter?

This is a good quote , regardless of party.

Lord Acton was right, and frequent changes is the best we can do.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dalberg-Acton,_1st_Baron_Acton

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
Mark Twain was opposed to the Spanish-American War and opposed to the US mistreatment of the advocates for Cuban, Filipino and Puerto Rican independence. he was especially opposed to the torture of Filipinos by the Marines. He was against the US becoming an imperial power.

He died in 1910. He said that he came in with Halley's Comet in 1835 and expected to go out with it in 1910, and that is what happened.

I do not think that disliking TR made him automatically an ally of Wilson, but Wilson was not elected until 1912.

There was just ONE Democratic president between the Civil War and 1910 and it was not Wilson.

Here is what Mark Twain said about him: "Of all our public men of today he stands first in my reverence & admiration, & the next one stands two-hundred-&-twenty-fifth. He is the only statesman we have now. ... XXXXXXXX drunk is a more valuable asset to this country than the whole batch of the rest of our public men sober. He is high-minded; all his impulses are great & pure & fine. I wish we had another of this sort."

- Letter to Jean Clemens, 19 June 1908
Now you and sirs will have to look it up, won't you?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:49:51 PM »
Why....you still haven't answered my question as to its relevence, in the context of the original quote that started the thread
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »
http://www.twainquotes.com/ClevelandGrover.html

This is hilarious.

As a lot of Twain writing is.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:38:33 PM »

Why....you still haven't answered my question as to its relevence, in the context of the original quote that started the thread

Poor sirs, he thinks that my purpose in life is to answer his exceedingly dumbass questions.

It isn't.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
Never claimed it was, either. 

Poor professor deflection, still arguing points, no one is making, in order to avoid points that are being made.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:32:15 PM »
the quote says "politicians"
most politicians are not presidents
in fact a tiny tiny tiny percentage are ever president
next?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »
So True.....which is what prompted the question as to the relevance of the response xo was making.  Notice how much he's trying to dodge it.  But I think its safe to assume, minus his clarifying it himself, that the reason he posted it was to imply that the predominant WH occupant, during his time, was rarely a Democrat, ergo, there must have been few Democrats overall, ergo, Twain must have been aiming his barbs at any and every other non-Democrat politician. 

Given his track record, would that not be an accurate deduction as to the relevance of his original response?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 11:35:02 PM »
During nearly all of Mark Twain's life, there was exactly ONE Democratic president.

I bet you cannot even name him.

Andrew Jackson?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
Mark Twain made a number of disparaging remarks about Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall, New York City's Democratic machine, and some other corrupt poilicians who were democrats, but the times he lived in, called "The Gilded Age" were the heyday of Republican corruption.

As for all those "points" I am supposedly not answering, answer them for yourself, I am not here for your entertainment. You are not entertaining, as I have pointed out.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
As for all those "points" I am supposedly not answering, answer them for yourself,

Minus any attempt upon yourself, I already have.  The idea was to infer that Twain was aiming his initial comments to anyone not Democrat.  In particular, he must have been emphasizing Republicans, not just politicians in general.

So glad we have you around to divine the real meaning of what people meant to say, vs what they actually say     ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:50:32 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »
Mark Twain made a number of disparaging remarks about Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall, New York City's Democratic machine, and some other corrupt poilicians who were democrats, but the times he lived in, called "The Gilded Age" were the heyday of Republican corruption.

As for all those "points" I am supposedly not answering, answer them for yourself, I am not here for your entertainment. You are not entertaining, as I have pointed out.

He also was born in 1835 ,so grew to adulthood preceding the civil war, a time of severe Democratic corruption.

I interpret the quote as true because it is non-factional, it isn't good for any party or person to have easy access to power and little choice given the people.

Any party left without competition will fall to Lord Acton's axiom.