Author Topic: gays and lesbians more acceptable than homosexuals  (Read 3107 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
gays and lesbians more acceptable than homosexuals
« on: February 12, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
No, that subject line is not a typo.

http://tinyurl.com/yhqowg5
         The wording of the question proved to make a difference. Seven in 10 respondents said they favor allowing “gay men and lesbians” to serve in the military, including nearly 6 in 10 who said they should be allowed to serve openly. But support was somewhat lower among those who were asked about allowing “homosexuals” to serve, with 59 percent in favor, including 44 percent who support allowing them to serve openly.

Democrats in the poll seemed particularly swayed by the wording. Seventy-nine percent of Democrats said they support permitting gay men and lesbians to serve openly. Fewer Democrats however, just 43 percent, said they were in favor of allowing homosexuals to serve openly. Republicans and independents varied less between the two terms.

Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: gays and lesbians more acceptable than homosexuals
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
It's all in the presentation.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
Interesting that Republicans and Independents tended to ignore the difference in wording (when the words really meant the same thing) but for Democrats "a rose is apparently not a rose" - if you change the name, I guess it changes what the name describes for Democrats.

And this also tracks with Democrats being against "civil unions" even if said union includes every benefit of marriage - changing the name changes what the name describes, for them.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »
Good assessment, Ami

Can't help but recall the egregious efforts made that homosexuals were being denied said benefits if they were to "limit" themselves to a civil union.  Here, is one of the few areas that REASONABLE compromise could be made, but too much zealotry, most predominant from the hard core liberal side, clearly produces a scenario that doesn't want any such compromise
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:27:07 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
And this also tracks with Democrats being against "civil unions" even if said union includes every benefit of marriage - changing the name changes what the name describes, for them.

====================================================
And where exactly is it that a civil union includes every benefit, INCLUDING those from private companies and organizations, such as insurance companies and hospitals?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
And where exactly is it that a civil union includes every benefit, INCLUDING those from private companies and organizations, such as insurance companies and hospitals?

Where is it that these benefits are mandated for heterosexual couples from private companies. Civil unions could easily include language defining dependents and partner rights.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:49:47 PM »
Civil unions could easily include language defining dependents and partner rights.

============================
Perhaps they COULD, but I don't think that this is the case.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:54:10 PM »

and if they did, would that be an acceptable compromise?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »
Don't hold your breath, Bt
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:32:13 AM »
  Perhaps thisis a case to prove the value of simbol and nuance as opposed to substance.

Civil union could be made equal to Marrage or even superior in in some substantial way , but still remain seaprated from holy matrimony. The satisfaction will not be in the improved benefits.

Social approval, as opposed to opprobrium, is the diffrence.

Homosexuals do not need either one for any practical reason, unless you consider honor to be practical.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:37:47 PM by Plane »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »

Really? Which civil union legislation are you looking at?

It would be trivial to include in civil union legislation that a civil union can be regarded as a marriage under all legal agreements.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:02 PM »
The silence speaks volumes     ;)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
It is fine with me if there is a national Civil Union law that is entirely equal to marriage. It is silly to have a situation in a highly mobile nation where people are frequently changing jobs and moving from one state to another, where they can be married in this state, have one sort of civil union in that state and be arrested for sodomy in yet another. Not being gay, this does not matter in any personal way to me, but I am all for justice and equality, and I do not think that such things are best left up to local referenda: it is obvious to me that allowing Steve and Adam to marry does not affect anyone but them and their rights. They can live together as any other married couple almost anywhere in the country, and whether there is a piece of paper somewhere that says they are married or joined in a civil union harms no one in any way and affects no one in any way more than bisexual marriages. If a church chooses not to marry a gay couple, that is there perogative, and I have no problem with including in the law that no clergyman/woman should be forced to marry anyone that he/she does not wish to marry.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
actually civil unions does effects heterosexual people.
a civil unions is not exclusive to gays.
meaning couples with children out of wedlock can for legal or financial reasons get a civil union and avoid the massive baggage a marraige has.

for some reason people publicly won`t except marraige itself is not self-sustainable