Author Topic: Rep. Ney pleads guilty  (Read 2160 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rep. Ney pleads guilty
« on: October 13, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »
 And yet, he's still working.   At least he's drawing a paycheck. 

Rep. Bob Ney pleads guilty to Abramoff bribery charge
POSTED: 11:53 a.m. EDT, October 13, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Rep. Bob Ney pleaded guilty Friday in the Jack Abramoff influence-peddling investigation, the first lawmaker to confess to crimes in a scandal that has stained the Republican-controlled Congress and the Bush administration.

Standing before Judge Ellen S. Huvelle, Ney pleaded guilty to conspiracy and making false statements. He acknowledged taking money, gifts and favors in return for official actions on behalf of Abramoff and his clients.

The 52-year-old lawmaker faces a maximum of 10 years in prison. Huvelle said prosecutors had agreed to recommend a term of 27 months, and said federal guidelines suggest a fine of between $5,000 and $60,000.

Ney did not immediately resign from Congress, and within minutes, Republican and Democratic leaders vowed to expel him unless he steps down.

Beleaguered GOP leaders, struggling to overcome fallout from a separate scandal involving former Rep. Mark Foley and teenage male pages, said they would make Ney's ouster the "first order of business" in a post-election session.

Ney's lawyer, Mark Touhey, told the judge Ney would resign before sentencing on January 19. Under the Constitution, he'll be gone before then. His term expires when the new Congress is sworn in at noon on January 3.

In a statement distributed to reporters after the court session, Ney said, "I accept responsibility for my actions and I am prepared to face the consequences of what I have done."

Ney is the latest in a string of once-influential men convicted in a scandal that so far has caught several lobbyists and two members of the Bush administration.

Abramoff, the Republican super-lobbyist, admitted guilt in January after secretly cooperating with prosecutors for weeks.

Two former aides to Tom DeLay, the former House majority leader, have also pleaded guilty, as has Ney's former chief of staff.

Additionally, Roger Stillwell, a former Interior Department official, pleaded guilty in August to a misdemeanor charge for not reporting tickets he received from Abramoff.

And former White House official David Safavian, who had been the Bush administration's top procurement official, was convicted of covering up his dealings with Abramoff. He is scheduled for sentencing on October 27.

Ney confessed his wrongdoing in a federal courthouse a few blocks distant from the Capitol, where until recently he wielded a chairman's gavel.

The Ohio Republican did not speak with reporters as he entered or left the courtroom. It was his first public appearance since quietly entering an alcohol rehabilitation program last month.

The written statement referred to that. "The treatment and counseling I have started have been very helpful, but I know that I am not done yet and that I have more work to do to deal with my alcohol dependency," he said.

Inside the courtroom, Huvelle spent nearly a half-hour asking the sandy-haired congressman a series of questions about whether he understood the charges and agreed that he had taken money, gifts and favors in return for official actions on behalf of Abramoff and his clients.

At the end she asked him how he pleaded to the conspiracy count, he replied, "I plead guilty your honor."

Asked how he pleaded to the count of false statements, he replied, "I plead guilty, your honor."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/13/ney.ap/index.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Mucho

Re: Rep. Ney pleads guilty
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »
And yet, he's still working.   At least he's drawing a paycheck. 

Rep. Bob Ney pleads guilty to Abramoff bribery charge
POSTED: 11:53 a.m. EDT, October 13, 2006

Just leave him there as a symbol of Repub greed and corruption.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:28:56 PM »
And..........................?

"Ney did not immediately resign from Congress, and within minutes, Republican and Democratic leaders vowed to expel him unless he steps down"

So, what's the beef, Lanya?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

dobberx

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:47:45 PM »
Lanya' s beef IS

"Ney did not immediately resign from Congress"

Guess it went over your head.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »
Lanya' s beef IS "Ney did not immediately resign from Congress"

That'd be a problem with Ney, now wouldn't it.  So, again, what's the beef?  You see anyone jumping up and down demanding that he be allowed to stay?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »
Lanya' s beef IS

"Ney did not immediately resign from Congress"

Guess it went over your head.

Sirs,

He's my congressman, that's my beef.  He's getting paid, he's pled guilty, and he won't be gone until after the election.  (Or after January 2007, I don't know which.)  So will he be voting from rehab?  Makes me mad. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:51:30 AM »
He's my congressman, that's my beef

Ok, that's cool.  Legitimate beef then