Author Topic: Just for fun  (Read 2139 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just for fun
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:01:02 AM »
For one night every month, Turner Classic Movies has a a "guest programmer" pick three to four films that the person talks about the the TCM host Robert Osborn, and TCM shows the movies. I wondered the other day what I might pick if I were going to be on. That reminded me of a question a friend asked once, something about "what movie do you think says something about you" or something like that. And then recently BT posted the YouTube video that used clips from "It's a Wonderful Life" to make a point about banking.

I say all that to set up this question: if you could choose three or four films that you think represent something about what you believe, politically, socially, philosophically or any combination of those, what would you choose and why?

I'll start.

My Man Godfrey (1936) This is a wonderful screwball comedy about a wealthy family who take in a "forgotten man", i.e. a hobo who lives at the city dump, as their new butler. The family is nutty, though not all is as it seems. I think the movie makes a good point about the way to help people in need not being government handouts but entrepreneurship and job creation in the private sector.

Shenandoah (1965) Set during the Civil War, it tells the story of a family that has been raised with a decidedly libertarian view of things. The patriarch of the family, played wonderfully by James Stewart, is trying to keep his sons from the war. That doesn't go as planned. It is a decidedly anti-war film, but it is more importantly, I think, about the importance of family and the harm that comes from authoritarian attitudes in government. One of my favorite moments in the film is when a Confederate officer comes by the farm asking for the sons to enlist. The officer says that Virgina needs all her sons, and Stewart's character replies that his sons do not belong to the state.

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) A more grim look at the effects of the Civil War and the danger of arrogant government action than "Shenandoah", but a still a beautiful film. There is a moment of dialog I particularly like, between Josey Wales and the old Indian Ten Bears.

Josey: I came here to die with you, or live with you. Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me; it's living that's hard, when all you ever cared about has been butchered or raped. Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well I've come here to give you either one, or get either one from you. I came here like this so you'll know my word of death is true. And that my word of life is then true. The bear lives here, the wolf, the antelope, the Comanche. And so will we. Now, we'll only hunt what we need to live on, same as the Comanche does. And every spring when the grass turns green and the Comanche moves north, he can rest here in peace, butcher some of our cattle and jerk beef for the journey. The sign of the Comanche, that will be on our lodge. That's my word of life.

Ten Bears: And your word of death?

Josey: It's here in my pistols; there in your rifles. I'm here for either one.

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.

Josey: That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another.

Serenity (2005) A marvelous film that seemed to not get the attention it deserved from the wider film-going audience. This is a science fiction film about a small band of outlaws who unknowingly carry a secret the government will do anything to keep from being revealed. Josh Whedon, who wrote and directed the film, is not libertarian but manages to get it right anyway. One of my favorite lines in the film is when the Operative, a government agent coming after the outlaws, tries to tell the leader of the outlaws, Malcolm Reynolds (played by Nathan Fillion), that he cannot beat the government agents, and Malcolm says in return, "I got no need to beat you. I just want to go my way."

There are other films I could mention in more detail, but these four seem like a good start. So anyway, which movies would you choose?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:04:56 AM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Just for fun
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
Nothing? Really?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Gimmie time Prince.....I'll get back to you, on this.  Serenity was a great flick btw.  Too bad it bombed at the box office.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
Obviously, Casablanca, IMHO the greatest movie ever made, says something about what I believe in - - fighting fascism, killing Nazis and making the world a better place for all of the racially oppressed minorities.  Goes back to the time of my childhood when the U.S. were the good guys, and stood for a better world.  Also it played the world's greatest national anthem, the Marseillaise, from start to finish and dramatized it further with heart-felt shouts of Vive la France! at the end of it.  One of the most emotionally powerful scenes ever depicted on film.  Fantastic cast of leading characters, Bogie, Ingrid Bergman and Hans Conreid, and an incredible supporting cast of characters including Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet.

Another one, almost as good, with a great Clifford Odets script, was The General Died at Dawn, starring Gary Cooper and Akim Tamiroff as the evil Chinese warlord, General Yang.  Great story of American adventurers in China in the years prior to the American entry into WWII.  Great character actors include William Frawley (Bill Mertz of the I Love Lucy show) as the drunken American gun-runner whose booze-addled character accidentally kills General Yang and Porter Hall as the weaselly, cowardly father of Gary Cooper's romantic interest, Madeleine Caroll.  One of the best endings ever, well-acted although highly improbable.  Again, the American ultimately intervenes on the side of the good guys (probably Communist revolutionaries, though the film never makes that explicit) against Yang and his corrupt army and their European (probably Nazi) advisers.

Those were two that came to mind instantly.  If there are two more, I'll get back to you on them.

BSB

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
Gone with the Wind

I saw it when I was about 12 or so. It exposed me to a lot, but most of all it brought home to me the temporariness of both our individual lives and the lives, as well as the philosophies that supposedly unite them with us, of our governmental, legal, civic, social, and etc. institutions.

----------------

The Ox-Bow Incident

This was a western, staring Henry Fonda, about mob rule, lynching, innocent until proven otherwise, going off half cocked, and so forth. Again, I saw this when I was about 12 or 13 and its truths are timeless. 

Interestingly, although the movie wasn't about it directly, Henry Fonda had personally witnessed the 1919 Omaha race riots and lynching of Will Brown. So, he had seen mob rule up close and personal.

--------------

Lonely Are The Brave

Like Gone with the Wind, Lonely Are The Brave is about the end of era. It stars Kirk Douglas as the last of a bread and as a symbol of the American west itself.

While much of America's love affair with the "rugged individual" is based on myth, and while it is a myth that can cut both ways, it will always be a favorite myth of mine.

-----------

Another of my favorites, The Outlaw Josey Wales, has been stolen by a Libertarian. That's kinda like being locked in a library in Purgatory.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
It stars Kirk Douglas as the last of a bread

Rye? Pumpernickel? Sourdough?

ROFL
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »
7 grain

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
Gimmie time Prince.....I'll get back to you, on this.

SIRS I see you as Harrison Ford in "Air Force One"!

Me...well thats easy....I am Gus (Robert Duvall) in "Lonesome Dove".

I have a feeling BT is a lot like the Honorable..Captain Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones)

Lonesome Dove - Gus Dies

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
 :)   hehe......thanks for the compliment Cu4.  I'll take that under consideration when I have time to consider 3-4 myself 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:39:33 PM »
Enemy mine

Time bandits

Onionhead

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
Not sure if this a goofy question, but are the movies to be chosen that of what we are, or what we wish we could be, in the sense of philisophical/ideological/political beliefs?

Does that makes sense?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
I am very fond of:

The Sand Pebbles and Papillon  with Steve McQueen.
Groundhog Day
McCabe and Mrs Miller.. Warren Beatty and Julie Christie.
All the Lonesome Dove Series.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Year of Living Dangerously
Rainman
The Last Emperor and 1900 directed by Bertolucci

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Here are the other two - -

Doctor Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - - at this point, I was probably already convinced that the biggest threat to world peace came from Washington, not Moscow, but the film, a beautifully-shot B&W thriller with farcical overtones, reinforced all my prejudices with style and humour.  Peter Sellers was magnificent in all three of his roles, but particularly as Dr. Strangelove, graphically representing the fusion of old-world Nazi insanity with the demented American militarism of the Cold War.  That theme was taken even further in The Music Box, with Jessica Lange, which dealt specifically with the absorption of European Nazi collaborators into the American state security apparatus - - obviously a greater threat than the absorption of merely scientific and technical personnel.  It (Strangelove) didn't just promise apocalyptic fantasies, it delivered them, albeit in an overly broad satirical manner, which I think contributed to the audience enjoyment of the experience by considerably lightening the mood of the message.  I remember exiting the theatre and remarking at the time on the more or less up-beat nature of the crowd, despite the disturbing theme and discussing the fact that however serious its motif, a film (bottom line) still has to entertain.

And another long-time fave, The Parallax View (Warren Beatty, Paula Prentiss and Hume Cronyn,) confirming all my paranoid fantasies of the Secret Government and the pre-determined conclusions of various governmental investigations of political assassinations, such as the Warren Commission.  The opening and closing scenes of the film, both featuring almost identical parodic versions of the Warren Commission and its Report, both ring true and are particularly scary in that the final Commission Report (if watched carefully) seems to go even further in the direction of a fascist state than the first one.  Some particular gems from the body of the film - - the initial assassination in Seattle; Beatty's retort to the Sheriff's Deputy who is attempting to provoke him into a barroom fist-fight; the psychological test film that The Parallax Corporation shows to its potential (psychopathic) hired assassins; the ominous musical background with the mournful trumpet solos that foretell another assassination or killing; and the last political assassination of the film.  A more recent development of the theme of a secret government of totally unaccountable assassins was the Coen Brothers' Burn After Reading, an even darker POV, but leavened with some very funny scenes.  (a very funny Brad Pitt, Frances McDornand and George Clooney, hilarious small part played by Tilda Swain as a cold-blooded English bitch, and two guys playing an agency guy and his boss who are realistic and hilarious.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:41:28 AM by Michael Tee »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »
I also thought Reds was very well done.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 11:31:43 PM »
Gotta agree with XO on Reds, Groundhog Day and The Year of Living Dangerously.

Reds puts you right into the Russian Revolution and the life of John Reed, who not only was there (and still is, buried in the Kremlin Wall - - I saw his tomb, and those of other foreigners, in the Kremlin Wall when I visited Moscow) but reported it back to us.  Without him, some of the key scenes in the Revolution would have been lost to history.

The Year of Living Dangerously had Sigourney Weaver in one of the sexiest roles I've ever seen her in - -  a really beautiful woman! - - and I thought the scenes of the Indonesian coup and the massacre that followed had an immediacy and a realism that were way ahead of any newsreel I've ever seen.  This was like a first-hand introduction to American imperialism that no amount of reading material could ever provide.  My only quarrel with the film was that the dialogue was somewhat stilted in part (fortunately, not in the love scenes) and particularly the dialogue written for the character Billy Kwan (the dwarf.)  Some of it was just totally embarrassing, as if written for a high-school play.

Groundhog Day is another film that I love.  It's non-political, but it addresses a powerful nostalgic urge (BSB would probably call it a refusal to accept change) something that for a short time (the running time of the movie) enables us to escape the linearity of time and turn back the clock.  I think it's more than a coincidence that the tune on the morning radio that's always playing every morning the protagonist wakes up is Sonny and Cher's I Got You, Babe, an iconic tune of the mid-Sixties.  I'd bet that most of the audience for Groundhog Day would love to be back in the Sixties, to be always a part of that age cohort that would "never trust anyone over 30" and in fact would love for it to be 1965 forever.  My bet is:  Show me a Groundhog Day fan and I'll show you a guy who's in love with the Sixties, so in that regard, yeah, that film DOES reveal the essence of its fans.