Author Topic: Apparently, abusing dogs is a typical Repub past time.  (Read 583 times)

Knutey

Apparently, abusing dogs is a typical Repub past time.
« on: August 26, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »
Wednesday, Jun. 27, 2007
Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation
By ANA MARIE COX

The reporter intended the anecdote that opened part four of the Boston Globe's profile of Mitt Romney to illustrate, as the story said, "emotion-free crisis management": Father deals with minor ? but gross ? incident during a 1983 family vacation, and saves the day. But the details of the event are more than unseemly ? they may, in fact, be illegal.

The incident: dog excrement found on the roof and windows of the Romney station wagon. How it got there: Romney strapped a dog carrier ? with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it ? to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest.

Massachusetts's animal cruelty laws specifically prohibit anyone from carrying an animal "in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhuman manner or in a way and manner which might endanger the animal carried thereon." An officer for the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals responded to a description of the situation saying "it's definitely something I'd want to check out." The officer, Nadia Branca, declined to give a definitive opinion on whether Romney broke the law but did note that it's against state law to have a dog in an open bed of a pick-up truck, and "if the dog was being carried in a way that endangers it, that would be illegal." And while it appears that the statute of limitations has probably passed, Stacey Wolf, attorney and legislative director for the ASPCA, said "even if it turns out to not be against the law at the time, in the district, we'd hope that people would use common sense...Any manner of transporting a dog that places the animal in serious danger is something that we'd think is inappropriate...I can't speak to the accuracy of the case, but it raises concerns about the judgment used in this particular situation."

Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, was less circumspect. PETA does not have a position on Romney's candidacy per se, but Newkirk called the incident "a lesson in cruelty that was ... wrong for [his children] to witness...Thinking of the wind, the weather, the speed, the vulnerability, the isolation on the roof, it is commonsense that any dog who's under extreme stress might show that stress by losing control of his bowels: that alone should have been sufficient indication that the dog was, basically, being tortured." Romney, of course, has expressed support for the use of "enhanced interrogation" techniques when it comes to terrorists; his campaign refused to comment about the treatment of his dog.

As organizer of the Salt Lake City Olympic Games, Romney came under fire from some animal welfare groups for including a rodeo exhibition as part of the Games' festivities. At the time, he told protesters, "We are working hard to make this as safe a rodeo for cowboys and animals as is humanly possible."

Find this article at:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1638065,00.html
Copyright � 2007 Time Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Privacy Policy|Add TIME Headlines to your Site|Contact Us|Customer Service

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Apparently, abusing dogs is a typical Repub past time.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
Romney: Dog 'enjoyed' riding on car roof

Romney is taking heat for the way he transported his dog on family trips.

(CNN) ? Under fire from a leading animal rights group, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney defended the family dog's mode of transportation to a 1983 summer vacation.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) criticized the Republican presidential hopeful after The Boston Globe reported that Romney transported his dog in a rooftop carrier when the family drove from Boston to Ontario.

"If you wouldn?t strap your child to the roof of your car, you have no business doing that to the family dog," Ingrid Newkirk, president of PETA said in a statement. "I don?t know who would find that acceptable."

The article noted that Romney had built a wind shield carrier to make the ride more comfortable for the family's Irish Setter.

But on the campaign trail in Pennsylvania Thursday, Romney defended his chosen mode of transportation for the family dog.

"He scrambled up there every time we went on trips, got in all by himself and enjoyed it," Romney said of the Irish Setter.

Romney also conceded any endorsement of his candidacy by the group was unlikely.

"PETA has not been my fan over the years. PETA was after me for having a rodeo at the Olympics," he said in reference to his role as chief executive of the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. "PETA was unhappy when I went quail hunting in Georgia, and they're not happy that my dog likes fresh air."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/06/29/romney-is-in-petas-doghouse/

Knutey

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:47:11 PM »
"He scrambled up there every time we went on trips, got in all by himself and enjoyed it," Romney said of the Irish Setter.

Rrrriiight. And the Abu Ghraib personers fought to be on the bottom of the pile as well. If you believe that known lying sack of shit, Romney, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you. Of , course you simpletons  love to be fooled as you have been by the Bushidiot.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:50:57 PM »
You're just pissed because Romney had a real dog.

Not some drop kick hairless chihuahua lapdog whose best trick was humpimg your leg on command.

Knutey

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »
You're just pissed because Romney had a real dog.

Not some drop kick hairless chihuahua lapdog whose best trick was humpimg your leg on command.

Sadly my sweet doggy Sancho has left this vale of tears after a lengthy bout of cancer. He was my pal and never humped me like you let your dog do to you apparently.He was an English Bulldog which is much bigger and nicer than your miniature pinscher .

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:13:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Mine is a shepherd lab mix, found lost in a kroger parking lot in the middle of a storm. Her biggest regret is she has no thumbs.

Knutey

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 09:53:31 PM »
And you bet your ass I think Vick got off easy ( These pix are not for the squemish)

http://people.monstersandcritics.com/features/article_1331377.php/Falcons_QB_Michael_Vicks_cruel_dog_kennel

Only you heartless Repubs think that money can pay off the tortured.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »
No money went to the tortured.

The money just didn't go to Vick's pockets. So once afain you get it wrong.

And meanwhile PETA gets a Pyhrric victory of sorts, but these are the same folks who think throwing paint on human beings is OK.

Knutey

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:30:22 PM »
No money went to the tortured.

The money just didn't go to Vick's pockets. So once afain you get it wrong.

And meanwhile PETA gets a Pyhrric victory of sorts, but these are the same folks who think throwing paint on human beings is OK.

I have been away for awhile so I forgot that you morons were such literalists.