Author Topic: EU aims to criminalise Holocaust denial  (Read 27862 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: EU aims to criminalise Holocaust denial
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2007, 06:13:18 PM »

This law, or more accurately this framework for a law being passed down by the European Union, is a product of much more than a question of freedom of speech.

Of course it is. The does not mean, however, the notion of freedom of speech has minimal or no bearing on the matter.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2007, 12:10:55 AM »
<<woud you want it to be against the law for someone to state tha slavery "wasn't so bad"?>>

No.   Let's say someone wrote a book on why internment camps were really a good idea, and maybe we should have some again today for people of  Middle Eastern origin.

I'd want to know who that person was and quick, so I could avoid them like the plague and warn others against them.

By their fruits ye shall know them.   

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2007, 01:14:25 AM »
<<woud you want it to be against the law for someone to state tha slavery "wasn't so bad"?>>

No.   Let's say someone wrote a book on why internment camps were really a good idea, and maybe we should have some again today for people of  Middle Eastern origin.

I'd want to know who that person was and quick, so I could avoid them like the plague and warn others against them.

By their fruits ye shall know them.   

Great!

I wish I had said that.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2007, 04:14:33 AM »
But, Plane, that may be because this is a vast country.   I'm not worried about immigrants taking over and denying history. 
If I lived in a small European country, I might very well worry about that, with good reason.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
Seems to me the way you trump deniers is to preserve and document evidence to the contrary.

Not sure if making denial illegal solves the problem, in fact it may feed into their conspiracy mindset.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
I can't favor legislation to tell people how to think.

Precisely

Amen!

George Orwell anyone?

Someimtes, JS gets too Euro-centric in his thought processes.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2007, 09:31:24 AM »
To think otherwise is sheer folly. The French, by 1941, were a shell of a force, the Brits were literally backed up against a wall, the Aussies were few in number and on and on. Js, your statements are inaccurate Are the Gators still paying their players?

You must mean Florida STATE. Peter Warrick is still shopping in Dilliards, last I heard. The Vols gonna go to the Basement Bowl again? Or, maybe the Citrus Bowl? Ya'll know THAT ONE really well, The Old Ball Coach says...
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2007, 04:56:35 PM »
But, Plane, that may be because this is a vast country.   I'm not worried about immigrants taking over and denying history. 
If I lived in a small European country, I might very well worry about that, with good reason.

Do they have better reason than we do?

Viva La Raza

http://www.aztlan.net/

http://insidewoodland.com/laraza.cfm

http://www.cafepress.com/lacucaracha/204113

One of these days the Nativists will triumph and the low birth rate of Europeans will be solved by the return of all the American cousins.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
If my country were small, and had lost several million of its citizens during WW2, I would consider Holocaust denial as the possible beginning of just another such awful period.  And I'd think of it the same as shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater. 

You must learn from history. You can't say, "Oh, that will never happen again, we are all over that."

As far as I know, Hispanics have never denied the Holocaust happened. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2007, 07:16:38 PM »
If my country were small, and had lost several million of its citizens during WW2, I would consider Holocaust denial as the possible beginning of just another such awful period.  And I'd think of it the same as shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater. 

You must learn from history. You can't say, "Oh, that will never happen again, we are all over that."

As far as I know, Hispanics have never denied the Holocaust happened. 

An effort to rewrite hstory is going on.

I wouldn't want to forbid it , there are errors that can be corrected ,but to do so for political reasons tends to skew the result.

Since it is hard for a historians to exist outside of politics , a better solution is t encourage a competition.

domer

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »
Holocaust denial may be compared to either the match or the fuel for a feared conflagration that could again consume Europe, and all the smoky points short of that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
This is a littbe bit besides the point, but I recall not that long ago, how I was being criticised because I kept referencing the holocaust in my apparent non-criticising of Israeli immigration practices.  How I was completely ignoring all other forms of "mass murders & ethnic clensing" at the hands of other countries, such as Turkey apparently. 

Why isn't that being brought up now?  Why is the Holocuast the end all be all of all mass murders, to the point it's even being advocated that denial of that event should be criminalized??  Where's the consistency?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2007, 01:35:49 PM »
The Holocaust is Europe's crowning entry in the category of outrage, much like slavery and Indian slaughter are for the United States.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2007, 01:51:03 PM »
The Holocaust is Europe's crowning entry in the category of outrage, much like slavery and Indian slaughter are for the United States.

and......................?  Sudan & Turkey are no biggies?  It's ok to deny them, but to actually make it criminal to deny the Holocaust?  Hmmmmmm, I'm still sensing some major inconsistencies in that line of reasoning.  And since it's so on par with slavery & the Indian slaughter, perhaps we need to criminalize those such denials, right here in the U.S.  Wait, free speech you say?  Isn't our intimate perspective of what happened here on par with their perspective of what happened there?? 

How about a Global Thought Police on par with Interpol to deal with such irregularities
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

domer

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
You're talking like a crackpot now, so I'll see you later.