Author Topic: 3DHS Political Wish List  (Read 7955 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 3DHS Political Wish List
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 01:47:16 AM »
(I also like many of the suggestions so far.  I opted to NOT put in for an  RBE style economy just to keep this thread in "reality".)

Excellent decision    8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 12:22:22 PM »

Excellent decision    8)

Don't push your luck.   ;)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 02:10:48 PM »
10 a. Establish a law that all agricultural, construction, and transportation work must be unionized. All contracts must be fulfilled to union standards.

10 b. End all restrictions on closed shop practices.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 03:10:06 PM »
Proportional representation, together with instant runoff elections.
All ballots must be secret, and provide a paper trail for use in the case opf recounts.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »
Free Wi-Fi access to the Internet to everyone, or at least all public schools and libraries in all areas of the country where this is feasible. There are alternate ways (ie cellphone) of providing access to most of the less densely populated areas.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 03:52:44 PM »
Free Wi-Fi access to the Internet to everyone, or at least all public schools and libraries in all areas of the country where this is feasible.

Clinton has already provided the funding to have every library in the nation connected to the Internet. Of course, implementation was left to the states, but I seriously doubt there are many libraries who don't have free, public access to the Internet for all patrons.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »
complete access to education at all levels
the only limit is ones ability to learn.
none of this having to work to pay for tuition.
I don`t care how many people did it succeed.
money should not be a issue on education.
good will hunting is fantasy

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 08:42:57 PM »

Agree.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 09:10:44 AM »
Clinton has already provided the funding to have every library in the nation connected to the Internet. Of course, implementation was left to the states, but I seriously doubt there are many libraries who don't have free, public access to the Internet for all patrons.

================================================
Did you note the words "Wi-Fi"?

I find it illuminative that you said that CLINTON did this. He may have executed the law, but Congress would have passed it.

You might look into your having a mindset predisposed to authoritarian control... ::)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 11:15:19 AM »

Agree.

Ditto

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 12:06:57 PM »
Did you note the words "Wi-Fi"?

Wi-Fi is trivial to add once high-speed access is available. Literally, less than $20, one time.

I find it illuminative that you said that CLINTON did this. He may have executed the law, but Congress would have passed it.

Funding distribution is handled entirely by the executive branch. Congress authorized it, Clinton actually had the funds distributed. Besides, I'm pretty sure it was a law that originated in the White House, probably from Gore. That is done, you know. They have a Congressman and a Senator over for breakfast, and next thing you know, identical bills are introduced in the House and the Senate.

You might look into your having a mindset predisposed to authoritarian control...

You might look into your having a mindset that constantly tries to prove me wrong.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 11:48:37 PM »
You are so often wrong that it seems to come naturally.

Wireless access is hardly trivial, which you might appreciate if you had ever tried to USE a public library computer. Typically, out of five computers, three are out of order and someone is hogging the other two.

Wi-Fi means you could bring your own laptop and surf at will. I think this would be hardly trivial.

In any event, I think the Internet is the greatest tool for public education since the printing press, and that the future of this country depends greatly on everyone having ready access to it. I am all for entire municipalities having Wi-Fi access, cutting out the more expensive private companies, so as to make it within reach of everyone.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 11:58:29 PM »
4% of the national budget devoted to pure science ,
8% devoted to practical Reasearch and development.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 12:03:15 AM »
You are so often wrong that it seems to come naturally.

Talking about yourself here?

Wi-Fi means you could bring your own laptop and surf at will. I think this would be hardly trivial.

I guess it would be "hardly trivial" for you. I have a portable access point that I use when travelling. If I arrive at a hotel that does not furnish Wi-Fi, I hook up my portable access point and have Wi-Fi working in about 30 seconds. The unit itself is about 1/2 the size of a deck of poker cards and has a 300 foot range. It is self-configuring, so you plug it into the existing network and turn it on.

Here's the unit I have for travelling. I have a hardier one for home that includes some on-board firewall software and virus protection.

BTW, I have been using Wi-Fi exclusively for about 6 years. Even my PDA has support for 802.11g and Bluetooth wireless.

Wireless access is hardly trivial, which you might appreciate if you had ever tried to USE a public library computer. Typically, out of five computers, three are out of order and someone is hogging the other two.

I have used public library computers. When I used to go hunting in WV a lot, the area didn't have cell reception (so I couldn't use a Bluetooth wireless connection) nor did any of the businesses support Wi-Fi. So, I went to the dinky little county library. They had 4 computers, all with high-speed access. I rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes, and all 4 worked every time I went there. Worked fine for keeping up with my email and staying in touch with my wife.

It's a shame that the public libraries are so poorly run in your neck of the woods. Maybe you should get some Republicans in to fix up the problems.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:08:24 AM by Amianthus »

larry

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 12:05:28 AM »
I am all for entire municipalities having Wi-Fi access, cutting out the more expensive private companies, so as to make it within reach of everyone.

I agree. Communications is one of the most important political issues of today, I think, the most important issue. Those without access are at a real disadvantage.