Author Topic: Hillary shouldn't have to apologize..  (Read 2194 times)

Jwmcc

Hillary shouldn't have to apologize..
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »
So says Mike Lupica of the NY Daily News:

Look to W, not Hil, for 'sorry'

Wednesday, February 21st, 2007

Now that Sen. Hillary Clinton is running for President there is this idea she is supposed to apologize because she ran with the crowd in 2002 and voted for George Bush's war in Iraq.

John Edwards goes after Clinton on this in a big way, Edwards mostly saying he was wrong now with his own vote to authorize the war as a way of getting some kind of early advantage on her.

Sen. Barack Obama goes after her, too, reminding everybody he was against the war in '02 as a state senator from Illinois, which was somewhat like voicing opposition from the bleachers at Wrigley Field.

Clinton, for now at least and maybe forever, does not play along. Instead she stands up in a hall in Dover, N.H., over the weekend and says this:

"I have to say that if the most important thing to any of you is choosing someone who did not cast that vote or who has said that vote was a mistake, then there are others to choose from."

It does not mean that she should win the nomination or that she should be the first woman President or that people who don't like her or her husband should suddenly change their minds. There is too much race to be run, and anybody who tries to call this thing now should have his or her head examined.

It was still the best moment she has had, whatever her reasons for saying what she did. And by not playing along with either Edwards or Obama, it is not as if she were playing to the crowd. She was asked a question in Dover about her refusal to say she was wrong and, according to Michael McAuliff in the Daily News, her answer was given "to a nearly silent auditorium."

The next time she is asked the question, in New Hampshire or Iowa or even South Carolina, she should say that she will apologize after the President does.

Again: You make up your own mind about the senator from New York, and whatever baggage you think she brings to all this. But she would make a better President than the one we have because anybody would. This isn't her war. It is his.

She should say she will apologize right after Vice President Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, the fired secretary of defense, do the same. They are a couple of hacks out of another time, especially Rumsfeld, who must have imagined this country's original strategy in Iraq on the back of a napkin.

Hillary Clinton should apologize for her war vote when this President apologizes for anything, for all the dead and all the wounded, for all the reasons he gave and is still giving for this war. Now, suddenly, the great bogeyman of the conflict over there is Iran. We hear last week from the President that "a part" of the Iranian government is sending explosives to Iraq, and that those explosives have been responsible for 170 coalition deaths.

Clinton was wrong once, the way Edwards was wrong, and Sen. Joe Biden, and Sen. Christopher Dodd. This administration, on the other hand, has been wrong for years, from the time this President first started beating the drums for this war on the first anniversary of Sept. 11. When does he apologize for that, for using Sept. 11, propping himself up on the rubble, to go after a tyrant who had nothing to do with blowing up our buildings?

When does anybody in this administration apologize for the war profiteering that has gone on, practically under all their noses? When do they apologize for not having the proper facilities to handle the maimed and broken soldiers who have made it back half-alive from Iraq and Afghanistan, physically broken or psychologically broken or both?

These are the soldiers whose stories have been told so brilliantly over the past few days by Dana Priest and Anne Hull in The Washington Post, as they have described the shame of conditions at places like Building 18 - what they call the "Other Walter Reed" - across the street from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

"On the worst days," Priest and Hull write, "soldiers feel like they are living a chapter of 'Catch-22.' The wounded manage other wounded. ... Disengaged clerks, unqualified platoon sergeants and overworked case managers fumble with simple needs ..."

This President thinks he can get another hundred billion dollars or so every time he needs the money for Iraq, doesn't think anybody in the Senate should even debate that. But where do these soldiers go for the money to pay for the care some of them are going to need for the rest of their lives? Who do they talk to about that?

Hillary Clinton can admit she was wrong right after Gen. Colin Powell admits he was wrong to throw in with Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld on this war, and the trumped-up reasons for entering into it, in the first place.

Not Hillary Clinton's war. Theirs. It is theirs. She didn't make the world more dangerous than it already was. They did. You want an apology? They go first.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/499486p-421108c.html

The_Professor

Re: Hillary shouldn't have to apologize..
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »
This seems to just be the typical political attack upon the frontrunner. All this is just feldercarb at this point. Once the crowd thins some, then it might get interesting.

Does anyone know, of the current Presidential candidates, who did NOT vote, initially, to support the war? I do not know...anyone?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 05:00:07 PM »
Does anyone know, of the current Presidential candidates, who did NOT vote, initially, to support the war? I do not know...anyone?

Democrat:

Mike Gravel
Dennis Kucinich
Barack Obama
Tom Vilsack
Bill Richardson

Republican:

John H. Cox
Rudy Giuliani
Mitt Romney
Michael Charles Smith
Jim Gilmore
Mike Huckabee
Ron Paul
Tommy Thompson

Of course, most of that list were not in a position to vote either way on Public law 107-243, 116 Stat. 1497-1502. There were two in that list that were in a position to vote and voted no: Kucinich and Paul.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:16:10 PM »
I agree, JW.

Also read today that these NCOs (some of the ones who were mentioned as wounded taking care of other wounded soldiers) are being blamed. That is shameful.  I'll try to find the link.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
"I have to say that if the most important thing to any of you is choosing someone who did not cast that vote or who has said that vote was a mistake, then there are others to choose from."

Just damn.

What she is saying is when she voted for the war she voted using her best judgement at that time. She takes responsibility for that vote.

She also realizes that there is no time machine, the vote can't be undone and live with it she will.

She just moved up a notch in my book.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 09:12:54 PM »
BT, I didn't like her vote, and for a long time I wanted her to apologize for it.
Finally realized it's one of those things: "To those whom much is given, much is expected."
She had the power, she used her best judgement, she's not able to undo it. She was in the hot seat and did her best, with the information given to her.  Who knows? If I had been in her position I may have voted the same way.     

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 09:20:24 PM »
BT, I didn't like her vote, and for a long time I wanted her to apologize for it.
Finally realized it's one of those things: "To those whom much is given, much is expected."
She had the power, she used her best judgement, she's not able to undo it. She was in the hot seat and did her best, with the information given to her.  Who knows? If I had been in her position I may have voted the same way.     

Could you say that in reference to President Bush?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »
Next up, Hillary Clinton. Her opening statement was straight at the union audience, talking about universal healthcare, as well as the right to collective bargaining. She then talked about government contractors and the "privatization" of the federal government, promising to cut those private contracts by 500,000 when she takes office.

Then Steph turned to Iraq. Hillary added a new word to her Iraq points. Her vote in 2002 was "a sincere vote" and she takes responsibility for her vote. She then went on to describe the problems in Iraq. She then talked again about cutting Iraqi funds for their military as being the way to go, putting as much pressure on the Iraqis as possible.

"I want to have universal health care coverage by the end of my second term." - Hillary Clinton
Steph also asked about the Obama - Geffen - Clinton scuffle. She talked about running a positive campaign. To add, her campaign has put out several statements already. But Hillary didn't miss a beat, making sure she said she was "proud to be here in Carson City." Glad to be talking to the people here today. It was an obvious dig at Obama skipping the debate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taylor-marsh/carson-city-democratic-fo_b_41807.html

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:11:55 AM »
Plane:

--------------------
No. I don't think he was honest about so many things, I wouldn't  know where to start. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »
Plane:

--------------------
No. I don't think he was honest about so many things, I wouldn't  know where to start. 

Hahahahahaa

I did not think so.