Author Topic: Did Gonzalez try to influence Goodling's testimony?  (Read 623 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Did Gonzalez try to influence Goodling's testimony?
« on: June 14, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »
DOJ Investigates if Gonzales Tried to Influence Aide's Testimony

By Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 14, 2007; 1:50 PM

The Justice Department is investigating whether Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales sought to influence the testimony of a departing senior aide during a March meeting in Gonzales's office, according to correspondence released today.

In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee, the two officials who are leading an internal Justice Department investigation of the dismissal of nine U.S. attorneys last year said their inquiry includes the Gonzales meeting, which was revealed during testimony last month from former Gonzales aide Monica M. Goodling.

"This is to confirm that the scope of our investigation does include this matter," wrote Glenn A. Fine, the inspector general, and H. Marshall Jarrett, counsel of the Office of Professional Responsibility.

The disclosure could represent a serious legal threat to the embattled attorney general. Fine's office is empowered to refer matters for criminal prosecution if warranted.

The revelation also broadens the publicly known contours of the internal Justice Department investigation, which is examining the removal of the prosecutors as well as whether any laws or policies were violated in the hiring of career prosecutors, immigration judges and others.

In a May 23 appearance before the House Judiciary Committee, Goodling testified that Gonzales had laid out his general recollection of events surrounding the prosecutor dismissals during a meeting between the two in March, as Goodling was preparing to leave the department. Gonzales asked whether Goodling "had any reaction to his iteration," and she said the conversation made her "a little uncomfortable" because of ongoing investigations into the issue, according to her testimony.

"I didn't know that it was maybe appropriate for us to talk about that at that point, and so I just didn't," Goodling testified. "As far as I can remember, I just didn't respond."

Gonzales has said in a statement that he "never attempted to influence or shape the testimony or public statements of any witness," including Goodling, and that his comments "were intended only to comfort her in a very difficult period of her life."

The meeting occurred several days after OPR had begun its probe into the U.S. attorney firings on March 14. Gonzales told the Senate Judiciary Committee in April that he had not talked to any potential witnesses about the firings "because of the fact that I haven't wanted to interfere with this investigation and department investigations."

Gonzales and many of his senior aides have recused themselves from the U.S. attorneys investigation, which is overseen by Solicitor General Paul D. Clement.

The Justice Department did not have an immediate comment on today's development.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/14/AR2007061400809.html?hpid=topnews
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Did Gonzalez try to influence Goodling's testimony?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:58:28 AM »
The Justice Department is investigating

See right here. What is this crap? Why is Bush caving in to the liberal left media and investigating this very, very bogus "scandal"? He should tell them to go to hell.  How about the DOJ investigate Reno and Bill Clinton for firing every single U.S. attorney, all 93 of them, as an act of craven partisanship.