General Category > Matters of Faith

Outrageous Playboy

<< < (2/5) > >>

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: Cindy on December 17, 2008, 01:33:48 PM ---This unconscionable act is something you wouldn't understand, Ami. You are not a Catholic.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps you should look up the state religion of Austria sometime.

Cynthia:

--- Quote from: Amianthus on December 17, 2008, 01:51:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Cindy on December 17, 2008, 01:33:48 PM ---This unconscionable act is something you wouldn't understand, Ami. You are not a Catholic.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps you should look up the state religion of Austria sometime.

--- End quote ---
Playboy magazine apologized for a controversial cover featuring a scantily-clad woman resembling the Virgin Mary, Reuters reported.

The December edition was published Thursday, just before the Mexican festival honoring Mary known as the Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Playboy Enterprises Inc., based in Chicago, released a statement Friday explaining that the company did not approve the cover because the Mexican version of the magazine is published by a licensee, according to Reuters.

"While Playboy Mexico never meant for the cover or images to offend anyone, we recognize that it has created offense, and we as well as Playboy Mexico offer our sincerest apologies," the company said.

The magazine features model Maria Florencia Onori wearing nothing but a white cloth over her head and chest.

The release was timed to coincide with the annual pilgrimage to Mexico City celebrating an apparition of the Virgin. The magazine's headline reads in Spanish: "We love you, Mary." About 100,000 copies were printed, Reuters said.

"The image is not and never was intended to portray the Virgin of Guadalupe or any other religious figure," Raul Sayrols, publisher of Playboy Mexico, said in a prepared statement. "The intent was to reflect a Renaissance-like mood on the cover."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,466565,00.html

Ami,
This Mexican Playboy cover at the very least shows very poor taste. I don't have to look up nada.

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: Cindy on December 17, 2008, 01:53:40 PM ---This Mexican Playboy cover at the very least shows very poor taste. I don't have to look up nada.

--- End quote ---

Since you won't bother, I'll clue you in. It's Roman Catholicism. That's the way I was raised, and believed, for many years.

And perhaps you should stop using that argument; it's specious at best.

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: Cindy on December 17, 2008, 01:53:40 PM ---Playboy magazine apologized for a controversial cover featuring a scantily-clad woman resembling the Virgin Mary, Reuters reported.

--- End quote ---

"Raul Sayrols, publisher of Playboy Mexico, meanwhile claimed the image 'is not and never was intended to portray the Virgin of Guadalupe or any other religious figure.'"

Cynthia:

--- Quote from: Amianthus on December 17, 2008, 02:00:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Cindy on December 17, 2008, 01:53:40 PM ---This Mexican Playboy cover at the very least shows very poor taste. I don't have to look up nada.

--- End quote ---

Since you won't bother, I'll clue you in. It's Roman Catholicism. That's the way I was raised, and believed, for many years.

And perhaps you should stop using that argument; it's specious at best.

--- End quote ---

I just don't agree with your take on this issue, Ami. You tend to force the hand of another poster by insisting that they LOOK UP something, all the while a bit patronizing----get a clue?  LOL What's up Ami? You seem a bit pissy today.

It's not about being clued in to Roman or not Roman.  I live in NM. Our Lady of Guadalupe is not trivial. Your original point, as I read it. Trivial ??? I just dont' agree that it is so trivial. There is room for argument on trivial vs bad taste. I just believe it to be in very poor taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version