Author Topic: Yea, this is what the Fed should be doing...the Baby Bond  (Read 6086 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Yea, this is what the Fed should be doing...the Baby Bond
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
Does he deserve more tax relief than you do?
====================================
I have decided that any question with the word "deserve" in it is bogus, especially if we are discussing the difference between say, driving a Chevy and driving a new Bentley as opposed to actual survival.

Take the following example: you have received a free "vacation" to some sunnny resort, and it won't cost you anything, provided that you (a) bring along the wife and (b) both of you hear a short presentation from a time share condo company.

It all goes along well until you hear the salesweasel ask you "Don't you think your lovely wife DESERVES a nice vacation here at least once a year?

The problem ius that the word DESERVE has been used. It is not a fair word.

We all think we deserve the very best, even those of us who everyone would vote the very worst and most undeserving.

We should always strive for the best and most honest government at the lowest cost.

I think most people would agree with this. Whether we DESERVE it or not is not the issue. Do Greenlanders deserve a country that is mostly useless rocks covered with hundreds of feet of ice? Do Africans deserve malaria? I don't think the word is not appropriate for any sort of logical or coherent debate.

Having paid into Social Security for nearly fifty years, I expect it to live up to the promises made to me. I don't think deserve is the proper word.

George Soros' quality of life would not change if he were taxed at 10% or even 40% more.

The issue is whether it is beneficial to the greater society to tax him less or more or at the same rate, because the function of government is to work for both the benefit of the individual and the society that it governs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:56:49 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 03:09:13 PM »
Xo's apparently confusing consistent criticism of inane leftist ideals & proclaimations with being eternally negative.  I guess from as far left as his rhetoric comes from, it could seem that way.

===================================================================================
What far left?  I only have expressed the thought that the society is composed of individuals and some are much less healthy than others, quite often through no fault of their own. Secondly, life is unfair, and gives some a much healthier and vigorous life than others. I don't see where anyone can argue with these observations.

Many aspects of life are unfair, unequal and basically, they suck.

When transportation across the rivers is difficult, we as a society, build bridges. When the land turns into a muddy morass several months of the year, we build cement and macadam highways, and these benefit everyone.

But somehow, if I suggest that it is in the interests of all of us, or perhaps most of us in this society, that we strive to equalize the unfairness of disease and such things as birth defects, Sirs, who I am guessing enjoys great health (and not entirely because of his healthy lifestyle alone) refuses to admit that a national system for sharing the risks of ill health is acceptable as a function of government (unlike the roads and bridges are, for example).

And my advocating that we do share these risks is a violent intrusion upon his well-deserved lifestyle. Why should he pay for the neighbor's kids' autism, my grandmother's hypertension and even his cousin Floyd's heartbreak of psoriasis?

The answer is that this is so his kid's autism, his hypertension, and his own itchy scaly psoriasis will not devour his income or his savings. The health of the many is the health of the one.

That said, I am all for programs to encourage people to live healthier lifestyles by eating healthier foods and exercising more. That is for the benefit of all as well.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 03:27:16 PM »
Does he deserve more tax relief than you do?
====================================
I have decided that any question with the word "deserve" in it is bogus, especially if we are discussing the difference between say, driving a Chevy and driving a new Bentley as opposed to actual survival.

Take the following example: you have received a free "vacation" to some sunnny resort, and it won't cost you anything, provided that you (a) bring along the wife and (b) both of you hear a short presentation from a time share condo company.

It all goes along well until you hear the salesweasel ask you "Don't you think your lovely wife DESERVES a nice vacation here at least once a year?

The problem ius that the word DESERVE has been used. It is not a fair word.

We all think we deserve the very best, even those of us who everyone would vote the very worst and most undeserving.

We should always strive for the best and most honest government at the lowest cost.

I think most people would agree with this. Whether we DESERVE it or not is not the issue. Do Greenlanders deserve a country that is mostly useless rocks covered with hundreds of feet of ice? Do Africans deserve malaria? I don't think the word is not appropriate for any sort of logical or coherent debate.

Having paid into Social Security for nearly fifty years, I expect it to live up to the promises made to me. I don't think deserve is the proper word.

George Soros' quality of life would not change if he were taxed at 10% or even 40% more.

The issue is whether it is beneficial to the greater society to tax him less or more or at the same rate, because the function of government is to work for both the benefit of the individual and the society that it governs.

This is one of your better posts XO. I have also had a problem with the emotional misuse of the worded DESERVE.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
This is one of your better posts XO. I have also had a problem with the emotional misuse of the worded DESERVE.

Are there no uses of this word that are not emotional?

Perhaps all uses of the word are misuses. Perhaps we should not use the word at all in logical discourse.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 04:07:11 PM »
Your post deserves some thought.  ;)
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
Xo's apparently confusing consistent criticism of inane leftist ideals & proclaimations with being eternally negative.  I guess from as far left as his rhetoric comes from, it could seem that way.

===================================================================================
What far left?  I only have expressed the thought that the society is composed of individuals and some are much less healthy than others, quite often through no fault of their own. Secondly, life is unfair, and gives some a much healthier and vigorous life than others. I don't see where anyone can argue with these observations.

The expressions I refer to are the ones that commonly refer to how unfair it is for "the rich" to receive tax breaks, that the government needs to be the primary supporter of any and everything old, frail, or weak, that the government has some obligation to provide everything for everyone, such as health insurance, that Big (insert whatever corporation here) isn't regulated and/or taxed enough, to provide for its employees or community, that man is the key responsible component to Global Warming, that Bush stole the election, and that he is the worst President & administration this country has ever had, etc., etc., etc.  Inane leftist ideals & proclaimations, like that

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »
As if the United States even has a "far left."

to provide for its employees or community

G-d commies. How could anyone promote such an idea!?!
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
As if the United States even has a "far left."

Oh yea.  Those are the ones screaming that Bush stole the election, lied us into war, our soldiers are a bunch of murderous low hanging rapists, crap like that.  Though of course that's not specific to just the far left in the U.S.

to provide for its employees or community

G-d commies. How could anyone promote such an idea!?!

Promote?, yes.....mandate?, I don't think so.  You realize there was a time when companies/employers provided health insurance to its employees as AN INCENTIVE, to come to work for them?  How that's mutated into this requirement that they must is beyond me
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 05:56:46 PM »
Go on, I defy you to name a worse president than Juniorbush.

I will admit that Jeff Davis was worse, but remember, Juniorbush has not finished his term.

Carter failed at a few things, but he didn't start any wars and bungle them horribly. Few died in combat on his watch. Carter has been a rather good ex-president. I doubt that Juniorbush will even come close. His stated retirement ambitions thus far are to (heh, heh) "replenish the (heh, heh "old coffers" by giving speeches to the obscenely rich who enjoy basking in the aura of the obscenely famous. NOT a very positive goal, but perhaps he will come up with a better one. One has to not that Olebush has not come very close to rivaling Carter as a world class ex-Pres.

Juniorbush is a stubborn and rather ignorant man. The country would have been ever so much better off without him and Cheney and Rumsfeld and all those annoying smartass Neocons. Why do you waste your time trying to convince those of us who recognize this that this is untrue? Have your constant tirades changed even one mind?

Perhaps you are indeed a positive fellow and you use this forum to purge your negativity here. 3DHS serves you as a sort of emotional/ideological spittoon, as it were.

Do you really think I would be a better person if I were to advocate letting the hungry starve, the lame tumble down stairs due to a lack of government supplied crutches (or even prosthetics), and the wee little children die of  easily curable diseases?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
Go on, I defy you to name a worse president than Juniorbush.  I will admit that Jeff Davis was worse, but remember, Juniorbush has not finished his term.

Just off the top of my head, Carter FAR suprasses Davis as worst.  There's also Hoover.  I'll get back to you on the plethora of others, far worse than Bush supposedly is

Do you really think I would be a better person if I were to advocate letting the hungry starve, the lame tumble down stairs due to a lack of government supplied crutches (or even prosthetics), and the wee little children die of  easily curable diseases?

Nice straw man, and typical far left knee jerk response....if one fails to support Government intervention in all the above, then they must not care about all the above      ::)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Jefferson Davis was so inept that he lost his entire country.  When he was out of office (he sneaked out of Richmond in ladies clothing), the CSA was soon to be no more. How could Carter have been worse? Because he spoke of a 'national malaise'? Because he allowed Kissinger to set him up for a fall by getting him to support the nasty little dying Shah and keep the Embassy in Teheran open? He was incompetent on a few occasions, but nothing like Juniorbush, not even close.

How many Confederate soldiers died during Davis' term? More than the 3500 lost in Iraq: LOTS more. How many did Carter lose? Damn few at Desert One. Under 30 to be sure.

Hoover was mostly to blame for inaction. He felt about the national economy roughly the way you seem to about the health of the public. It was not the job of government to take action, since it was not the government that caused the problem. So he did nothing. he inspired no one.

Hoover accomplished more helping starving Russians in the 1920's than he did helping his sarving countrymen in the 1930's.

When soldiers came to DC to ask for an advance on their pensions, he sic'd the Army on them. Beat them with clubs, arrested them, burned down their pitiful shantytown, drove them out of town. Still, Hoover did not send any citizens off to die in an unnecessary war in a foreign land.

How would Juniorbush rank against  Van Buren, Fillmore, Polk, Garfield, McKinley, Wilson, Harding, or Coolidge?

He has been awful for TWO terms, by the way, and still shows promise of even greater incompetence and stubbornness.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 06:51:27 PM »
Sorry Xo, but if the determination of soldiers lost in battle is THE indicator as to how bad a President is, FDR must have been worse than..............Hitler.   Definately far worse than Davis and Bush combined.  Come to think of it, Lincoln must have been the worst president ever, using your parameters, given the % of our population that died during the Civil War

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 07:20:15 AM »
It's not the number lost in battle, silly, it's the number lost in a futile war.

I don't think Lincoln was the genius he was made out to be. If he had turned over Ft Sumter to the locals, perhaps the3 war could have been avoided.

Juniorbush is still the worst in my book.

Cheney is indisputably the absolute worst VP too.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
It's not the number lost in battle, silly, it's the number lost in a futile war.

Futile is completely subjective, and OPINION silly, so your qualifying parameter just became null & void, from an objective standpoint

Juniorbush is still the worst in my book.  Cheney is indisputably the absolute worst VP too.

And we thank you for those non-substantive subjective far left opinions

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »
And we thank you for those non-substantive subjective far left opinions

================================================
"We?"

And thank you for informing us that you now carry a frog in your pocket.

If you were to join with "Conservatives 4 Less Government", you could more accurately refer to yourselves in the plural.

Form a pair of ratwing clowns to something resembling a nascent circus.