Author Topic: Fantasy Questions for Obama  (Read 6962 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fantasy Questions for Obama
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »
<<How about "Did you have a mentor?">>

Good question for McCain, too.   The answer would be, "Yeah, Charles Keating."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 06:25:09 PM »
Yea, that's why we have on record McCain claiming keating as his mentor.  Oh wait....I can't seem to find it after googling.  I find how he publically conceded poor judgement in the Keating debacle.  I find he was the least punished in the Keating 5 affair, by the investigative body.  Strange, no where can I find McCain claiming Keating as his mentor

I'm sure Tee can produce it for us, however.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 08:03:27 PM »
<<Nope ,I have it on very good authority that failure to sue for liable is tantamount to confession.>>

The best authority possible, as it happens.  However, that authority was speaking of Americans suing Americans in American courts.

You took the words out of context and tried to apply them to Vietnamese jail guards suing former American prisoners in an American court. 

Big mistake.  Wrong application.
The whole Vietnameese government includes no one with the standing to sue?

They should go to England , if his book ever sold a copy there , I hear it is easy because they do not consider a defendant innocent untill proven guilty there.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 08:08:34 PM »
They should go to England , if his book ever sold a copy there , I hear it is easy because they do not consider a defendant innocent untill proven guilty there.
===========================
Innocent until proven guilty is a basic precept of English law. That is where we got it from.

Before the revolution, it mattered whether the accused was a commoner, a nobleman or a clergyman. They had different proofs for each. This is no longer the case.

Innocent until proven guilty is NOT a standard for lawsuits as are criminal cases.

Lawsuits are decided on the preponderance of evidence.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »
===========================
Innocent until proven guilty is a basic precept of English law. That is where we got it from.

Before the revolution, it mattered whether the accused was a commoner, a nobleman or a clergyman. They had different proofs for each. This is no longer the case.

Innocent until proven guilty is NOT a standard for lawsuits as are criminal cases.

Lawsuits are decided on the preponderance of evidence.

So what makes a person accused of Liablel need to prove his case better there than here?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
So what makes a person accused of Liablel need to prove his case better there than here?

I have no idea. I am unversed in the variances of civil law vis a vis the UK and the US.

Maybe Ami knows.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »
I have no idea. I am unversed in the variances of civil law vis a vis the UK and the US.

Maybe Ami knows.

Here is an article that compares the defamation laws of several countries.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
Yea, that's why we have on record McCain claiming keating as his mentor.  Oh wait....I can't seem to find it after googling.  I find how he publically conceded poor judgement in the Keating debacle.  I find he was the least punished in the Keating 5 affair, by the investigative body.  Strange, no where can I find McCain claiming Keating as his mentor

=============================================================================

Still a little challenged in the irony department, eh sirs? 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »

McCain names several Mentors in his Memior , primarily his father and grandfather , but also certain instructors and commanders.

It would be nice if I knew this stuff about BHO but I don't.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 01:33:59 AM »
Yea, that's why we have on record McCain claiming keating as his mentor.  Oh wait....I can't seem to find it after googling.  I find how he publically conceded poor judgement in the Keating debacle.  I find he was the least punished in the Keating 5 affair, by the investigative body.  Strange, no where can I find McCain claiming Keating as his mentor.  I'm sure Tee can produce it for us, however.

Apparently just as challenged as you are in the fact dept
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 02:11:25 AM »
<<Apparently just as challenged as you are in the fact dept>>

Sorry, sirs, we've been down this road before.  I say something ironically, you are either too dumb to get the irony or pretend you don't, insist on treating it as a factual assertion and challenge my grasp of the facts. 

Sorry, sirs, I'm not playing - - have fun with it, though.  Knock yourself out.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 05:01:24 AM »
<<Apparently just as challenged as you are in the fact dept>>

Sorry, sirs, we've been down this road before.  I say something ironically, you are either too dumb to get the irony or pretend you don't, insist on treating it as a factual assertion and challenge my grasp of the facts.

Sorry Tee, unfortunately, that's more idiotically, trying lamely to compare Keating to Wright.  There is none, hense there is no "irony".  Just more of your throwing out whatever, to see what sticks.  And we won't even delve into your anemic "grasp of the facts", which "ironically" was the reference I was referring to.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:01:43 PM by sirs »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »

<<Sorry Tee, unfortunately, that's more idiotically, trying lamely to compare Keating to Wright. >>

Of course you can't compare them, Keating did major time in the slammer for his crimes, Wright merely voiced an opinion.  A perfectly justifiable opinion, too, IMHO.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »
Of course Wright didn't get thrown in jail.  There's no law against being a flaming racist, nor one against a preisdential canidate who embraces that racist as his spiritual mentor.    Sheeesh

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
McCain names several Mentors in his Memior , primarily his father and grandfather , but also certain instructors and commanders.

It would be nice if I knew this stuff about BHO but I don't.

==================================
Lawrence Tribe was one of Obama's mentors at Harvard.