Author Topic: Is the Tea Party classical liberalism?  (Read 5435 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is the Tea Party classical liberalism?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:56:45 AM »
Does the Tea party have a primary focus on fiscal matters , or are other ideals weighted the same?

I think that a government that is more responsible fiscally will need to ber less involved in the dayly life of citizens, so the ideas are related and compatable (mostly).

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
Does the Tea party have a primary focus on fiscal matters , or are other ideals weighted the same?

That is the million dollar question isn't it? And who speaks for the tea party and who gets to define who they are? or who gets to expand their role.

Should the tea party be involved in the abortion debate? I don't think so.

Should they be involved in gay marriage issues. I don't think so.

And if they do, i think they cease to be the Tea Party.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
I think it is charming that the Tea Party is almost anarchic , but I don't think its fiscal focus is ruined by some of its members being socially conservative, Who indeed has been rejected from membership?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »
Would Reagan have been comfortable with the Tea Party?

Yes.  The foundation of the tea party is fiscal restraint and constitutional government.  Social issues aren't even seen in any of their talking points.

Both Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain have claimed Tea Party support and both have staked a position on social issues.

Yea....and?  Being supported by the tea party and having certain social issues one might advocate is neither mutually exclusive or automatic removal from tea party support

The more pertinent question is where in the Tea party's plethora of meetings and demonstrations are they ever pushing anything but fiscal discipline and constitutional government??  Have you seen any rallies where they're calling for lower taxes and marriage is between a man & a woman??  I think not
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:19 AM »
Would Reagan have been comfortable with the Tea Party?

Yes.  The foundation of the tea party is fiscal restraint and constitutional government.  Social issues aren't even seen in any of their talking points.

Both Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain have claimed Tea Party support and both have staked a position on social issues.

Yea....and?  Being supported by the tea party and having certain social issues one might advocate is neither mutually exclusive or automatic removal from tea party support.

Good thing I never claimed that.

The more pertinent question is where in the Tea party's plethora of meetings and demonstrations are they ever pushing anything but fiscal discipline and constitutional government??  Have you seen any rallies where they're calling for lower taxes and marriage is between a man & a woman??  I think not

So you don't have a problem with someone like Michelle Bachmann, well known for her socially conservative views, hijacking the tea party movement? I have a problem with that. Wasn't it she who gave the "Tea Party" response to Obama's State of the Union Address at the same time Paul Ryan gave the GOP response?

What's up with that?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:08:31 AM »
I think it is charming that the Tea Party is almost anarchic , but I don't think its fiscal focus is ruined by some of its members being socially conservative, Who indeed has been rejected from membership?

Who would do the rejecting?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 03:20:29 AM »
How the hell is the tea party actively supporting person x translate into person x hijacking the tea party??

Now, back to my question, if you don't mind
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 03:28:30 AM »
So you don't have a problem with someone like Michelle Bachmann, well known for her socially conservative views, hijacking the tea party movement? Wasn't it she who gave the "Tea Party" response to Obama's State of the Union Address at the same time Paul Ryan gave the GOP response?

Who authorized that?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 03:32:07 AM »
what question?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
The more pertinent question is where in the Tea party's plethora of meetings and demonstrations are they ever pushing anything but fiscal discipline and constitutional government??  Have you seen any rallies where they're calling for lower taxes and marriage is between a man & a woman??

If the answer is no, and yet the tea party's supporting Bachman, principally for her positions on fiscal restraint and constitutional government.....how is that again her hijacking the tea party??

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
WE are told that in the TEA Party TEA stands for "Taxed Enough Already", on the theory that the most patriotic act conceivable is to not pay taxes. So historically, they are not classically liberal, they are more like the farmers of the Whiskey Rebellion.

Bachmann is a loudmouth and hates Obama, many of the Teasies are loudmouths and hate Obama. I don't think the hijacked the movement. She is probably as close to the movement politically as anyone who has been or could be elected.

Maggie Thatcher was no liberal, classic or otherwise: she was simply a commoner that ran as a Tory rather than the aristocrats that the Tories normally selected.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
WE are told that in the TEA Party TEA stands for "Taxed Enough Already", on the theory that the most patriotic act conceivable is to not pay taxes.

Nice black and white viewpoint. Here in the real (grey) world, being "taxed enough" means being against paying *more* taxes, not eliminating all taxes totally. It's not purely "taxed at 100%" or "taxed at 0%". There is a whole range in there.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
The more pertinent question is where in the Tea party's plethora of meetings and demonstrations are they ever pushing anything but fiscal discipline and constitutional government??  Have you seen any rallies where they're calling for lower taxes and marriage is between a man & a woman??

If the answer is no, and yet the tea party's supporting Bachman, principally for her positions on fiscal restraint and constitutional government.....how is that again her hijacking the tea party??

Perhaps the question is too subtle for you.

Who here among us has attended a tea party rally? Kramer? Anyone else?
Because that seems to be what determines membership in that group.

Did Bachmann ask you if she could give the Tea Party response to the SOTU?

or did she take that upon herself.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
So the answer to my question is "no"?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
So the answer to my question is "no"?

The answer to your question, irrelevant as it is, is i have no idea.

I have not attended, viewed or audited every tea party rally in the nation since its existence to give a meaningful answer to your question. I can not state with certainty that a speaker at one of these rallies did not discuss social issues. And i'm not so sure you can either.