Author Topic: What Are Palin's Supporters REALLY Like? Sample this . . .  (Read 5842 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What Are Palin's Supporters REALLY Like? Sample this . . .
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »
That's entirely up to him.  Either you're for the Revolution or you're against the people.

======================================================
I don't see there as being any sort of obligation to choose one or the other ever, or even selectively.
If the Revolution says I can only paint Revolutionary paintings or sculpt Revolutionary heroes in the act of being heroic, and I prefer to paint horses or sculpt naked women, then there is something wrong with the revolutionary leadership that decided this.

If the Revolution says my research must be based on Lysenko, and I recognize Lysenko as a fool, then the problem is with the revolutionary leadership. Lysenkoist science leads nowhere useful, as it is based on the false premise that actions performed on organisms after they are born will be inherited eventually.

4000 of circumcisions and the continuing demand for moyels should have educated Lysenko about this, but alas, such did not happen, and Stalinist science was defective as a result.

It would have been great had Lysenko been right, since the New Soviet Man would have been incapable of corruption and egotism, eventually. It pleased Stalin to believe this, and Lysenko was given the stamp of approval.

Anti-Lysenkosists were purged and sent to supervise hog production and the like.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Knutey

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »
plane and hnumpah, I did not mean to offend either one of you.  Sorry if I did.  I'm going to keep a much tighter watch on my use of those terms and probably qualify them if and when I DO use them again so that it becomes crystal clear just who I am referring to.  And who I'm NOT referring to.

That would be appreciated, though I don't see any reason to use those terms at all. If you mean racist or misogynist, or whatever else you were substituting those terms for, why not just use racist or misogynist? Both will, in fact, be found across the spectrum of the populace, not just among the groups you choose to slander. To me it is akin to telling Polack jokes.

This is one of the few cases that I cannot agree with T. I say, if the shoe fits wear it. Also , there is nothing wrong with Polack jokes and I am a Slovak whom my dad called  hi-class Polacks. Those jokes are neither racist or misogynistic. They are ethnic  . The only people that I know that hate stupid Pollack jokes are stupid Polacks . Be offended if it applies to you, but leave funny alone.We have enough sadness & depresion in the world .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Polish are offended by Polak jokes. Ploes dioslike being called Polaks.   

Norwegians tell Norski jokes. Norwegians are never offended if you call them Norskis.
The Norskis in Norski jokes are often dumber than the Polaks in Polak jokes.

There is simply a difference in attitude and sense of humor here. Norwegians have the better of both.

Perhaps it is because Poles had Germans for neighbors, and Norwegians had Swedes, Danes, Finns and the odd Sami.

========================
I always thought this was amusing:

WHITE POWER is seen as a racist slogan.
BLACK POWER is seen as an empowering slogan.
POLISH POWER is seen as a humorous slogan.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:41 AM »
When the racism seemed to develop organically out of the historical or regional experience of large groups, it was a kind of short-hand for what came of that historical development: the racism of the hillbilly developing out of the frontier battles with the Indians and the racism of the rednecks developing out of the need to control the slave population.  Also the complete indifference to human life that went along with the racism made it different than, say, country-club racism or job-discrimination racism.  The racism of the groups that I labelled "hillbillies" or "rednecks" seemed to be a lot more deadly than many other forms of racism.  Anyway, I agree that many people can be lumped as rednecks or hillbillies by origin, ancestry or even  self-definition and yet may have gotten past racism or primitive urges to maim and kill, which is a distinction I should have taken into account and will try to be more careful about in the future.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
Also the complete indifference to human life that went along with the racism made it different than, say, country-club racism or job-discrimination racism.
===================================

The oligarchy decided that there would be slavery and there would be a war between the French and the English was a lot more responsible for the current mess than the slave catchers, the auctioneers, the overseers and the patrollers that enforced slavery or the soldiers who did the actual killing.

The country club types who decided that no Blacks would be hired as supervisors, tellers, garbage truck drivers were also a lot more responsible than the hooting , bare-armed Klansmen that swung the axhandles, led the attack dogs and held the firehoses.

The oligarchy always manages to see that the proper atrocities are committed without getting its hands dirty. This does not make them less responsible.

The demeaning part of being a hillbilly or a redneck is that one is a pawn of others.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
Michael,
I took care of a patient who every morning, cleaned his electric razor very carefully and put  a drop of oil wherever you put it, I don't remember now.
He saw me observing this daily ritual and he said, "I'm just a hillbilly. I like things to last. I've had this for 15 years."
He was a bank president and was well-educated, so what I get from his description is the kind of messages I got from my parents, that you waste not, want not. Make it last, etc. or do without. If you break it, fix it; if you can't, grow flowers in it.  Survive and try to be happy, go on to the next challenge.
:-) Depression-era stuff.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »
Well, that was pretty much my dad's way as well, except that although well able to afford one, he  considered an electric razor a needless and outrageously irresponsible extravagance for sissies and punks who were afraid to nick their skin.  I got three as Bar Mitzvah presents, but I never dreamed of using them and incurring my dad's scorn.  He liked to lather up the old-fashioned way with a cup and a brush, but sometime in the late 50s, he finally agreed to get his Barbasol out of the spray-can.  That and the Gillette safety razor were the only concessions he made to modernity in shaving, but he could never bring himself to throw out his old straight razor and leather sharpening strap.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 01:13:46 PM »
The brush and soap lather actually works better than the spray foam. The difficulty these days is in finding a decent badger brush. Apparently badger breeding is in a slump.

I never liked electric razors, they make my face itch.

The cheapo 12 for $2 razors seem to do a better job than the old safety razors. The new Gillette Mach razors are best by a small degree, but the blades do not last as long as the cheapo razors.

There is a major forum on straight razor use and care in the Internet. Shaving as a hobby, something else.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »
Dick, I laughed my ass off at the print versions of Maher and the last guy, and I can't wait to play the Bernhard tape when I've got a few minutes, but it looks funny as hell too.  I dunno, I don't think Bernhard REALLY wants anybody to get gang-raped by blacks or whites or anyone else in Manhattan, but she's making some rhetorical points and . . .  well, life goes better with a sense of humour.  Just lighten up and enjoy, you don't even have to agree with anything they say.  Some very funny stuff was posted here by a right-wing writer, I didn't recognize the name, but I laughed my ass off then too, regardless of the political POV  being expressed.  Funny's funny.

Anyway, thanks for those three links.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
Let me put it this way, this-

Well, let's put it this way - - he decides the world will be a better place if he fixes people's lawnmowers free in his home.  Some of the lawnmower owners agree.

-has far less to do with my point than this-

Either you're for the Revolution or you're against the people.

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2008, 11:08:45 PM »
Some real charmers, here.....

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2008/09/sandra_bernhard.html

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2008/09/bill_mahers_sit.html

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2008/09/failed_comedian.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I checked 'em all out and they were kind of disappointing.

First, Sandra Bernhard - - the clip didn't show what the text referred to, her threatening Palin with rape by black street criminals if she dared come to Manhattan, so I can't say how that would have been presented.  I think some of the more traditional blacks might have found this offensive, also lots of bourgeois women.  She's a very angry lady and in the clip, I think she was just expressing the anger in political and religious formats, as she often does, but I think I got the point in each format, the religious one was a little easier, I'm not exactly sure what she was trying to say about Palin politically.  It didn't really seem important enough to bother about, frankly.  This was pretty much run-of-the-mill Bernhard, Palin supposedly gave it a contemporary edge, but really nothing new.  She was probably a lot better ten or fifteen years ago, the message never changes, I'm starting to feel kind of sorry for her.  Maybe the rape thing had some funny angle to it in a live performance, but I dunno.  If she came to Toronto, there's a 50-50 chance I'd bother to take in the show.  Our friend can always get passes to some of the comedy clubs, so if it's free I'd probably catch the act just for the Palin rape schtick, but otherwise fuhgeddabowdit.

The Bill Maher stuff was funnier - - Free Levi!! - - but someone should tell whoever created the negative image of Maher ("shit-for-brains") that George Grosz beat him or her to it 75 years ago in a much better, funnier painting.  (We saw the original in Berlin, but I'll be God-damned if I can remember the museum, probably the Neue Nationalgalerie.)  I agree with the Free Levi! stuff except that if he plays his cards right, the baby can live, he can still get an education and maybe more than he'd get if he "lit off fer the Territories," and maybe he and Bristol can craft some kinda life for each other.  OTOH, seems kinda dumb and sad for the guy to get nailed down this early in his young and stupid life, if Bristol wants to have the baby without him, I'm sure they've got the resources in the Palin family to see that nobody goes hungry.

And the last guy was just - - so-so.  But he raised a point, maybe Bristol really needs some counselling because the mum's political ambitions might be causing her to sacrifice Bristol's best interests or even thwarting her will.  What if Bristol really wants an abortion and the mum is exerting undue influence to make her carry to term.  I don't know if simply posting the price of an abortion for Bristol is the answer, but given the apparent lack of interest by the Governor  in her own family members, maybe a court should step in and make Bristol its ward, and then determine what is actually in her best interests with regard to the pregnancy.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
<<When a common man picks up a good education ,what does he become?>>

That's entirely up to him.  Either you're for the Revolution or you're against the people.

In my country , a very strong majority of the people are against the people.

If that makes no sense to you , I blame your paradigm.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
<<In my country , a very strong majority of the people are against the people.>>

That's pure speculation on your part. Half of them don't even bother to vote.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
<<In my country , a very strong majority of the people are against the people.>>

That's pure speculation on your part. Half of them don't even bother to vote.

I am useing your definition.

"Either you're for the Revolution or you're against the people."

So there is no speculation at all only a tiny number of Americans are in favor of another Revolution , a tiny number who favor it either hold conventions in hotel rooms or toss bombs.